Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: new project followed me home  (Read 16316 times)

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:39 pm »

Funny I was thinking about Bill as I drove through Bowden on my way to pick it up, I miss the grizzly old bugger

BMW 1977 R100S was fun to work on, got it fixed up and running very nicely then sold it to someone who was a true airhead enthusiast

I was wondering how long you could ride that slow...lol. It was pretty, but the old Beemers just don't excite me.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

alphabet man
2017 Africa Twin , Fe501S Husqvarna

Reputation 26

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2458

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 10:04:30 pm »

LET THE MAYHEM BEGIN  original paint, clear coat and decals ordered, well acctually two sets of decals one inexpensive set from China as a back up set just in case I have a moment applying the other ones  
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/devildogg_/DSCF1747b_zpsoz9gdzeq.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/devildogg_/IMG_1248b_zpsny4lzd4l.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/devildogg_/IMG_0001_zpsue1g3s3x.jpg

Do I know what I am doing?    Somewhat I guess

Will it turn out the way I expect or hope it will?   Eventually no doubt

Will I spend to much money on it?       probably

Will I sell it when I am done?  Maybe not this time, besides my love for the triple I am at a stage in my life where a couple of grand in my pocket wont change my fate. I am learning from Dean AKA Motorhead that it is better to ride em love em and park them to be resurrected when sometime in the future the inclination strikes you, than watch some dip shit that knows nothing about bikes wheel it down your driveway after beating down an already fair price  while you stand their and wonder what have I done ( of course Motto guzzi past customers excluded from that last statement) Bigsmile
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:43:56 pm by alphabet man » Logged

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw

Seek Adventure!
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 11:24:40 pm »

Oh God, now I have become a bad influence! LMAO. This bike really looks like it's going to be a lot of fun...the 955 was on the top of my wanted list for a while before I found my LeMans.

Advertisement

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 03:58:33 pm »

Just like Neo in The Matrix, the V11 was "the one"  Bigsmile

Sputnik

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Rosso Corsa, 2015 BMW R1200RT, 2018 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Lethbridge, Alberta
Miles Typed: 488

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 06:59:37 pm »

Are you looking after my baby, the one I shouldn't have let get away  

Oh yes.....she is lovely.  Often a bit moody, but lovely.
But I've had plenty of "issues" with her (starter motor, broken drive shaft seal, the classic mystical relay issue that seems to get solved by shuffling the relays in the deck, etc.).
I saw somewhere that you can even buy replacement cans of Guzzi Wiring Harness Smoke  Wink
And accessing the one grease nipple is enough to make one consider torching it.

But otherwise she's good.  And Ive been putting lots of miles on the BMW too.

Hope to see you in July if not before.

"If the misery of our poor be caused not by nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin".
Charles Darwin.
alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:01 am »

And accessing the one grease nipple is enough to make one consider torching it.

HAHA I remember that I think I removed the rear wheel and dropped the end of the driveshaft down a couple inches, made it much easier, never had any of the other issues you mention are you sure you are riding it enough  Bigsmile

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw

Seek Adventure!
NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 12:02:52 pm »

As my ex would say "another job well started".   That will be a pretty bike when it's all done up.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in it's original livery.  Well done on giving it a new lease on life.

I'm like a number of others here in that I've owned lots of bikes over the years.  And like some have previously noted I wish I hadn't sold at least a number of them.  I feel the same way about some of the cars and trucks I've owned as well.  I would need much more space and much more money to have kept all of the cool cars, trucks and bikes that have come and gone over the years.  

As they say "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Inlove

There is no next time, it's now or never.
alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 10:31:42 pm »

As my ex would say "another job well started".   That will be a pretty bike when it's all done up.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in it's original livery.  Well done on giving it a new lease on life.

I'm like a number of others here in that I've owned lots of bikes over the years.  And like some have previously noted I wish I hadn't sold at least a number of them.  I feel the same way about some of the cars and trucks I've owned as well.  I would need much more space and much more money to have kept all of the cool cars, trucks and bikes that have come and gone over the years.  

As they say "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Inlove

Well the weather was nice and the purchase of the 450 EXC really slowed progress but with the onset of some cooler weather I was back in project mode. update:
  Body work:  -most of the hideous paint has been removed just a few small bits left and it will be ready to be primed
                    - paint solvents and  primiers arrived from the UK
                    - two sets of decals arrived ( one heap set for back up)
                    - spray gun and compressor at the ready, it may take me some time to build up the nerve for this part  Crazy
 Chassis and engine: not much done here that is more of a winter project but
                       - took a look at the cams - no pitting all looks good as it should for 18,000km
                       - checked the valve gap and everything was in spec.  Bigok

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/devildogg_/IMG_0129_zps5loduaqh.jpg

Seek Adventure!
alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 10:34:47 pm »

is it just me or is that upper front fairing kind of creepy in a bat like way  Headscratch

Seek Adventure!
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6793

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 10:42:16 am »

You should put your sanded bodywork back on and send a pic to the previous owner showing your new and improved paint scheme.  Bigok

Cuz I for one think it is a drastic improvement.  Bigok

Oh, and Bat Bikes are good !!

via GIPHY

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:19:26 pm by bubba zanetti » Logged
alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 11:20:34 pm »

Lol it looked better even when I took the plastics off

Seek Adventure!
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 07:26:55 pm »

I am about to throw a leg over this...Stelvio has been traded in.

alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 08:46:40 pm »

hahah lets just start trading bikes, save us a bunch of money, that looks vaguely familiar

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/devildogg_/firstrideMarch29_zpse8936fd0.jpg

Seek Adventure!
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 10:30:57 pm »

LOL! Great idea!! New girlfriend enjoys being the passenger, and this is the right bike. We are having a blast right now!

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:52 pm »

hahah lets just start trading bikes, save us a bunch of money, that looks vaguely familiar

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/devildogg_/firstrideMarch29_zpse8936fd0.jpg

I am curious as to why you let that one go? What did you replace it with when it went?
 This thing is a juggernaut. I was pulling 180 in the rain with luggage up the Paulson...and I went by two different police SUV ghost cars at 125 plus without so much as a glance at me. On the LeMans that would have been two tickets. A silver blue touring bike is invisible! LOL

alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 08:28:52 am »

I am curious as to why you let that one go? What did you replace it with when it went?
 This thing is a juggernaut. I was pulling 180 in the rain with luggage up the Paulson...and I went by two different police SUV ghost cars at 125 plus without so much as a glance at me. On the LeMans that would have been two tickets. A silver blue touring bike is invisible! LOL

I don't know, had mine all set up with Hyperpro suspension, mistral pipe, gps, it was a great bike, need the $$ to move onto something else. I would have to admit for what I paid for that bike, I got a very good deal it was probably a mistake sealing that one, but if you ride my 1190 in sort mode you will understand  Bigok

Seek Adventure!
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »

I don't know, had mine all set up with Hyperpro suspension, mistral pipe, gps, it was a great bike, need the $$ to move onto something else. I would have to admit for what I paid for that bike, I got a very good deal it was probably a mistake sealing that one, but if you ride my 1190 in sort mode you will understand  Bigok

LOL. I am calling this one Juggernaut. The Paulson is all 100mph sweepers...its as bad as my LeMans! I am just glad this is a 2 valve. My license would be in even more serious jeopardy with the 8 valve. I do NOT need more hp!

alphabet man

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:24 am »

LOL. I am calling this one Juggernaut. The Paulson is all 100mph sweepers...its as bad as my LeMans! I am just glad this is a 2 valve. My license would be in even more serious jeopardy with the 8 valve. I do NOT need more hp!

The Norge is a dangerous bike, last invitation to the police men's ball I received was on the Norge, to quite to comfortable and to smooth at speed    Lol

Seek Adventure!
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6793

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 11:20:53 am »

Just got back from 5 days and nearly 4,000 km on Norge to Fortuna and back. Handles pretty much everything California can throw at it. The fairing is much appreciated in the cold, wet we had down there and works almost too well at very high speed in the Oregon Outback  Wink

It ain't a super twisties bike, even with suspension mods, but it does ok till you grind the centerstand which is fairly unnerving. Highway 36 in NorCal is a great test for a bike as it has everything over its 140 Miles and this was my 4th trip through on the Norge. It does well, except for my non-preference for downhill in very tight corners, which is not my favourite.

Enjoy Dean. Throw a good spring on the rear, it makes a big difference.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 01:54:57 pm »

I am enjoying. I have been raving about how good the suspension is, and how amazing the shock is two up...so I had to go look. Turns out it is the stock Sachs. So far so good. I haven't ground the center stand yet, and I generally have half inch chicken strips...lol...but then I have been doing a hell of a lot of rain riding the last couple weeks.
 I feel guilty for hijacking this thread now...lol. I will have to roll my 350 Four project out of the garage for pics when I get back to the 'Gar.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal