Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Cody to Cooke City?  (Read 4950 times)

bonnieboomer

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 08 Bandit 1250SA
GPS: Valley of VA
Miles Typed: 95

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:04:38 pm »

Two week window starting May 10 to ride from VA to Glacier NP and back. Too early to catch the Beartooth, I guess. What about 296 out of Cody and over Dead Indian Hill? Will I be able to get  up to Montana this way?

After Glacier, the plan is to reach Pullman, WA, then head back via Lolo Pass, Hamilton, and Salmon. Will ride rain or shine, but bad weather could affect route choice. Last western trip I only encountered a little rain coming down Parley's into SLC.

bonnieboomer

Judges of men are born, not made.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

caasland

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2011 N1K, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:09 am »

Two week window starting May 10 to ride from VA to Glacier NP and back. Too early to catch the Beartooth, I guess.

Isn't it too early for Glacier as well?

I'd argue anything in the Rockies in May is too early. Be flexible.
1Arm

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '07 VFR '09 Versys '11 WR250R '10 VFR1200FD
GPS: Portland OR
Miles Typed: 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:48 pm »

Two week window starting May 10 to ride from VA to Glacier NP and back. Too early to catch the Beartooth, I guess. What about 296 out of Cody and over Dead Indian Hill? Will I be able to get  up to Montana this way?

After Glacier, the plan is to reach Pullman, WA, then head back via Lolo Pass, Hamilton, and Salmon. Will ride rain or shine, but bad weather could affect route choice. Last western trip I only encountered a little rain coming down Parley's into SLC.

bonnieboomer

Dead Indian Pass looks open and Yellowstone NE entrance to Gardiner MT looks open, that will get you to MT, if the section of 212/296 jct to Cooke City is open, which I suspect it is. You'll have to dig that info up to be sure.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.RoutesResults?SelectedRoute=WY296
Advertisement

bonnieboomer

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:28:35 pm »

Well. Beartooth Hwy site says there's access from Cooke City to Cody, but Cooke City Chamber of Commerce has a recording that says there's no access from there to Cody via 296 right now. Confusing...

I've ridden Rockies and Wasatch in May and June, sometimes crossing passes on opening day. Yeah, Going-to-the-Sun will still be closed, but this is the only time I can get away. Wait much longer and I'll be too old or the Glaciers will be gone. Carpe Diem.

bonnieboomer

bonnieboomer

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 04:41:27 pm »

Beartooth opened over Memorial Day; I rode it a few days later in a fairly strong, blustery wind that had my full attention. Cooke City restaurants were still not fully restocked, but the people were friendly. NE Yellowstone loop from Norris through Mammoth and Tower is just beautiful!

12 from Lewiston through Lolo Pass is also a delightful ride, and the Bitterroots are awesome down around Hamilton. Ended up going through Big Hole and Dillon instead of Salmon. Also very windy.

There's so much good road in MT that I'll have to go back either this fall or next spring. Made it to the top of GTTS on foot, as the road was still closed to traffic. 7" of snow at St. Mary's on May 13, and several inches down in Sheridan, WY the day before.

bonnieboomer

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal