Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: WTB Audio/Visual Receiver  (Read 12018 times)

Dan K

Reputation 110

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 03:44:11 pm »

Yep. Or who have more components than the TV supports or a receiver without HDMI support.

Amazingly affordable too.

I was suggesting it if you can't get your Denon issue resolved. 1 HDMI in to the Denon from the switch and it auto-switches to whichever device is active based on prioritized ports. Nothing for the Denon to dick with.

There is no HDMI input to the Denon associated with TV/Audio - the only active HDMI input is the cable box when the Denon is powered on.

Regardless of active source, it switches to TV/Audio, which is an optical digital input between the TV and the Denon.

Which gets me thinking - is that Optical input even necessary? I assume it is, as an ARC HDMI connection between the Denon (the monitor out HDMI output on the Denon) allows controls to be sent to the Denon through that cable, it can't pass audio both ways... can it?

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 04:43:44 pm »

Optical (TOS-Like) is digital audio only (no video). I used it with my previous Yamaha to get better audio than I could with copper.

I also used the HDMI switch and bypassed the receiver for all video (since it didn't have HDMI as your Denon) doesn't.

TV stays on HDMI 1. HDMI switches video. Receiver does audio only (don't plumb in any video sources to it unless there's a device without HDMI out).

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 04:54:06 pm »

I'm with you. My problem is that I use the Denon for audio 100% of the time. Through the ARC HDMI connection from Denon's monitor out to the Samsung Smart TV, when I turn on the TV, it powers up the Denon.

If I run the cable box HDMI output directly to the TV, and the DVD player's HDMI to the TV's second HDMI input (bypassing the Denon), I won't be able to have the Denon power up automatically when I power up the TV.

Either way, I have an extra step - either (1) powering up the Denon if I don't run the HDMI sources through the Denon; or (2) switching the Denon back to Cable/Sat after it is powered up by the TV.

I've tried to come up with a solution, but I'm at the point there isn't one. IF there was a TV/Audio HDMI input (or if I could assign the Cable Box HDMI to TV/Audio) that would be great, but there isn't and I can't assign any HDMI input to TV/Audio.

NO solution as of yet. Maybe a firmware update to the SAmsung TV so it will not automatically switch the input on the Denon to TV/Audio...

-Dan

Advertisement

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 06:39:21 am »

I've tried to come up with a solution, but I'm at the point there isn't one. IF there was a TV/Audio HDMI input (or if I could assign the Cable Box HDMI to TV/Audio) that would be great, but there isn't and I can't assign any HDMI input to TV/Audio.

Logitech Harmony remote. Easily set up to "script" control multiple devices with a single push of a button.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »

Logitech Harmony remote. Easily set up to "script" control multiple devices with a single push of a button.

Yes, can use a Harmony remote with a delay that tells it to switch, but then I have to run infra red repeaters or some such because the Denon is in the closet behind the TV. I'll deal. Don't think there is a solution - Apparently Denon gave an option to turn off the auto switch to TV/Audio in its HDMI menu in newer receivers, but no firmware update fix as of yet for the 3313... Oh well, my family doesn't mind and they know what to do...

-Dan

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 05:25:16 pm »

Get an RF Harmony and IR Blaster for in the closet?

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 06:13:16 pm »

Get an RF Harmony and IR Blaster for in the closet?

I actually have a Harmony remote under my bed...it's been sitting for a long time. I set it up for my basement once, but it wasn't worth it (it was a gift from a friend, and it is a little worn - you have to push a couple buttons fairly hard to get them to register...)

THanks for the advice. Maybe I'll play with it this weekend.

_Dan

GooseMan

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Los Angles, CA
Miles Typed: 743

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 07:40:51 pm »

Yes Harmony remote or some other type of remote. Us an RF unit to transmit the signal wirelessly.

The connect all your sources to the denon via HDMI only, and one HDMI out to the TV. Then get rid of the ARC...its a PITA most of the time. Then everything will run perfectly Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal