Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: ...circling within the Iberian Peninsula [enormous number of photographs]  (Read 3108 times)

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Guzzi Daytona, Guzzi Stelvio
GPS: Kansas
Miles Typed: 1001

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:25:03 pm »

Portugal and Spain are two wonderful places to ride: the back roads are  usually clear of traffic and motorcycle friendly, the weather is mild, the  food is terrific, the scenery is amazing and it's easy to find a good hotel  at the end of the day's ride.  This will be a circle of Iberia.

I was here in 2010, but only had time to dash west across  northern Spain to the Portuguese coast, and then east towards Valencia  before heading north to France and then Italy.  For this trip, I'll use  the same number of days on the road, but I'll be taking a ferry from Genova  to Barcelona on my first day out, and I won't spend much time  sightseeing through France on the way back.  I'll have eight nights in  Spain and Portugal.

In the context of distances travelled in the Great Plains of the U.S.,  The Iberian Peninsula isn't all that big.  However, I know from  experience that once you're off the primary roads, you cannot count on  anywhere near the number of miles that you might make in Kansas.

My plan was to travel clockwise, keeping inland the whole time.   There's no question, but that most any guidebook will list countless coastal  towns as “must-see” places for the tourist.  I'll be skipping those.   Instead, I'll try to keep mostly to the rural country--knowing that running  through the occasional larger city will be unavoidable.

New Jersey

It's mostly always the same for every trip: fly to Chicago, then Newark, then  Malpensa/Milano in Italy.  The cross-Atlantic schedule hasn't changed from  the days of Continental Airlines, even though the name on the airplane now says  United.

Italia

Ordinarily, the line through Italy passport control is very fast, but  today was not.  Once my yellow bag came down the chute at the luggage  carrousel, I was out the door; there is no Customs check.

It depends on when I've picked up my bag whether or not I take the bus or  use the express train to get to Milano.  If the plane lands earlier  than scheduled, the train works the best.  It takes about an hour to  get there.  There's less walking at the Centrale Station if you take  the train (and no stairs to climb, either).

Once at the Centrale Station, you've got about twenty minutes to find the  train to Lecco.  Miss that one, and you'll be waiting a couple of hours  for the next one.  I've done that on previous trips, but today things  worked out and I hopped on the Lecco train with plenty of time.

Arrival at Lecco.  The hotel folks are good at having my room ready  even though I'm arriving well before the normal time.  I appreciate that.

First order of business is to stop across the street at La Capri for a  typical Como meal.

Lecco; it's a comfortable place.

There's always something going on.  Today it seems to a national level  bike race, where the bikes all have electric assist motors.  I've never seen  such things, and here they have an entire class of fully sponsored racing events  just for them.

The electric motor might be helping out, but the riders still seemed to  be working pretty hard to ride up the stairs.  Riding down doesn't look  so tough.

Lago Como (and a view of the Swiss Alps in the distance).  My goal for  today is to visit Via Carlota, which is across the lake from Bellagio.   I'll be taking the ferry from Lecco.

Bellagio.  I only stayed here long enough to catch the next ferry.

Villa Carlotta was built in the late 1600s for a Milanese marquis.  In  1843 it was a wedding present to Charlotte, the Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen for  whom the place is now named.  After the first world war, the government of  Italy confiscated the house, and it has remained a state museum and property  since then.

The grounds cover some seventeen acres with lots of foot paths that take  you through seemingly hidden and isolated areas.  Plants are from all  over the world (including a couple of large Sequoias).

I heard one of the guides say that we had just missed the season when the  trees and many of the other flowers were in bloom, but still, it's all  pretty impressive.

The villa is perhaps more famous for its well-known statues than the  other art works on display.

A couple of very large tapestries (see above, as well).

This disappointed me.  I noticed that the top button of my pants was  nearly undone, and needed to be sewn back on.  A pantomime to request a  needle and thread is easier than you might think.  The reason for my  disappointment was that this very thing is on my detailed checklist for the  trip, and I still didn't catch it.

A glass of Grappa will reset the priorities.

Monday morning, it's a ten minute ride to Mandello del Lario.

And, it's raining.  Quite a bit, really.  Stefano did me a favor  and brought the bike into the showroom so I could load things up without soaking  myself.  The soaking would come soon enough.

Everything comes out of the larger yellow duffle-bag and is repacked into  the small yellow duffle-bag that will be strapped to the pillion seat behind  me.  My boots and helmet and air pump were kept in Mandello, so those are  three things I don't need to worry about hauling in.  The air pump goes  under the seat where the tools would ordinarily go, and the tools go in a  waterproof bag that is strapped to the handlebar.  I bring my own  tools, so I don't rely on the feeble tool kit that comes with the bike.

Getting south out of Milano is trouble enough.  Miserable, really.   There is no clean way to do it.  Even the autostrada was stop-and-go.   I had a fair amount of rain the first hour, but it mostly cleared up by the  afternoon.

Voghera.  I'm following the old route to Genova--avoiding the autostrada.

Villalvernia.  These aren't towns that dress up for tourists.

Serravalle Scrivia.  If you avoid the bypass and run right  through town, chances are good you'll be riding on several one-way streets that  don't make much apparent sense, but you'll get across town if you pay attention  to the signs for the next town (which you'll see if you are lucky).

The passo over the mountains to Genova has been used for centuries.   Today, the autostrada makes quick work of it through multiple tunnels and  viaducts, but the old highway still winds up and down through the valle,  following the fiume.

The temperature dropped down to the high forties with a bit of drizzle to  chill the hands, but I figured that would probably be the last time I'd need  the electric vest.

The Grandi Navi Veloci ferry “Excellent.”  Sailing time  was listed as 8:00pm and people were advised to be ready two hours before  that. I didn't roll on the ship until 10:00pm.  I've been on may large  ferries, but the loadmasters for this one would have to be called the least  organized of them all.

Compared to some of these BMW riders, I felt decidedly underdressed and  my bike both underequipped and under loaded.

They have a lot of nautical miles to make up for the delay--and, they did.

Oh, dear.  I thought some of these might tip over just getting on  the boat.  I cannot imagine what it was like to drive something so  overloaded on an Italian road.  The ferry is going to Barcelona, but  from there it continues to Tangier, Morocco.  That's where these vehicles are  headed.

I had a cabin with a window, which was nice.  That's the view of  Genova at night.  As is always the case with these ferry berths, the  bed is too short, but no matter; I slept well.

Genova and the docks.

Looking at what the ferry has to offer.  We wouldn't be in Barcelona  until 3:30pm the next day.

It was a smooth ride.  I had no worries that there'd be a jumble of  motorcycles in the hold.

España

Catalonia

Barcelona.  Look close and you can see some of the famous buildings.   We passed several large cruise ships on the way to our slip.

Since the ferry is sailing from one EU country to another, there is no passport check.  Just  roll off the ferry and you're on your way.

This was the only night I'd made earlier reservations for a hotel.   I didn't have far to ride this day.

La Rambla--easily the most famous street in Barcelona, if not all of  Spain--is just outside my hotel.

Everywhere you look you'll see amazing architectural details.  Most  every building has something special about it.  It's a remarkable neighborhood--Barri Gòtic (The Gothic Quarter).

I'd heard and read that the quarter is safe and is very well patrolled.   I believe it.

Details everywhere you look.

The Basilica Sagrada Família.  Wow.  Construction on Antoni Gaudí's  masterpiece began in 1882.  Work continues today.

I have never seen such stone work.  This is really a jaw-dropping  building.

Unfortunately, I was too late for tours of the interior (even if I had  made reservations ahead of time as would have been required).  No  matter.

Barcelona isn't afraid to put up interesting buildings.

That's gazpacho on the left, followed by Paella de Carne on the right.   Excellent.  Welcome to Barcelona.

The first goal the next morning was to ride south in the most efficient  way to get out of the Barcelona sprawl.

A reminder on fuel.  Look and look again.  Make sure you're  putting gasoline in the tank.  Diesel is common, but often is not  called diesel.

Cervera.  I'm well out of the city by now and am just looking for  interesting and inviting roads.  I have no destination and don't know where  I'll be when I need a hotel.

Very tidy gardens.  This sort of thing is common.

L'Albagés.  Surrounded by Olive groves.

This is the sort of road I'm always looking for.  It's too narrow  for a center strip, but gets me to where I want to go.

La Granadella.  The extent of stone walls is amazing.  It's the  work of generations.

Gandesa.

Aragon

The Prime Meridian passes through here.  Look north and you're looking  at Greenwich, U.K.  I wonder how many such roadside displays there are  (literally) around the world.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Torrecilla de Alcañiz.  These towns blend in so well to their  surroundings.  Sometimes if not for the taller church you might not even  notice them.

Castelserás.  I was impressed by that bridge; it's been there for  hundreds of years.  Without it, the town is protected by a deep canyon.

Alcorisa.

I'm not riding in flat plains--not much, anyway.  I'm crossing mountains  and then dropping down into valleys.

Alfambra.  If you look close at the top of every mesa, you'll see a  castle or a church or the remnants of something made from stone.

The plains of Aragon.

Teruel.  A half hour earlier this wouldn't have been where I  expected to stop for the night, but it looks promising.  My technique is to ride to the center of town (or just  outside if the center is pedestrian-only) and then walk around looking for  a likely hotel.

In Teruel, the first two hotels that looked good were booked.  The third--Hotel Reina Cristina--had a room for me.   Excellent.  Yes; it might be a legitimate four-star hotel, but I'm only  paying about fifty euros (breakfast included).  Spain is not an  expensive place.

I don't know that I've ever seen a city with such extensive and elaborate  stone and brickwork.

Tapas.  I've not sorted out all the ins and outs of ordering at a  tapas bar (and never do), but  it's a good concept--and, you don't need to wait until 10:00pm for the  restaurants to open.  Toast with Jamón ibérico (Iberian ham) and  tomatoes.  It's perhaps not a usual dinner (not even here), but it's  really good.

Back into the hills.  It's a beautiful morning.  I had thought that  I could just pack my electric vest at the bottom of the yellow duffle-bag for the  rest of the trip.  That didn't work out.  I'm wearing it now, and  would for the rest of the trip.  But, riding in the fifties and sixties is  perfect for me.

Libros.  High canyon walls looking every bit like Apache country.   It's easy to see how during the sixties filming Westerns in Spain made sense.

Valencian Country

Ademuz.  No homeowner association in America ever had the success that  these towns have with ensuring a standardized look--and, I'd bet that there's  nothing in writing.

The red Stelvio performed flawlessly.

Castilla-La Mancha

Almansa.  Any town with a hill will also have a castle on top of that  hill.

Region of Murcia

Yecla.  While I saw plenty of bull rings, I never made any effort to see  a bull fight.

Castilla-La Mancha

I prefer the little roads, but this was about as rough as I'd want.   At times it was more pothole than pavement.  It's only the width of a  truck, so luckily there was no traffic.

Las Minas.  Sulphur mining was done here since Roman times, all the way  through the first world war.  That's all finished, now.

I'm sure the only reason for the paved road was to support the mines, and  now that they're all closed, I don't know that there's much maintenance  being done.

Region of Murcia

Moratalla.  I thought this place looked big enough on my map to have a  hotel or two.  If it does, I never found them.  Move along to the next  spot.

Caravaca de la Cruz had one hotel (that I saw).  But, it was pretty  good.

The hotel starts on the second floor above the restaurant and shops.   Parking is in the basement and you'll get there with an elevator (you'd best  know the length of your car before driving on the lift and closing the door).

This town has quite a high hill, and yes, there's a large church on top.

This is the end of one of the major pilgrim routes through Spain.   Without realizing it, I'd been following half of that route ever since this morning  in Teruel.

Church cats are always ever calm.

Dinner.  More Jamón with the salad, followed by pork.  You  might be missing out on large parts of the menu if you don't eat pork.

Breakfast: toast, tomatoes, fresh squeezed orange juice (and no Jamón).

Topping a crest and looking over these valleys spreading out in front of me,  with hardly any roads and few towns.  It's a remarkable part of the country  that probably hasn't changed in centuries.

Andalusia

Puebla de Don Fadri.  I'm cutting across some mountains that the primary  roads avoid.  I'm not sure how smooth it will be, but I'm pretty  sure the roads are all paved.

Huéscar.

I always check the organ loft.  For the most part, every church has  one.

That's the thing with these flat valleys.  They look easily crossed, but  very often you'll come to a gorge such as this that would be impossible without  a bridge.

Almond trees.  The dirt these trees are growing seems to be nothing  but rocks.  It's difficult to walk.

I'm always paying attention for any slow moving farm tractors chugging up the hill.

What a lot of work to plant and tend these groves (olives and almonds I'm  supposing).

Castril.  Some countries build their towns on hilltops, and others  build in the valleys.  I guess it all depends on how much you trust  your neighboring towns to behave themselves.

Rio Guadalentin.

Church or castle or house.  Somebody had an isolated  existence.

I admired this road.  It could not have been easy to build.

Olive groves for as far as you can see.  And farther.

Jodar.

I stopped at the bar (the yellow building) for my usual drink while  riding--Schweppes bitter tonic water.  As is often the case, that will  come with some sort of tapas food. Eighty cents for lunch.

I have never seen so many olive trees.  Miles and miles and miles.   Stopping for a bottle of “sin gas” and to figure out where I want to go.

Córdoba.  I'd been heading for a town beyond here, but by the time I  reached the center of the city, it made sense to stop.  This was the first  hotel I saw, and it was a good one (likely, most other guests were on an expense  account).

Each night I updated my bit of laminated map to track my progress.

Old town Córdoba.  What a remarkable place.

It's a mix of architecture from several civilizations.

A map would help, but I think it's sometimes best to just wander.   There are no straight lines, but I'm not one to get lost.

It's going to be a cold a wet day, but at least I don't think the rain will  ever last too long.  That thunderstorm to the right is a concern--that's  the direction I'm heading.

Oh, man.  When the rain is so heavy that the roads are streams and  the cars have their wipers turned to high-speed, it's sensible to pull over  and wait it out.

It's around fifty degrees; a cup of hot coffee just to warm my hands  would be nice.  I'm afraid these little cups don't work so well for that  purpose.

Aracena.

I've not seen such a well-preserved public washing plaza.  Aracena has  really dressed herself up and is a popular destination--several large tour  busses arrived while I was there.

This could easily be central California.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Traffic was stopped to allow these folks to cross the road.  I asked  one of the policemen what was going on and he replied “Roma.”

They were having a great time.  Lots of singing and laughing.   I was offered a beer.

Cromlech Pasada del Abad.  You'll find such standing stones all over  Europe.

Portugal

The loads of wood are very common.  Eventually, I concluded that they're  used for firewood.  I saw at least one smaller truck carrying cork bark.   The truck looked outrageously overloaded, but then I suppose it doesn't weigh  that much.

Portugal is a comfortable place to ride.

Many old bridges have had this type of concrete wall added.  Perhaps  an iron railing has been replaced.

Arraiolos.  These old towns were not built for cars.  The  through-highway turns right and zigs and zags as a one-way street until it  reaches the other side of the town (beyond that castle on the hill).

Heavy rain followed by bits of sunshine.  I've had every sort of weather  today.

I almost stopped at Évora for the night--an attractive walled city with a  history that dates to Roman times.  But, that would have put me too far  behind even the minimum miles that I needed to complete so I pressed for a  couple hours more.

I didn't think finding a hotel would be a problem, but I was only finding one  hotel after another that had been closed (I wish they'd remove the highway  signs).

Near Vale de Chaos, I saw a sign for a hotel, which led me to this one.   It turned out to be a resort and was much better than I was expecting.

Always checking my map.  The Euro soccer championships were playing  on the TV between two Spanish teams in Milano.  I watched to the end  when the score was tied 1-1, and figured that was it, only to read the next  morning that the match was finished with an exciting shootout...

It's an interesting difference.  Gasoline stations generally do not  have an attached convenience store (as is almost universal in the U.S.), but  they do often have an attached bar/cafe.  Unexpectedly, the poster  shows a Moto Guzzi, so I thought it worthy of a photograph.  I'm  waiting for the rain to stop.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if there isn't much protection.  If it's  raining so hard you cannot see; pull over.  Turns out there was a doorway I  could step into.  The bike will just get a nice rinsing.  When it  stops, I'll take a photograph and be on my way--until the next downpour.

Penacova.

Cortiçada.

I'm climbing a mountain and seem to have entered a rainforest.

Caramulo is a resort community that looks devoted to food.  But, I  was more interested in this auto museum, which was founded in the 1950s by a  couple of brothers.  After winding up the road, I didn't expect to find  anything like this.  It's an amazing collection.

I think this Alba (left) and Bugatti (right) are my two favorites.

Each stone seems to have been dressed to fit in place, but the result is  still decently square--the windows remain in line.  Im sure that this house has been  abandoned for years, but it will likely remain like this for many years to come.

I'm off on another very narrow bit of road that is (mostly) paved.  This  scene is almost too perfect.

Peixeninho.  Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm still on the road or if  I'm just on a driveway or a back alley.

Lamego.  Pilgrims have their work cut out for them with the climb to  the church.  Several tour busses were arriving, and there were lots of  people showing up (on this Sunday evening).  I had thought of finding a  hotel in Lamego, but one look at the traffic jam while riding into town was  enough to send me along to the next.

Peso da Régua along the Rio Douro.

The high bridge is the tollway--a thing I avoided.  I came across on  the older, lower, bridge.

Most every building has been sheathed in distinctive tile.

Perhaps the wine came from the vineyards I can see, just across the  river.

Did anybody plan these terraces, or did they just happen naturally over  generations of use?

Some of the viaducts for the national toll highways are really impressive.   Except for just a small unavoidable bit, I didn't use the Motorway.

These are not unusual in Spain, but are common in Portugal.  If you  don't slow to 50 kph at the edge of town, you'll be given a red light and  will have to stop.   Eventually the light will change to green.  If you approach slower than  50 kph, the light will remain green and you can continue.

I never sorted what the range of detection was, or what the tolerance  was.  These could be  nuisance at times (especially if a car in  front of you triggered the red light).

Chaves.

España

Galicia

A Gudiña.

Pradocabalos.

At this point, I'm looking a couple of days ahead to sort out the best  place to cross the Pyrenees mountains, which will define somewhat the roads  I'm on right now.

Santa Cruz.

A Rúa.

Castile and León

Between those two hills is a deep canyon with steep stone walls.  I  tried to find any sort of road (paved or not) that would get me closer.   My only view was a short glimpse while over a bridge between two tunnels  through those hills.

Cacabelos.

Ocero.

La Espino.  I'm crossing over these mountains on a logging road  where the only traffic seems to be logging trucks.

Just part of a very large open-pit mine.

Palacios Del Sil.

I wondered if I'd be seeing any snow closer to the road.  The  temperature was sometimes as low as the high-forties, but it never happened that  I was in icing conditions.

Rio Luna.  I've been checking the various small towns for hotels, but  there are none.  I may have to reconsider my route and deviate to a real  city.

León.  This certainly qualifies as a real city.  I rode to the  center of town, pulled off to the sidewalk and looked around me.   Plenty of places to choose from.

The Hotel Conde Luna will do just fine.

What an active, vibrant place.  Everywhere you turn is something  altogether different.

Roman ruins are still visible.

That food from the tapas bar?  Just 1.80, including the beer.

I've decided on my route across the Pyrenees.  Of course, I won't stick  to it, but at least I've got a direction for today that mostly heads the right  way.

Cifuentes de Rueda.  These small towns like their storks.

Almanza.

Puente Almhey.

Vado-Cervera.  I really just needed a bench to spread my map out and  drink some water.  The old station at Vado-Cervera worked well.   The train never came.

Northern Spain is one of my favorite places to ride.

Cantabria

That might well be a church, but sometimes it looked as if simple barns  also had bell towers.  Perhaps historically, there was a good reason to  have bells to ring in an emergency

A stork village.

Castile and León

Valle de Valdebezan.  It seems I'm ever pulling up on a sidewalk to  recheck my map.  I'm using a GPS, but as often as not, I disregard that  route and turn off on more interesting roads.  In any event, I only set the  GPS destination to be about fifty miles distant, and then choose another  destination.  Most of the time, I don't even reach that destination.

The road is following a variety of rivers through some very steep canyon  walls.

Rio Ebro

I love these fertile valleys between the mountain ridges.

Basque Country

Every narrow part of any valley and every mountain pass will have a  castle watching over you.

Left, right, left, right.  The road is not smooth, but that doesn't  matter.

Lagrán.  None of these small towns have fuel stations, so I'm being  pretty careful not to get too far down the road without filling.  Since  American cards don't work at self-service stations, I must not wait too  long.

Navarre

Cabredo.

Puente la Reina (Spanish) / Gares (Basque).  This is a walled town,  which I was fairly sure had at least one hotel within its walls (it did), but I  rode farther along until I saw this place.  I could easily walk back to the  center of town.

The convent garden is extensive.  I don't know that I've seen a  working bell tower quite so overgrown as this one.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Within the town walls.

It would appear that growing things on the bell tower is the thing to do.

Statues facing the church.

Checking the tire pressure and then using my air pump to put things to  right.  This little pump plugs into the same Powerlet socket that I use  for my electric vest (which I wire to the battery before starting out).   It easily and quickly pumps to 40 psi, which is what I need.

Water from the north, flowing to the south.  It's a common theme.

Güesa.  In the foothills of the Pyrenees, the towns begin to take on an  Alpine look, largely indistinguishable from the towns on the French side of the  border.

Ezcároz.

Ochagavia.

The higher the road climbs, the more narrow it becomes.

Evidently, there's a crest trail that follows the Pyrenees.  This is  part of it.

France

It tires me to think of it, but judging by the painted messages I saw on the  pavement, this road is often used for bicycle races.

Escout.  I'll occasionally meet such lines of cows moving to other  pastures.  They seem to know the way well enough.  I'll shut the  engine off and wait for them to pass.

A border collie was further down the road, turning the cows into the  proper pasture.  Their owner was standing just beyond the dog, but  really not needing to do anything.

Looking back to the Pyrenees, and Spain.  My favorites change  depending on where I am, but for today, the Pyrenees are my favorite  mountains.

Rabastens.  There must be a good story behind that goat on the pedestal.

Auch.

Gimont.

Castres.  I haven't shown you a single photograph of my ride through the  center of Toulouse.  That's just as well; it's nothing I want to do again.

I didn't have to look very far for a hotel in Castres.  It turns  out, I parked the bike right in front of a good one.

My room looks out over the L'Agout River.  It's running high and  muddy.  On this same day Paris is seeing high floods, but it's not quite  that bad this far south.

My restaurant for this night is the little place on the left.  They  only have seven tables, and there's no turnover during the evening.   Five tables were used, including mine.  I have some idea what I  ordered, but not fully.  Anyway, it was good.

The next morning, about a mile down the road, I noticed that the view was  particularly clear even though it was misting fairly heavily.

Oh; I'm not  wearing my glasses.

I turned around and rode back to the hotel.  There on the  street--just six feet from where I parked the bike for the night--are my  glasses.  Not crushed.  Let's not do that again.

Olargues.

I wanted to avoid the motorway (and all the many French toll stations), so kept  almost entirely to surface streets.  Unfortunately, that meant riding  through town after town after town that all run together.  From  Montpellier to Nimes is just a continuous, unpleasant stretch of urban  sprawl.  It's my fault; I should have known better.

Clermont-l'Hérault.

Into the foothills of the French Alps.

Sahune.  Following the Eygues River.

I liked the notch above the road.  I guess there's no point in cutting  out more rock than necessary.

Gap.  My last several miles were in cold rain.  I'd considered  going farther--I had time--but really, there didn't seem much point.  I'm in good  shape to be in Mandello tomorrow afternoon.

I parked in this plaza and walked around looking for a hotel, only to  come back and take a room in the hotel right in front of where I'd parked in  the first place.  The manager gave me the key to the hotel (and my  room) and said he'd see me the next morning.  Bonsoir!

Mine is the top window on the right.  It was good to have a  flashlight on my riding suit zipper when climbing the stairs as I never  found the light switch (and the stairs were anything but regular).

Many restaurants were closed for the evening due to the rain, but I found  a pretty good store-front pizza place.

This church building isn't all that old (dating from the late 1800's),  but according to the information on the plaque, a church has been on this  site since it was a Roman temple.

River La Durance

Briançon.  I've been through here several times, before.  It's the  natural pass between France and Italy so it isn't surprising that there are  plenty of castles and forts lining the way.

Italia

The Autostrada takes a different route (much of it in a tunnel), but I'm not  interested in that.

No treats for you; sorry!

Back in the wide Po River plain.  I'd have rain off and on during the  rest of the day, but it was never too bad.

Vigone.

San Bernardo.

Carmagnola.  I would have preferred--given more time--to stay away from  the Autostrada.  But, experience says that once you get anywhere near  Milano it's all pretty hopeless.  So, from Carmagnola, I took the ramp,  cranked the throttle up to 130 kph and rode around Turino towards Milano  (stopping occasionally to throw out some money at a toll booth)

And back.  As always, while I've been gone less than two weeks, it  always seems far longer.  Seeing so much new country every day really  stretches out time.

And, of course, I'll stop at the Mandello  gelateria for my traditional photograph.

Mama Ciccia's is where I always stay at the ride's end.

Lago Como.  World's most beautiful lake?

At the Milano Duomo the next afternoon.

More high-end shops than you'd think could be supported, but all  passengers are required to see all of them as you endlessly walk to your  gate.

Waiting for the Newark flight to load (most of this time I'm upstairs in the  lounge).  There's a curious lack of chairs here.  The airport (and all  those high-end shops) would prefer that you wait out by the shops and  restaurants and only show up at the gate when it's your time.

Welcome to America (and Chicago).  Have a genuine Chicago Dog.  you  won't find one of these in Italy.

An excellent ride.  Spain and Portugal remain on my list.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »

Even though you warned me.... so many photos!!!  EEK!  And some really nice ones, too.

You have just taken the ride that I was hoping to do next summer. I guess I don't have to do it now  Lol   Thanks again for taking us along for the ride  Bigok

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 05:24:56 pm »

Even though you warned me.... so many photos!!!  EEK!

Yeah; sorry.  Mainly it's a warning to anybody thinking of opening this up with their phone.  It might shut it down...
Advertisement

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:44:14 pm »

Wonderful pictures  Clap

Thanks for posting  Thumbsup

FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:57:33 am »

One heckuva trip! You were in the same areas as we've travelled, but I only recognized a few of the names. I agree with you about Leon. That's a city I'd like to spend more time in.

Thanks for the trip!  Beerchug
hppants

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Lafayette, LA
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:05 am »

Thanks for the memory of my short time in Barcelona two years ago.  My wife and I drank Sangria and ate Tapas on the Street without a care in the world.

We shall one day return to Spain, and in the meantime, I appreciate the time you took to share your trip.

Aging is inevitable.  Muturing on the other hand, is optional.
Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:48:59 am »

Thanks for the memory of my short time in Barcelona two years ago.  My wife and I drank Sangria and ate Tapas on the Street without a care in the world.

then let me add one more photograph from Barcelona for you:
nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler, W650, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:31:35 am »

Excellent report - thanks for posting so many pics and some narrative on what looks like a great place to travel on 2 wheels.
maropa9

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawa 1100 ZZR Kawa GTR 1400
GPS: Almeria-Spain-Europe
Miles Typed: 47

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:30:06 pm »

Excellent RR, thanks for sharing. I see you have enjoyed the tapas, jamon ¿and wines?  

Nacho Serrats  -Maropa9-
ZZR1100  1993
Almeria - Spain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal