Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ferries across Lake Michigan  (Read 1859 times)

jimmy

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
GPS: Hamilton, ON Canada
Miles Typed: 590

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:26:45 pm »

On the way to the National I will likely utilize one of the ferry services that cross Lake Michigan.

I've used ferries before, and will bring two of my own tie-downs.

Does anyone have any advice I won't read on the ferry websites?

Thanks
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

shil

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2013 Multistrada, 1979 XS650
GPS: Uxbridge, ON
Miles Typed: 906

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:35:53 pm »

Be sure you're good to go when leaving: earplugs in place, gloves on your fingers, etc.
You're more than likely to be offloaded first. Once off the boat, if you pull over to attach your chinstrap, you'll end up stuck behind a boatload of traffic.

Yankee Dog

Reputation 18

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:55 pm »

I did the Badger a couple of years ago.  A pretty stress free experience.  Don't sweat it.
Advertisement

naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1410

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:31:01 pm »

I did the Lake Express in 2008.  Sucker is fast.  Bigok

I used their straps with a canyon dancer.  Worked just fine.   I'd echo the above in terms of being ready to disembark. Get your stuff together and the bike untied early so you can get off and gone as soon as the gate drops.

sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:19:53 am »

I did the Lake Express in 2008.  Sucker is fast.  Bigok

I used their straps with a canyon dancer.  Worked just fine.   I'd echo the above in terms of being ready to disembark. Get your stuff together and the bike untied early so you can get off and gone as soon as the gate drops.

And the Express has free wifi all the way across the lake.  The Badger didn't when I used it.  Either one is fun, but different experiences.  High tech versus old school elegance type stuff.
fartymarty

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Concours14; Suzuki DR650; Suzuki GT750; Honda trail 90
GPS: Fort Worth TX.
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 06:25:55 pm »

Does anyone have any advice I won't read on the ferry websites?

Thanks

The express had straps and chocks but no assistance. One of the Harley guys was pissed that he was left on his own to strap her down
as he had never done it before. I helped him a bit as he seemed to be be one of the Harley guys that rides and rides instead of trailers and trailers.
(He also had mufflers, when the other HDs all fired up to leave when we docked the echos down there were unbelievably loud. Ear plugs +1.)

When I went on it, I was the only metric bike on the boat. All the metric autos balanced it out.  Rolleyes

So what should you know?....that a trip can get cancelled and there may not be another slot available on the same day. I was going to circle the
 lake CCW leaving from Chicago and had a reservation on the 6AM eastbound out of Milwaukee. There were high waves at the east end of the trip so it was cancelled.
The next trip was at 12:30 pm (eastbound) and it was full, I could wait around and hope for a no show and then wait again etc etc.... I opted to continue north and do the trip
clockwise and made a reservation for the next day westbound. It worked out well for me, but it wouldn't if I was headed further east on some sort of a schedule.

https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/photos/i-hKJdCsg/1/O/i-hKJdCsg.jpg

https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/photos/i-6vCcCTh/1/O/i-6vCcCTh.jpg
leaving Muskegon
https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/photos/i-n2QbP8K/1/O/i-n2QbP8K.jpg
approaching Milwaukee
https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/photos/i-6Z7wgVF/1/O/i-6Z7wgVF.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal