Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Questions Concerning the New/Newer 1200RTs  (Read 4462 times)

h2000fb

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, 74 Suzuki GT550
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:49:00 am »

Been thinking about new and/newer RTs. Wondering if anyone can answer a few questions?
Have a 2005 currently, but have been thinking about a newer one lately.

- I noticed at some point, BMW made a location in then dash area for the GPS to mount between the speedo and the tack. Will the Garmin 660L fit? The mount looks the same from what pictures I have seen.

- I noticed the handlebars at some point stopped having the 4 screw mounting system for both sides that allowed for a riser to be installed. With the new system, is there way to install a riser of some sort?  Have seen one set of risers but they were ugggly!

Tom
Ride Long, Ride Safe!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

PatM

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:10:44 pm »

First off, I don't own an RT but I did rent/ride a '15 RT equipped with the GPS package, for two weeks last spring.
It should fit, same mount, but you can't use the BMW handlebar controls wheel thing. Does it matter? I didn't use to the controls, I just tapped on the screen most of the time. And, if you go the Nav V route, you get the newer Garmin interface.

Food for thoughts. Speaking of the interface, with the sun at my back, I couldn't read it. I had the same problem on a NAV V GPS equipped K1600GTL. I've never had that issue with my GPS mounted on my left handlebar.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:19:53 pm by PatM » Logged

Ride safe!
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:11:45 pm »

I have the ugly type risers, not as clean as the previous gen plates but in person they aren't that bad and to be honest the comfort they add far out weighs any look concerns imho.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Advertisement

h2000fb

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »

Yes, if the 660 will fit in the NAV mount, I am not really concerned about missing the BMW wheel features.  

And I agree, the comfort will trump looks if that is the only brand I find of risers for the RT. I think they are  Ilium risers maybe? Have looked them up to make certain but think that was the brand mentioned.

Tom
Ride Long, Ride Safe!
marc11

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:49:15 pm »

Yes, if the 660 will fit in the NAV mount, I am not really concerned about missing the BMW wheel features. 

And I agree, the comfort will trump looks if that is the only brand I find of risers for the RT. I think they are  Ilium risers maybe? Have looked them up to make certain but think that was the brand mentioned.
They are Ilium risers.

h2000fb

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:31:18 pm »

I have the ugly type risers, not as clean as the previous gen plates but in person they aren't that bad and to be honest the comfort they add far out weighs any look concerns imho.

I have read in different reviews, the 2014/15's engine was a little smoother than previous. Still, however, much over 75 one starts to get a tingle in the handlebars that increases with speeds much over legal highway speeds. Not bad but present. My 2005 does it.

My question is, did the addition of the risers make this better or worse? Or, did it affect it at all? Seems like the risers might possibly amplify it - maybe.

Tom
Ride Long, Ride Safe!
marc11

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:10:19 pm »

I have read in different reviews, the 2014/15's engine was a little smoother than previous. Still, however, much over 75 one starts to get a tingle in the handlebars that increases with speeds much over legal highway speeds. Not bad but present. My 2005 does it.

My question is, did the addition of the risers make this better or worse? Or, did it affect it at all? Seems like the risers might possibly amplify it - maybe.
Honestly I can't say I noticed any difference, but since they allowed me to sit further back and upright with arms lightly bent I think they may have helped because I now out less pressure or weight on the bars.

What did make a big difference were extra heavy bar ends from HMV. I got them for looks but they really made a change in how the bars felt at speed. Essentially eliminated hand numbness.

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 11:02:31 am »

Picking up an old thread...

I did a demo ride on a '16 RT about a week ago. The Zumo 660 was plug&play excluding response to the BMW system commands - no surprise, no problem. I assume the bike was box stock. This was the second ride on a wethead. The first time out, I wasn't too happy with the "sewing machine" feel from the boxer. Based on owners' suggestions. I keep the motor spinning somewhere between 3-5K and found the ride much smoother. I didn't encounter any buzzing. The only thing I really didn't like is the fly-by-wire throttle - too twitchy! I didn't try rain mode, which might have helped.

ADDED: Why I said "I didn't encounter any buzzing" escapes me. See my after-action report. What did happen is I lost the chug-chug-chug "riding a sewing machine" feel. But no buzz? I must have been sucking up to Hermy's or something.  Headscratch
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:57:11 pm by RBEmerson » Logged

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal