Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Advice for "intermediate" rider  (Read 17266 times)

skyhawk99

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Honda Shadow
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2015, 09:29:59 pm »

OK I know you guys are probably tired of these questions but here goes anyway. I am new to the forum so hopefully this is a good place to start.

I rode a lot as a youngster mostly dirt / motocross. Last year I decided to start riding again and did the MSF Basic. Was reasonably easy for me considering I had not ridden in maybe 30 yrs. I purchased a small cruiser (Honda VLX 600) to get some wheels under me again and it's been going well. I only scared myself a few times  Bigsmile and I have been working on being smooth and safe every time I ride.

But... I am feeling a bit board and uncomfortable on that bike. It lacks power for anything over about 50 mph.  I am nervous on highway situations because its buzzy and a little unstable to me.

I have been thinking sport touring might be the way to go. I don't want the big heave cruisers (maybe an HD someday to annoy the neighbors) and I am over 50 so hugging the tank does not appeal.  I am trying to get some ideas about a good next step. I have not ridden anything yet (hard to get a test ride) but I have been surfing the web looking at things like FJRs ,BMW K1200s, Triumph Sprint STs, etc.  I am 5'8 200lb with 30in inseam. I want something that has a decent riding position. I would like to go in at a low price (4-6k - lower is better) to get a feel for what I REALLY want.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I on the right track or are there some intermediate choices I should look at?

Thanks much!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 10:22:00 pm »

V Stom 650 or Versys. They're the Swiss Army Knifes of motorcycles.   Mellow enough for a beginner, and the devil to keep up with under an experienced rider.  Either will carry enough for an extended trip.  As easy to handle as an FJR at normal highway speeds.  Much less intimidating.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:30:19 pm by Skee » Logged

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this [email protected] keyboard.
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1106

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 10:27:46 pm »

I would suggest going "naked" first.....you really don't need anything in the "sport-touring" area to take care of what you seem to be concerned about.  Additionally, you will find that if you keep away from fully fared bikes of 1000cc and above, your insurance rates will be considerably less.  Even the Kawazaki ZRX, Suzuki Bandit, and Yamaha FZ1 models, even though they are 1000cc and above, because they are "naked" bikes are cheap to buy no insure.  If you really want a fully fared bike of the "sport touring" type, I'd suggest an older Kawasaki Concours, which is still cheap to buy and insure.  Keep in mind that full size sport tourers are also heavy bikes and won't be as nimble and easy to ride in the twisties as lighter bikes.  I used to think I needed a liter bike tour on, but I've only got 600cc bikes now and they work just fine, even for multiday rides.  I've had the ZRX, FZ1, and Concours in the past, and while they where fine bikes, I just think they are overkill for 99% of the riding I do anymore.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Advertisement

slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 384

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 09:46:39 am »

If you're over 50 and looking at used motorcycles, I don't think the cost of insurance is much of an issue.  That may depend on the state you live in so I would check first.  

If you are near New York, I have a very used '05 Sprint ST I will sell you very cheap.  I rode it daily until I bought a Tiger last week.  I plan to use the Sprint as a winter ride if I don't sell it.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:52:47 am by slvrsprint » Logged

IBA #8027
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1106

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 09:55:00 am »

If you're over 50 and looking at used motorcycles, I don't think the cost of insurance is much of an issue.  That may depend on the state you live in so I would check first.  

I'm well over 50...added a new Thruxton to my bikes this past spring and insurance doubled, so it depends on bike and insurance co.  I switched insurance companies, after 10 years with the same one, and got a much better rate.  Generally speaking though...number of cc's IS important, along with repair costs ( which are always higher for a full faired bike v a naked bike. ). Keeping your bike under 1 liter seems to lower insurance costs in virtually every case I can find.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 384

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:14:57 am »

I made the assumption that a low price, used motorcycle wouldn't need full coverage.  The cost of repair isn't a factor if only insuring for liability.

I added a Tiger and a Bonneville with full coverage to my insurance over the last 2 months and it only increased $120 per year.  I consider that cheap.  I also said it depends on the state you live in.  Many variables.  Insurance is never an apples to apples comparison.  They even take credit rating into consideration.

That's why I said to check first.

IBA #8027
Delegate1k

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2007 FJR1300A, Wee-Strom 05 (deceased)
GPS: Colchester, Ct
Miles Typed: 352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:00:13 pm »

OK I know you guys are probably tired of these questions but here goes anyway. I am new to the forum so hopefully this is a good place to start.

I rode a lot as a youngster mostly dirt / motocross. Last year I decided to start riding again and did the MSF Basic. Was reasonably easy for me considering I had not ridden in maybe 30 yrs. I purchased a small cruiser (Honda VLX 600) to get some wheels under me again and it's been going well. I only scared myself a few times  Bigsmile and I have been working on being smooth and safe every time I ride.

But... I am feeling a bit board and uncomfortable on that bike. It lacks power for anything over about 50 mph.  I am nervous on highway situations because its buzzy and a little unstable to me.

I have been thinking sport touring might be the way to go. I don't want the big heave cruisers (maybe an HD someday to annoy the neighbors) and I am over 50 so hugging the tank does not appeal.  I am trying to get some ideas about a good next step. I have not ridden anything yet (hard to get a test ride) but I have been surfing the web looking at things like FJRs ,BMW K1200s, Triumph Sprint STs, etc.  I am 5'8 200lb with 30in inseam. I want something that has a decent riding position. I would like to go in at a low price (4-6k - lower is better) to get a feel for what I REALLY want.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I on the right track or are there some intermediate choices I should look at?

Thanks much!

Here's a list to start.  I know these are the "new" models but you can find some of the older ones cheap.

Top 10 Mid-Displacement Sporty-Tourers

Imagination is Intelligence at play. :}
skyhawk99

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Honda Shadow
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:00:06 am »

Great Feedback! I will do some more research I guess.

Thanks Everyone!
AutoXer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW F800GT, 2015 Triumph Bonneville
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 213

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »

Suzuki GSX1250 "Bandit" - it's returning to the U.S. this year and it is excellent.  It offers a nice torquey motor with a relaxed personality that can rev nicely when you want it to, a smooth transmission, it's roomy enough for long rides, comfortable for two-up riding (some don't like the seat, but that's an easy fix), you can fit great luggage to it for full-on touring (I have the Givi V35 sidebags and Givi V47 top case) ... it does it all at a reasonable price.  Cheap to maintain, cheap to insure, mine does 40-42 miles per gallon (U.S.) on my very short commute, 46-48 highway (70-75mph or more) and clears 50-52 mpg on moderate speed country roads ...

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/preview-the-2016-suzuki-bandit-1250s

jZ

Just because I don't know where I am does not mean I am lost
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3540

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:32:54 pm »

What will you be spending most of your time doing on the bike?

Commuting? (open hi-way or heavy traffic?)
Weekend or longer getaways?
Back Road scratching?

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
cyclopathic

Reputation 7

Miles Typed: 846

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 08:43:37 pm »

Are you planning/want to do long multi-day trips? 100℅ solo or perhaps occasional 2up? 100℅ pavement or perhaps occasional unpaved?

As suggested above Versys or V-Strom while not a sport-touriers inexpensive do it all bikes. Ridden both and choose 'strom for 2up and off-road capability. By any means no dirt bike but it will get you through when the pavement ends.

For 100℅ road fjr, Connie, Sprint ST or vfr, or older bmw twins should be in your price range. For more off-road capability KLR

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

visited 30 states (60%)
Create your own visited map of The United States http://douweosinga.com/projects/visited?region=usa
jay547

Reputation 258

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3068

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 06:20:03 pm »

Hopefully, he got a bike by now.  Wink

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal