Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Need a Shoei helmet recommendation...  (Read 10425 times)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:31:10 pm »

Hi All:

I almost lost it yesterday when—at 5-effing-o'clock in the morning—someone stole my Shoei Multitec helmet and Held Steve gloves off my bike.   Sad Angry3 I normally lock them in my topcase, but I was on my way to catch a 5:30am train to Portland, and had stopped by my office (on a university campus) to grab something. I figured "It's 5am in the morning and nobody's around, my stuff will be safe" and left it on the seat. I was away from the bike for 5 minutes (no longer!) and came out to find them GONE. AAAARRGH!!!

The bike was untouched. Why anyone would want a USED helmet and gloves (both were a few years old) is beyond me.  

ANYWAY...I now need to buy a new helmet. I want a Shoei (cuz that's my head shape), and I do NOT want the top-of-the-line $500 model. I also don't want another Multitec, because I rarely used the flip-up front.

When I went to the Shoei website, I was a bit shocked by even how much the RF-1200 costs. I don't want to spend more than $400 tops (not $489). So if anyone can point me to where I might either pick up an older model for less...or suggest one of the current, lower-down-the-line-but-still-great models, I'd appreciate it!

It's been so long since I looked at Shoei's lineup that all the different models were basically meaningless to me. My main hope is that ALL the Shoei's still have the same classic Shoei shape...and that what used to be a large isn't now an XL (or vice-versa).

Thanks!
Scott

EDITED TO ADD: Geez, I just noticed that some helmets (like the X14) are $600 and $700!  EEK! Sorry, but that's freaking insane. I do NOT believe for a heartbeat that a $700 helmet will preserve your brain $300 better than a $400 helmet will. (Yeah I know—this gets debated all the time, but I'm not buying it!) I willingly choose to believe that a $400 helmet will protect my head just fine!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:35:20 pm by SWriverstone » Logged

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

PatM

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 05:10:27 pm »

EDITED TO ADD: Geez, I just noticed that some helmets (like the X14) are $600 and $700!  EEK! Sorry, but that's freaking insane. I do NOT believe for a heartbeat that a $700 helmet will preserve your brain $300 better than a $400 helmet will. (Yeah I know—this gets debated all the time, but I'm not buying it!) I willingly choose to believe that a $400 helmet will protect my head just fine!

Probably not but if it fits your head, doesn't cause you pain after a few hours, it's worth it IMO.
BTW, I just checked and revzilla is closing out on Shoei X12 Solids for $399.

Ride safe!
DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:37:32 pm »

People continue to amaze me that they would steal your helmet and gloves right off the bike.  Rolleyes
Advertisement

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »

To be completely honest, 97% of the thefts in Eugene occur within 5 blocks of the intersection of 13th and Hilyard.  If you'd parked the bike in front of, say, the Glenwood Cafe you'd still have a helmet and gloves.

The worst of all are bicycle thieves in that area.  They will steal anything they possibly can if given the opportunity.

Three points where two lines meet
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 390

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:15:44 am »

It takes me forever to buy a helmet.  I try on every brand I can and always end up back at Shoei.  The RF series has fit and served me well for 20+ years.  Some of the other, newer Shoei models I have tried seemed to have a different shape.  After confirming the fit, I have a tough time picking the color.  I can't explain what makes me like a color or design, but if I don't like it, I won't buy it just because it fits.  I did pay over $400 for my last one because I was sure of the fit over time and the colors matched my favorite riding gear.  I have the advantage of a store that stocks hundreds from lots of brands.  I will pay more at a store that gives me that opportunity than I will online (another ongoing, never ending discussion).

I wonder what your thief did with it.  What are the chances it fit?  Maybe you should check the local Craig's List for a while.

IBA #8027
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 03:13:25 pm »

Try the Shoei Neotec. I had a Mutlitec before but its replacement is better. Or look at Shark.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Virginian

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »

Dang, that's terrible to hear. They're deal out there on last years models of Shoeis. Shop around and I'm sure you'll come up with something in your price range. Good luck and let us know what you land on.

Eric

Here's some RF 1100s for $280

http://motorcyclecloseouts.com/brands/shoei
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:51:40 pm by Virginian » Logged

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
groundhogday

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2001 SV650, 2011 GSX-R750
GPS: Kentucky
Miles Typed: 88

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 12:46:39 am »

Since you know that particular helmet works for you, I'd recommend looking at webbikeworld.  They have a chart of helmets classified by internal shape.  You might be able to find other helmets that you'll like for less $$$$.
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 09:16:41 am »

So how did you get to the train station with no helmet?

Did you ride topless?  Or did you return home?  

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 06:03:34 pm »

Here's some RF 1100s for $280

http://motorcyclecloseouts.com/brands/shoei

Damn that's a good deal!  I ride a RF1100 now. It replaced a crashed RF900 which replaced a RF800. I'm tempted to just buy one now for when I need a new one. But I also just bought a dual purpose helmet for my usual scooting around. How many do I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Virginian

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »

Damn that's a good deal!  I ride a RF1100 now. It replaced a crashed RF900 which replaced a RF800. I'm tempted to just buy one now for when I need a new one. But I also just bought a dual purpose helmet for my usual scooting around. How many do I need?

Bigok

Eric

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:04:08 am »

Damn that's a good deal!  I ride a RF1100 now. It replaced a crashed RF900 which replaced a RF800. I'm tempted to just buy one now for when I need a new one. But I also just bought a dual purpose helmet for my usual scooting around. How many do I need?

Want to bet the manufacture date is 2012 or earlier? I'm not religious about replacing my brain buckets every 5 years, but it does bug me when it's almost 5 years old out of the box!!

MidLifeMike

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 10:41:48 am »

Want to bet the manufacture date is 2012 or earlier? I'm not religious about replacing my brain buckets every 5 years, but it does bug me when it's almost 5 years old out of the box!!

. . . what I was thinking, right off the bat. Heck, a friend got an RF-1100 for $300 Canadian! at the recent bike show. That's $230 U.S.
I congratulated him but yes, he looked and it's at least 5 years old. In a box all that time, I wouldn't be so worried myself and I don't think he is either.

I want to update mine but I'm under sticker shock at Cdn $600 for the one I want. I've tried maybe 6 or more other brands at the stores, from $200 to $700, but none fit me or have the eye port I am used to with my old Shoei so I'm kind of cursed unless I want some discomfort or take a chance on wear in time with a different brand.

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 04:42:40 pm »

5 years in the box is better than 5 years on my head!  That's why it's less than half price.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 11:12:58 pm »

So how did you get to the train station with no helmet?

Did you ride topless?  Or did you return home?  

Hi Frank! I rode illegally—"Tom Cruised" down the street, hair flying and no helmet. Then I did it again at the end of the day when I got back (rode from the train station back home). I was lucky I got away with it.

Just catching up here: so I went ahead and ordered an RF-1200 from motorcyclegear.com (NewEnough) for $437. I also ordered a new pair of Held gloves, and after loving the Steve's for years, I decided to try the "Touch," just because I thought having touchscreen capability might be nice.

I got everything today.

The RF-1200 feels pretty good, if a bit tight. The problem with old helmets, of course, is that they get packed in and fit less tightly (and to me, more comfortably). The new Shoei (same size, L) felt pretty tight compared to my old one. But I figure that's normal. But now I'm thinking I should have gotten the Neotec (especially if it's better than the Multitec). I just got back from a 600-mile ride in Eastern Oregon this weekend (using an old "emergency backup" $100 Scorpion helmet), and it was a serious pain in the a$$ to have to rip my helmet off every time I wanted to take a photo with my DSLR (my poor ears were hurting by the end of the day).

As for the Held "Touch" gloves, they're pretty comfortable (same Held kangaroo leather), but the "touch" feature (index finger and thumb) is pretty awkward and didn't work that well. I also didn't like the velcro flap on the bottom of the wrist instead of the top, and the cuffs aren't as roomy as the Steves.

So I struck out with both and gonna send them back—but hopefully next time is the charm. I'm gonna try the Neotec and go back to my trusty Held Steves. :-)

Scott

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 12:23:35 am »

it was a serious pain in the a$$ to have to rip my helmet off every time

That's not the end you're supposed to wear it on.

Three points where two lines meet
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 06:50:54 am »

Huge fan of the Qwest.

So sorry that happened, Scott. Sad

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 09:13:08 am »

Scott, losing your lid and gloves that way is wrong on so many levels.  I'm sorry to read about this.  This is one of my biggest fears at quick stops and is why I will always have my top case on at all times.  I can quickly lock up my lid and walk away.  I'm not saying this to say you did anything wrong, I'm selfishly saying this because when folks see pictures of my bike for even 3 day trips, all three cases will be on the bike.  The top case is there to store stuff while off the bike, that's it.  

Enjoy the new RF-1200.  I'm a big fan of my Shoei Neotec.  After owning Arai, Schuberth, and Shoei, I don't believe you can go wrong with any of these three (assuming they fit your head well).  

expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 09:49:16 am »

Nice! Sucks to lose the gear, but now you can enjoy new helmet smell!!

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 01:19:40 pm »

Scott, losing your lid and gloves that way is wrong on so many levels.  I'm sorry to read about this.  This is one of my biggest fears at quick stops and is why I will always have my top case on at all times.  I can quickly lock up my lid and walk away.  I'm not saying this to say you did anything wrong, I'm selfishly saying this because when folks see pictures of my bike for even 3 day trips, all three cases will be on the bike.  The top case is there to store stuff while off the bike, that's it.  

Enjoy the new RF-1200.  I'm a big fan of my Shoei Neotec.  After owning Arai, Schuberth, and Shoei, I don't believe you can go wrong with any of these three (assuming they fit your head well).  

Thanks Doug. In hindsight of course I'm kicking myself for NOT locking them in my topcase—which I do 99% of the time (just like you). But it was 5am!!!  EEK! I'm still amazed that someone who would steal something like that would be out at 5am. Heck, even the homeless people are asleep then!  

I actually sent back the RF-1200 and ordered the Neotec. Decided I really wanted the flip-up, and what sealed the deal is that the Neotec has the cool fighter-pilot-style flip-down sunscreen. I've always wanted one of those! (I'm willing to fork out another $100 to have that feature.)  Banana  Razz

Color isn't a problem for me—I went with white, same as my previous one—because I'm convinced it's cooler in the summer (and even the thought of my helmet absorbing heat terrifies me!)

Scott

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal