Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: multistrata 1200 DYI maintanence costs  (Read 2734 times)

howardrichman

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 268

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:18:03 pm »

I'm presently riding a Ninja 650r, and ride solo. I've Considered an upgrade in size, comfort, and performance. I've considered the Yamaha FJ-09, FJR, or the Ducati Multi 1200. I like the fact the multi is quality construction , materials already fit with real suspension and seat, and low weight, and more.  I've been told there's also a great ride experience, but don't want high tech sa. BMW offers . I've always worked on my own ride, never using dealer for service. The cost of ownership for my 650R is basically tires, oil, and throttle body balancing. I use a Pro-chain oiler, and was my best investment. Valve inspection every 27K mls. and shim when needed is not that hard a process. To what extent of more cost, time, and any special tools am I looking at with the Multi ? What parts sa. belts do I need; what mileage, cost and to what interval of inspection and change of expensive parts?. What fuel octane, and preferred oils are preferred? What years are preferred? What I'd be wanting is the quality components of the Multi, but w/o the complex electronics  except for maybe for ABS and traction control. How's the Hyperstrata for touring?

Please reply;
                                                                                                                       HR...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:58:46 pm by howardrichman » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

SLK50

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:14:24 pm »

More importantly, can you live with a Multi?
I was all exited about a Multi until I had the
opportunity to actually sit I one and discovered,
to my dismay, that I simply didn't fit on one.
There was no room for my feet, seat was a one
position affair and the handlebars felt like they
we're in my chest.
On paper the bike is great. In the real world,
not so much.
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:11:26 pm »

I love my Mutley -- but it's not cheap to maintain. Valves are at 15k, along with belts and -- in theory -- fork oil. I don't know time to do it yourself, but my 30k was ~$1200 at a good local independent mechanic. Oil every 7500. I don't think it cares about oil brand, but it's Italian, so expensive. Smile

(Do not buy if you want cheap and easy maintenance)

Early models -- 2010 and some 2011 -- had a batch of coolant that ate radiators and heads in some bikes.

Rear brake is ... Wooden, and weak in many cases. A good bleed fixes it, but that entails removing the rear caliper. Some have reported success adding s bleed valve at the ABS modules -- I just created a leak Smile

While I get the foot thing for sure, I still think it's an amazing machine. I love and use the electronic suspension/engine modes, the stock seat is good for me for 'decent' days -- 600 miles or so. Touring bike to the twisties, sport bike when you get there. Fantastic engine and handling.

2013 adds Skyhook to replace Ohlins on the S; 2015 adds VVT (and a 5k rpm torque hole...).

I don't see many standards, or ABS only models around, but the latter sounds like a fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

howardrichman

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 11:13:27 pm »

Thanks for reply. Yea, I'd rather have a cheap and easy maintenance bike, which is why I considered the FJ-09 or the FJR 1300.  Since I'd rather not deal with the heft weight of the FJR being a solo rider, The FJ-09  w/ a seat mod might be the answer.  

HR...  
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:49 am »

If you've had no issues after allowing a dealer technician work on your bike I consider that an added value that has to be taken into account. I recently had a shop work on my bike so I could have documentation to help sell it.   After I get done putting everything to spec I'll still use their paperwork.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
howardrichman

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:32 pm »

I love my Mutley -- but it's not cheap to maintain. Valves are at 15k, along with belts and -- in theory -- fork oil. I don't know time to do it yourself, but my 30k was ~$1200 at a good local independent mechanic. Oil every 7500. I don't think it cares about oil brand, but it's Italian, so expensive. Smile

(Do not buy if you want cheap and easy maintenance)

Early models -- 2010 and some 2011 -- had a batch of coolant that ate radiators and heads in some bikes.

Rear brake is ... Wooden, and weak in many cases. A good bleed fixes it, but that entails removing the rear caliper. Some have reported success adding s bleed valve at the ABS modules -- I just created a leak Smile

While I get the foot thing for sure, I still think it's an amazing machine. I love and use the electronic suspension/engine modes, the stock seat is good for me for 'decent' days -- 600 miles or so. Touring bike to the twisties, sport bike when you get there. Fantastic engine and handling.

2013 adds Skyhook to replace Ohlins on the S; 2015 adds VVT (and a 5k rpm torque hole...).

I don't see many standards, or ABS only models around, but the latter sounds like a fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do those timing belts cost? Do the valve check, shim replace, and belt change require much skill more than I'd do on my Ninja?

Howie...
Epyon

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 09 Street Triple R, 10 S1000RR
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:59 pm »

I know it's an old thread so sorry.  Every time I get all excited about a Multi, maintenance costs appear.  With the new 950 coming out I'm all worked up again.  6th gen VFR or Multi....
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2333

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:05:10 pm »

Thanks for reply. Yea, I'd rather have a cheap and easy maintenance bike, which is why I considered the FJ-09 or the FJR 1300.  Since I'd rather not deal with the heft weight of the FJR being a solo rider, The FJ-09  w/ a seat mod might be the answer.  

HR...  

Headscratch

I hate it when I see that. I'm 5'8" and 165lbs. Over the years I've pushed a couple of FJRs around my garage, popped them up on the center stand and  drag the pegs at will.

Heavy?        

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
Flightar

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2013 Ducati MTS 12S Touring, 1997 Yamaha YZF 750R (sold), 2004 Honda VFR 800 (sold)
GPS: Florida
Miles Typed: 124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:53:27 am »

My 13 Multistrada's maintenance costs for the routine stuff are about the same as those on my previous 04 VFR. The difference is the stuff that breaks...I have gone through 3 fuel sensors, two wheel speed sensors and a fuel tank since new. None of which were covered under the warranty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal