Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: New Bike (K1200GT)! Silly/Sad Story and Newbee Qs  (Read 2863 times)

hismildness

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW 2007 K1200GT
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:00:12 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please meet my newest bike, a 2007 K1200GT w/all bells and whistles save alarm (or I haven't found it yet). With 32k miles and imperfections only noticeable with determined inspection I was delighted to find her at an even $5k. To replace my beloved Harley I had settled on a FJR or Sprint ST. Both are fine bikes but with better sporting abilities, less noise and wind than I am accustomed to but OMG! A SWEET BEEMER SUPERBIKE! Add ESA, Traction Control, Xenon headlights, independently heated seats, etc, etc, etc! I am in love!

Here's the promised funny/tearjerker story. On the hour and a half ride home the right saddlebag left my life. I have no idea where this happened so it is completely gone!

The first photo was taken minutes after I bought the bike and minutes before the saddlebag escaped.

The second photo demonstrates that hot women just can't keep their hands off my new bike.  Wink

My newbie questions:
1. The local dealer can order the separate parts for the saddlebag at a bit over $1k. Any suggestions to save some coin on a replacement BMW bag?
2. Related: is there a preferred mail order or other parts house for BMW parts like the tall windscreen?
3. What is the consensus on independent mechanic vs. BMW dealers for scheduled maintenance, etc?
4. Is there a good FAQ for this model or BMW motorcycles in general?
5. Anything to be aware of with this bike and year?
6. Anything else I should know, long term issues, etc?
7. What are popular mods/farkels? Any decent radio installations?
8. Can I convert the BMW spec power outlet to power USB or 12v devices?
9. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. can I easily convert the stock seat to the one inch lower version?
10. If the BMW alarm is installed would it turn on and off automatically or is this a manual process? [I am surprised that a bike with every option would not have an alarm so it's possible that I am missing it.]

Thanks for reading my happy "brag" post.

Mild Bill
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

hismildness

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW 2007 K1200GT
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:11:44 pm »

My previous bikes:
2009 HD Crossbones - Lots of performance mods this may be the best looking bike I will ever own.
2007 FLHT Electric Glide Standard - a great cross country mount
2002? Dyna Superglide - hopped up with WP suspension to chase sport bikes through canyons (I am a proud knucklehead.
1995? Sportster 883 - A beautiful Candy Apple Red and lovely wheelies
1979 KZ650 - ugly but silky smooth $50 flood rescue
1982 Yamaha XT550 - my favorite bike Big Red would life the front wheel in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd with just the go button
1977 Kawaski KE250 - in Ft Huachuca in the middle of the Arizona desert this was the perfect first bike
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:22:50 am »

Congrats on your new Kay! Amazing motorcycle and I would bet the bag came off due to 100% human error on seller as I have gone many miles at "higher speeds" and they are stable and well designed for "those" conditions.

I would bet there would be a set or single bag for sale much cheaper than from oem dealers (even if you had to have one painted to match). Many great BMW specific forums from BMWOA, ibmw, BMW Luxury Touring, etc., and all have for sale threads and/or members that likely could help with good suggestions for the bag replacement. Tons of archived information to search and again, help for everything you wanted to know about "X", but were afraid to ask.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:01:40 pm by BobW » Logged

Retired and loving it.
Advertisement

Bigpoodle

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2010 BMW K1300S
GPS: Happy Valley PA
Miles Typed: 177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:45:44 pm »

Try Beemerboneyard.com. If they don't have the bag you need in stock you can register a request and they will email you when they get one in inventory. Prices are not the best ever, but way cheaper than new-from-dealer and since they do big volume in parts your odds of finding what you want are decent.
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »

Get registered over at

http://www.i-bmw.com/cmps_index.php

More information on BMW K bikes than you'll ever be able to read.  Congrats on the new bike.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 10:29:59 am »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please meet my newest bike, a 2007 K1200GT w/all bells and whistles save alarm (or I haven't found it yet). With 32k miles and imperfections only noticeable with determined inspection I was delighted to find her at an even $5k. To replace my beloved Harley I had settled on a FJR or Sprint ST. Both are fine bikes but with better sporting abilities, less noise and wind than I am accustomed to but OMG! A SWEET BEEMER SUPERBIKE! Add ESA, Traction Control, Xenon headlights, independently heated seats, etc, etc, etc! I am in love!

Here's the promised funny/tearjerker story. On the hour and a half ride home the right saddlebag left my life. I have no idea where this happened so it is completely gone!

The first photo was taken minutes after I bought the bike and minutes before the saddlebag escaped.

The second photo demonstrates that hot women just can't keep their hands off my new bike.  Wink

There is a proper way to mount a saddle bag and a wrong way. Um... you found the wrong way. The trick is to get the leg (or whatever it's called) on it's support. The end of the leg is U-shaped and goes over the end of the support. Then and only then are the two mounts at the top on the case put in place. Anything else means the bag can, as you found our, bite the dust. Fool question: did you retrace your route, looking for the bag?

My newbie questions:
1. The local dealer can order the separate parts for the saddlebag at a bit over $1k. Any suggestions to save some coin on a replacement BMW bag?

Beemerboneyard is one option. There's eBay, of course. BMWMOA's website is another ( http://forums.bmwmoa.org/ ). I can't recall if you need to be a member to access the Marketplace area. NTL, join BMWMOA. I fried my left bag (long story omitted) and found one at ( Duncan's Beemers ) in Maynard, MA (highly recommended).
2. Related: is there a preferred mail order or other parts house for BMW parts like the tall windscreen?

I doubt you'll find one anywhere. The K1200GT market is drying up (essentially all potential buys bought their stuff and the cost making and floor-planning stuff is no longer profitable)
(See comment below about modifying any bike recently purchased)
3. What is the consensus on independent mechanic vs. BMW dealers for scheduled maintenance, etc?

It's all a matter of chance and circumstance. BMW dealers are more likely to have skilled techs. Some independents are good. Both can have unskilled techs. If all you have is a local dealer, well there you are. If all you have is a local independent, well there you are. Do your homework and find out who's OK and who's not. (BMWMOA forum may help, ditto this forum)
4. Is there a good FAQ for this model or BMW motorcycles in general?

BMWMOA again. Also ( http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen/ ) and ( http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10 ).
6. Anything else I should know, long term issues, etc?

The early K1200/1300 slant four (as opposed to the 98-94 version with a flat four motor) had a number of problems. Go back to the seller or, if you're lucky, the PO's dealer to find out if this bike had all of the service bulletin items attended to.
7. What are popular mods/farkels? Any decent radio installations?

See below re: farkles
8. Can I convert the BMW spec power outlet to power USB or 12v devices?

Yes. See ( http://www.powerlet.com/ ) for all of your options. Check retailers (e.g., Revzilla - http://www.revzilla.com/sportbike-gear) and eBay for these items at sane prices.  .
9. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. can I easily convert the stock seat to the one inch lower version?

Sargent lists one: http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/World-Sport-Performance-Seat-BMW-K1200GT-K1300GT/
I rode a K1200GT with one and hated it (still do). It will probable make your 30" inseam issue worse. It demands a wider stance when stopped. Shifting your weight in turns (slow speed or road speed) is nearly impossibe. Not recommended.
Corbin lists one, too: http://corbin.com/bmw/bmwk12gtfr.shtml
I've ridden with a Corbin saddle on a Kawasaki C10 Concours. It was hard as a plank initially but moved into shape and became a firm and almost custom saddle. I have no experience with the one listed here (only K1200GT saddle offered). However it has the same wider seat shape as the Sargent. My guess is it will demand a wider stance. Contact both companies, explain your concerns, and see what happens. Also ask on all forums listed above.
10. If the BMW alarm is installed would it turn on and off automatically or is this a manual process? [I am surprised that a bike with every option would not have an alarm so it's possible that I am missing it.]

RTFM or ask on the forums listed above. IMHO the alarm isn't worth it. Chances are you won't hear it, it will go off when it shouldn't. Don't park where someone while pick the bike up with a crane, drop it into pickup or on a flatbed or U-Haul truck and speed off into the night. Do lock the steering.

Mild Bill

You're welcome.

Now, farkles...
Until you've ridden many hundreds or a thousand miles (give or take),leave the bike alone!!!  Throw on risers, droppers, and whatever else your wallet can stand and the odds are you'll have a [/expletives deleted] bike. BMW really does know a thing or two about ergonomics. They know a thing or two about a lot of things. Try their way of doing things. A lot. With one exception. Install an air horn (there are small, but loud horns).

'Nuff said. For now...  Wink

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15152

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 11:52:05 am »

If you were in/near Seattle I could recommend an independent in a heartbeat. Alas, you did not include your location in your profile, so I am left guessing where you might be...  Razz

Happy to have one to read

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
three west

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
GPS: Mad town, WI
Miles Typed: 567

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 06:45:23 pm »

Cam chain tensioner comes to mind, but it was probably already done.  I just put an abs module in mine, but I still love it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal