Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: First Concours14 review I've seen...  (Read 4133 times)

1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:06:53 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/07/07/nosplit/mfbike07.xml

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

UFO

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:17:07 pm »

You must not visit the Kawi forum often. Bigsmile
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:18:02 pm »

Sure I do... every time a thread I post in general is moved in there. Lol

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Advertisement

UFO

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:24:29 pm »

Sure I do... every time a thread I post in general is moved in there. Lol

That's my que.  couch
heinee
road tickler

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '09 C14
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 921

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:43:35 pm »

That's my que.  couch

Lol
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 01:45:33 am »

Dang that was an unflattering review...
"Each in isolation would make little difference, but in concert they make the bike unnecessarily tiring over a long distance."

180 mile range, poor suspension, motor doesn't wake up until 5K rpm, poor fueling etc etc (taken from the article).

How come this review is so different from others that I have read? What's the dilly-o?

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
heinee
road tickler

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '09 C14
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 921

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:48:53 am »

"Each in isolation would make little difference, but in concert they make the bike unnecessarily tiring over a long distance."

180 mile range, poor suspension, motor doesn't wake up until 5K rpm, poor fueling etc etc (taken from the article).

How come this review is so different from others that I have read? What's the dilly-o?

Because this reviewer probably feels the bike should be a mini Goldwing. It's a Sport-tourer !! And the suspension has a wide range adjustment ...USE THEM!! Angry3
HorizonJob

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Suzuki Vstrom 1000
Miles Typed: 42

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 05:23:57 pm »

He has quite a reputation for objectivity and answers to no advertizing dollars.  Most mags trip over themselves trying to write glowing reports on new models and thereby secure their slice of the ad pie that go with them.  
chornbe

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 05:40:45 pm »

Maybe it's not paid for...?

Honestly the review sounds a *lot* like the one from 1986 Smile
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:47:12 pm by chornbe » Logged
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 05:54:28 pm »

I know, I only take the "paid" reviews as entertainment.  Like Carpenter who reviews bikes for LA Times.  She rode the BMW F800 and said how smooth the motor was.  I rode one and it was anything but.
So when there are rumours of the C14 being a bit, umm, disappointing in the execution, I find it's better to ferret out the real story instead of reading reviews from brand die-hards who's brand can do no wrong (and this applies to all makes), or those whose careers are affected by the advertising dollar.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 811

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 02:50:28 pm »

Finally seen one today at www.atlashonda yamaha.com and it has no takers yet. If anyone is interested its located in Bristol Virginia Tennessee home of the worlds fastest half mile race track.

It was sitting beside a FJR so that was nice to compare it to. Damn the Concours is wide, looks alot like the ST1300, much wider than the FJR.

Why are the mirrors so low ? Must have been at least 5 or 6 inches lower than the FJR. Kawi should have just mounted them on the front forks. The mirror arms start out silver then turn black and then back to silver again for part of the mirror housing. Looks like you have put some sort of ugly aftermaret mirror extenders on it. Sorry to harp on mirrors but just didnt care for the location or look for them at all. The fairing doesnt come up very high to the windscreen and there is a big gap on each side between the two, almost looks like something is missing. Screen itself looks like it would do a good job.
With the fairing not coming up very high and the mirror so low your hands are taking a direct blast at all times so if you plan on riding this one when its cool or cold I suggest heated grips as your first upgrade.

The hard bags look good but appear to be rather small, hard to tell from just looking but its good that Kawi has finally understood how to make a nice integrated hard bag after all these years.

Wheels are beautiful, BMW like and the tires on this particular one was the new BT021 Stones. I have had them on the ZZR for about 2 months and they are the best I have had yet.

Instrument panel is laid out nice and clean looking. Again, BMW like in my opinion.

Glove compartment ? Not sure why they bothered. It might hold the owners manual and looks like crap JMO.

No key hole. That looks odd. Just turn the knob to on and if the key is in your pocket it will start. Sure is nice not to have to fumble with a key or forget and leave it in your pocket them try to dig it out after you are on the bike (like me). Best feature on the bike in my opinion.

Nice big rear rack, looks to be as useable as the one on the KLR.

Still dont care for the one big can. Looks better in person than in the pictures but still.......

Sharp, comfortable bike overall. As with any motorcycle it has a few little things that you would learn to look over if you owned one but I'm looking more toward adventure tourer myself. Anyone want to buy a cheap ZZR ?
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:32:57 pm »

Here's another review http://www.cmgonline.com/bikes/articles/07_Concours14/index.html

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 811

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 07:28:19 pm »

First "owner" review on powersportsnetwork.com

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_detail.asp?rv=53272&veh=54335

Not so good a review for the bike. Performance and mileage sucks according to this dude. You never know what to believe.
Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

Motorcycles: '01 Futura, '06 FJR
GPS: Man cave.
Miles Typed: 7767

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 09:25:31 am »

No key hole. That looks odd. Just turn the knob to on and if the key is in your pocket it will start. Sure is nice not to have to fumble with a key or forget and leave it in your pocket them try to dig it out after you are on the bike (like me). Best feature on the bike in my opinion.

Not without wearing tin foil underwear....

Two wheels or four, weight is the enemy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal