Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: what brand helmet?  (Read 13036 times)

Dan K

Reputation 110

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:25 pm »

Revzilla appears to have a descriptor for the shape of the helmets it sells - if you always like Nolan, the couple I looked at have a pretty neutral shape, right in the middle between narrow and round heads.

If that's you shape, you should pick a Nolan or other helmet that has a similar shape.

I personally like my Arai Corsair, but it was insanely expensive despite the good fit and finish and venting. My daily helmet is a Shoei Neotec - modular, with a pinlock visor, still pretty quiet, pretty comfy, nice quality.Both of these are slightly on the round side, but Revzilla really does appear to show you the shape of each helmet they offer for sale.
One of my buddies is a loyal AGV customer, loves them.

Assuming you are properly fitted in a neutral helmet, find some helmets that are the right shape, THEN decide. Hope that helps

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 05:19:17 pm »

Revzilla appears to have a descriptor for the shape of the helmets it sells - if you always like Nolan, the couple I looked at have a pretty neutral shape, right in the middle between narrow and round heads.

If that's you shape, you should pick a Nolan or other helmet that has a similar shape.

Another + 1 on this advice!

In addition, Webbikeworld keeps a log of helmet shapes on the lids they test.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

ffb13

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: bmw
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 08:02:55 am »

webbikeworld is your best source.
i just received yesterday my new helmet. a schuberth C3...now discounted to $500. by revzilla. the replacement ,the c3pro is over $750 and not to be discounted for a while.
this is about the best you can get ,but ,it is modular ,all mine have been modular except for a shoei .
the key is FIT.
i have a head that is 59.6  and the llarge on schuberth is too tight ..the xl is loose . i ended up with the xl and will now add some fabric inside around and behind liner to compensate or maybe send it back.
Advertisement

Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 10:20:45 am »

Beyond fit, which is 80% of the game, the rest of it comes down to which features and performance are important to you.

For me... ventilation is absolutely No.1!  I live and ride here in hot and humid weather, and nothing goes on my head unless it can flow enough air to keep my nogging cool.  The X-11 was best I could find.  It was loud as all get go but boy does it flow some air through all them vents.  I love my first one so much, I bought another one on closeout before they were all gone.  The X-12 is probably better, but for my purpose, I didn't see paying another $300 to get the latest.  I use it mainly for spirited rides and track days.

For everyday riding though, comfort and convenience are also important.  So I bought a Neotec.  Flip up lid, built in pockets for speakers, integral visor, and pinlock make for a lid that is very easy to live with.  Ventilation is a big challenge for helmets with integral visor.  I can definitely tell Neotec is not as good as X-11, but it is one of the best ventilators with a built-in visor.
ToadRide

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2014 V2
GPS: Nelson BC
Miles Typed: 1113

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 10:32:13 am »

I have certainly noticed my Neotec's ventilation. It is truely the best I've had for topside cooling when the sun is beating down. But, I've also noticed noise difference when you open the top front vent. Lets a lot of wind noise in.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:44 am »

Ventilation is a funny thing.  While I believe my Neotec vents better than my old C3, I find the lid to be a bit unbearable once temps reach in the 90s.  When it's that warm out, I'll wear my XD-4 dual sport helmet.  I used to wear my track day lid on hot days, a Corsair V, but it's well beyond its freshness date now.  Lol  Nothing vented better than that Arai.  But, it was noisy whereas the Neotec is very quite in comparison (not bad for being a modular).  

That said, while I may find the Neotec's ventilation to be OK for most riding, someone may find its venting to be better or worse depending on the wind flow from the bike they're riding and the rider's position on the bike (tilt of head and height of rider).  I find that with slight changes to tilt of my head, ventilation changes significantly.  
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 12:55:02 pm »

In addition, Webbikeworld keeps a log of helmet shapes on the lids they test.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

This a great link for future reference  Bigok

I'm going to move this thread to the Gear & Apparel Section and pin it  Smile

scarecrow

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: '08 Kaw KLR650, '09 Kaw ER6n
Miles Typed: 102

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »

I tried one of the cheaper second tier helmets. It was a $180 Hawk with Bluetooth and although it initially looked and felt like quality it rapidly deteriorated. In cold weather it squeaked and made constant cracking noises. It's aerodynamics were so terrible that the howling and shrieking of the wind made the Bluetooth only useable in the living room when everyone was gone and the house was completely silent, then you could hear the speakers, sort of. Since then I've paid much closer attention to the reviews of other owners. I now wear a Nolan, $345. It was worth the extra money. I still use the Hawk ... as a parts bucket.

The lifeboat is sinking. We have two choices, start swimming or sink to the bottom and start walking.
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »

Ventilation is a funny thing.  While I believe my Neotec vents better than my old C3, I find the lid to be a bit unbearable once temps reach in the 90s.  When it's that warm out, I'll wear my XD-4 dual sport helmet.  I used to wear my track day lid on hot days, a Corsair V, but it's well beyond its freshness date now.  Lol  Nothing vented better than that Arai.  But, it was noisy whereas the Neotec is very quite in comparison (not bad for being a modular).  

That said, while I may find the Neotec's ventilation to be OK for most riding, someone may find its venting to be better or worse depending on the wind flow from the bike they're riding and the rider's position on the bike (tilt of head and height of rider).  I find that with slight changes to tilt of my head, ventilation changes significantly.  

Once ambient goes much above 93F, you really only want just enough air flow to evaporate sweat off you scalp.  Any more air flow, especially directed at your face, and the hot air only adds heat to your cooling load.  Sames as with wearing gear.  You actually want to cover up your body to shield from the hot ambient air, and only allow enough air flow to evaporate off sweat.

See here: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
tjhess74
Burning old dinosaurs is what I do

Reputation -17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: North Charleston, SC
Miles Typed: 2160

My Photo Gallery

two of my favorite things...

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »

I have become a big fan of LS2 helmets.  I have about 30k miles on my FF386 (full face modular).  It is worn daily and the interior has had numerous trips to the washing machine.  The liner still looks new, and the only noticeable wear is on the padded strips that sit between the chin strap and my neck/chin. The sun visor and main visor fit and lock as when new and all the rubber seals and vents are like new. It has seen 100 degree, high humidity summers and winters in the teens as well as full sun all the way to frog-choking down pours.

The helmet is very comfortable.  The airflow isn't as much as some more expensive helmets and the wind noise is typical for a modular.  For the price, the fit and quality is top notch.  When it comes time to replace this one, a second one will cover my head.

i ride.  to work, to home, to the store, to kill time.  doesn't matter when, what the weather, or with who.  i ride.

Iron Butt Association #30337
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:39 am »

I will say that my AGV Corsa (bought on line because it matches my leathers) is superb. I really can feel the difference in aerodynamics between it and the Bell. It's not worth twice as much, but the beer talked me into it.

The vision port is much taller, it seems. Helps with visibility when I'm on a sportier bike. It's not as plush, and I don't think I'd use it as an every day, though.
caasland

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2011 N1K, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:40 am »

Once you figure out what fits, look for "new old stock" for sale. motorcyclecloseouts.com has been good to me for finding helmets that have been sitting a shelf for 2+ years.

The key is understanding that you're getting a discount because there is less "life" left in the helmet. The rule of thumb is "Seven years from date of manufacture, five years from first use, which ever comes first". Thus, a 2013 Bell RS-1 purchased today would have another four years left in the EPS, but at 50% off that may be worth it, and is usually my justification for purchasing helmets this way.

For previous model years you'll need to consider that head shapes can change, i.e. the 2013 RS-1 does not fit like a 2015 RS-1 (or a Star helmet for that matter).

Swagfu

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA
GPS: Deland, Fl
Miles Typed: 237

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:14 am »

I have two Arai Signet Q full face helmets on the shelf which are long oval and fit my head like a glove. I have a scorpion half helmet which fits well, but I don't wear it very often as I just don't feel as safe in it. I have an Arai XC 3/4 helmet, which I thought would be a nice midpoint between the Signet and the Scorpion. Not too bad while riding and the still felt pretty safe, but the helmet just doesn't fit right. Has a pressure point on my forehead, so its in the box. Doing about a 100 miles in the XC and the helmet was killing me. Luckily I was riding to a JP Cycles near Daytona. Got there and bought a Bell Qualifier DLX for the ride home. Thought that if I didn't like it, I could return. Find out on the way home, that while it seems a little snug it didn't give me any problems with hurting my head. Took two more rides with it and I actually like it. Even put a Sena 10 on it. So looks like I'm keeping it. I was relieved to finally find an inexpensive alternative to the Arai. I love Arai, but at $600 a pop, they just kill my bank account. The Bell was $250, and it can be found online for about $150. A little heavier than the Arai, but this is a great alternative. Plus it has the transitions face shield. And that, I love!
DbleDutch

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 03 ST1300
GPS: Arizona USA
Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 11:15:21 pm »

HJC IS-Max II good (Best Buy)
gives its price segment competitors and some much more expensive competitors a hard time

This is my current helmet, lots of features for the $$. I liked the test results of not unlatching in the tests. Sound control is adequate. Comfort and air flow is good.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal