Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: RIDE Guide to the Alps and other European areas  (Read 4608 times)

Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:28 am »

The latest copy of RIDE magazine has this guide which looks very useful for European ride planning, not just the Alps but lots of other areas, some of which I was unaware of. Enjoy! Cool

http://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride-guide-to-the-alps

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:20:29 am »

Interesting list. Two German, non-Alp routes that might be useful when flying into Frankfurt and renting there are the Odenwald area, just south of Frankfurt, and Schwartzwald, last mountains before reaching the Alps. Frankfurt is attractive because a number of non-stop flights go there (PHL-FRA AA700 & 701 work like a charm. Leave PHL at dinner time, land at FRA breakfast time (time shift +6hr) - easy peasy). The drive time, on the autobahn, to reach southern Bavaria is 4-5 hours (depends on traffic, weather, construction). Unless the route includes any of the above ...um... detours.

Another possibility is to drive in France, crossing the Rhine around Baden-Baden. And then there's the wine route... And all of this points roughly towards Basel.

Of course flying into Munich works, too. And there are also non-stops there (passing through Heathrow, etc. and DeGaulle, etc. is, IMHO, self-inflicted suffering).

The only border crossing of note is in and out of Switzerland - which isn't in the EU. Some areas of the Swiss border don't have crossing formalities, some do. Inter-EU crossings amount to anywhere from a sign to no sign to maybe an inquisitive official (never seen one, do know they exist). The UK isn't part of the Schengen Agreement - passport please. After Brexit, no change for the worse AFAIK. Carry your passport, driver's license (IMHO the International License is a waste of time and money - my PA license, with photo, has never been a problem), and insurance paperwork everywhere.

Bike selection... GS's and similar are very common. They certainly work in the twisties and mountain roads. If the weather turns wet... dress accordingly. I rode an R1200RT (read partial fairing) and had little difficulty, once I got my act together. The point is bikes with some measure of weather protection work just fine. If various HD models can do it (BTST), what can't do it???

For a samples of the passes mentioned, search YouTube for Alexander Thiessen and check out his many videos including an Eifel tour. The French D7 route video is... you gotta be ****in' me.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:09:04 pm by RBEmerson » Logged

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:38:50 am »

Thanks for posting. Nice resource. The three-day ride from Santander to Santiago de Compostela (Biker's Camino) looks a good one, and is different than routes we've taken on a similar journey. Next time...
Advertisement

Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:54:55 am »

There are so many routes that I would like to do, but number 67 in Portugal may be possible later this year. It looks spectacular and I've not ridden in Portugal before. Hopefully I will have time to include a couple of other routes as well. So many roads, so little time! Lol

https://tinyurl.com/gvkf2s3
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:09:04 am by Aero » Logged

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:17:51 pm »

M513 across the inner loops calls out for attention. I have no idea about the road condition, but the twitchy-looking road looks as though it's just begging to be ridden.

Too right about some many roads, so little time. The trick (much easier said than done) is to pick the good ones and leave the rest for the proletariat to use...  Bigsmile

However, a serious word of caution (or insight) - remember you're not the only person to read the book or know those routes. Depending on skill and faith, "the road less traveled" may well be the better choice. Or not.  Smile

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »

For a samples of the passes mentioned, search YouTube for Alexander Thiessen and check out his many videos including an Eifel tour. The French D7 route video is... you gotta be ****in' me.

Thanks for that! Great videos.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:23:10 pm »

You're welcome! I just watched his Penser Joch video - the road is as simple as I remember. His soundtracks are from Jamendo.com, a place to find good, "no-name" tracks for videos. Searching is a little awkward - AFAIK it only searches on tags, not artist or titles.  Headscratch

Although a bit uneven in spots, check Richy Vida's traveling videos. His Stelvio ride is "effin' brilliant" in his terms. His multi-day tour series is worth following. The one point, in what's going on during rides, that seems to be lost is he's on an intercom system (BT?), but only his voice is heard, nothing from the other bikes he talks with on occasion.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal