Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Roady XT mounting options??  (Read 2562 times)

zzr pilot

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 582

My Photo Gallery

2003 PMB ZZR 1200 (the fastest color!)

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:57:01 pm »

I recently got a great deal on a Roady XT (with service for the next 6 months!!).

Now I want to figure a way to mount it to the bike. I like the steering head ram mount and the Aquabox, however the XT requires the cradle to stay mounted to the unit and it will not fit in the Aquabox.

Does anyone know of any other way to mount this thing with some sort of weather proof characteristics?

Thanks

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entire
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

zzr pilot

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:05:42 pm »

come on, man!!  I can't believe I am the only one that has tried to mount a Roady XT on a bike?!?!?!?! Crazy

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entire
gremor

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 R1000RS
GPS: Massillon / Canton Ohio
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:32:13 am »

Here's a pic of my set-up. Not water proof, but I use a large gallon ziplock bag over it when it rains.
Seems to work well.
[img]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[img]
Advertisement

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:55:10 pm »

I simply used industrial strength / unisex "velcro" on the back of the radio and on the bike. Snap into place, connect power/ant/audio out. Again, not waterproof.
zzr pilot

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:10:27 pm »

I went with a Ram stem mount with a three inch arm connected to another ball that connects to the back of the cradle.

Nimh
Known Reprobate

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Motorcycles: 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 13 BMW R1200GS Adventure, 06 Suzuki DRZ400S, 06 Suzuki SV650 (hers)
GPS: Puget Sound, WA
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

I'm feeling it now...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 12:08:28 am »

Embarassment I didn't see this thread until tonight, and it sounds like you already have a solution.  Sorry.

I was looking into this last year, and found this mounting option.  Then I found an Inno for a good deal, and went that route instead.  From the ol bookmarks-

Hoonhardware Roady Mount

Cover
airborneXX

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 97 cbr1100XX 82 cb900c 99 ex250 91 cbr600f2
Miles Typed: 690

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 02:31:37 pm »

I also did the RAM stem mount. For waterproofing I just grab a zip loc bag on my way out the door.

Today is tomorrow's good old days
TheRedOnesAreFaster
Had to go with a white motorcycle to slow things down a bit.

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT, CanAm Ryker Rally Edition
GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 2036

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 03:47:30 pm »

I think Cycle Gadgets still sells a raincover for Roady-sized units.  I had one and it worked great.

For mounting my satellite radio, I cut a piece of 16 gauge stainless steel to the size I wanted, bolted it to the clutch lever, and mounted a cradle on that.  I simply take it out of the cradle when I want to use it in a different vehicle.

I've made several mounts with the steel, and it only cost me about $15, plus my time.

Silly Harley rider......Don't you know Tigers eat hogs?
hunter3705

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06' Kawasaki Concours, 06' Harley Sportster
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 06:29:55 pm »

RAM mounts are a very good way to go.  There's another company called Hoon Electrical that has a thing called a "Roady Holder" and they also sell wiring stuff and a rain cover.  Their mount is compatible with RAM.

http://www.hoonhardware.com/index.htm

Alan in Maryland
Rode dirt bikes as a kid, rediscovered riding in my 40's, now I ride every chance I get.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/549304052xzYcFx
hig4s
?????

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 09 Sporster 883
GPS: Saint Johns, FL
Miles Typed: 1322

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:33:49 pm »

I use a mount like the Roady holder,, (same but different company) and a zip lock sandwich bag and rubber bands over it to water proof.

2009 Harley Sportster 883
http://honpol.blogspot.com/
zzr pilot

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:13:48 am »

Thanks everyone.  I went with a Ram steering head mount (fits in the hex hole on the triple trees) and a three inch arm (to lift it about the tank bag).  I then mounted my Roady XT's cradle to another ram ball and put the whole thing together.  It looks great and puts the radio right where I can see it and operate it.

Unfortunately I tore some ligaments in my thumb and have not been able to ride the bike yet to try it out!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal