Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: BMW 1200RT Owners  (Read 4481 times)

h2000fb

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, 74 Suzuki GT550
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »

Been considering a tank bag for the RT. Never did care for the BMW factory bag due to it being so BIG.

I might consider a factory version, but:
- would really like to clip one on the bike and see if my GPS can be seen over it, and
- see if the bag will interfere with my handlebars since they have the pullback adapters on them.

However, also saw a Tourtech Flat tank bag for the RT that looks much more compact.

So, what if any tank bag are you using and do you have the pullback adapter on your handlebars?

Tom
Ride Long, Ride Safe!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:10:37 am »

Yeah, that stock bag is huge!  I never purchased it.  I did get the Touratech and sold it once I decided to go with a Bags Connect with the tang ring mount.  I like how the Bags Connect, with the tank ring, never touched the bike.  It hovers above it.
atdrs

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 15 R1200RT
GPS: Phx, Az.
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:08:23 pm »

I too use the Bag Connect bag with the bar backs without any clearance issues. Several sizes of bags to pick from too.

Tim
15 R1200RT
Advertisement

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 04:39:45 pm »

'Splain me why you want a tank bag, but not one that's big enough to hold much.  Headscratch

The BMW brand (no clue about who made for BMW) bag on my K1200RS has the saving grace of a connector that adds about 50% capacity to the bag for long trips, and collapses down to something that still carries a bunch of bungee cords, charge cables, etc. in a lower compartment, and the "needed for almost any trip" stuff on the top (spare ear plugs, can of plastic cleaner with microfiber rag, hat to hide helmet hair, owner's manuals, and misc. small bits and pieces), with a map carrier on top of that (holds my smart phone very nicely and I found a way to snake a micro-USB cable up to it).

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:23:23 am »

FWIW, the '15 RT I got from Edelweiss had a relatively thin Tourtech tank bag. It was better than a poke in the eye. Capacity for a hat, a couple of odds and ends, and an apple or two was limited. It was well below the Zumo 660 sitting in the NAV IV spot (worked well - didn't respond to the ring, as expected). I still think a larger bag makes more sense. YMMV

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal