Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Shotcut and Audacity  (Read 7052 times)

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:18:48 pm »

Nice. I knew you were working on the alert timing but I didn't know it was for the roadkill text. Good job!

At 6 minutes I started waning so started jumping ahead a few minutes at a time; trying to catch the shot transitions to new roads.  I don't know if anyone else can, but I can tell you put a lot of work into it. It shows.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 02:30:03 pm »

Thanks! A lot of the time was spent in the learning curve. NTL, once I hit a good plateau, getting the timing right was not so simple. I'm not 100% pleased with the cuts at the front and back of scene 2 (the loooooong one).

OTOH, in scene 2, the change from Esther Garcia's Crossing The Universe to Michael Cires' The Light Through The Trees was a tough one. The results pleases me no end. Crossing is in 3/4 time while The Light is in 4/4. I had to get The Light going as the first beat after the preceding three beats in Crossing. (3/4 = three beats to a measure or waltz time, 4/4 = four beats to the measure or what most music uses). Anything else (e.g., picking up after beat one or two or in between the beats) sounds soooo wrong, even for non-musicians. It's like a stumble while walking - hard to miss.

(Footnote: scene 2 opens with Alexander Blu's Electricty. This is by way of a thank you to Alexander Thiessen (in the Inspiration From: list). He introduced me to Jamendo and Blu. His Alps videos were also a starting point for me. Search for him on YouTube. The videos want some editing, but where he was riding is awesome. Start with the Timmelsjoch video; all will become clear. Anyway...)

Scene 2 is too long. I tried a set of jump cuts, to lose much of the straight parts, and it looked awful. It looked like MTV video-paced cuts on meth. I'll try cross fades. The problem is the bike and the yellow line, in crossfades, are close to each other, but not quite the same. It's much like the audio stumble above. Worse, going in and out of shade and sunlight limits choices. The cut from scene 2 to 3 shows that.

In this cut, I cut one frame after a frame that shows a big flash off the gauges. With much of scene 3 brighter than the end of scene 2, I thought cutting here made more visual sense. Fail. My options in scene 2 were very limited. roughly a half dozen frames later I started to stand up on the pegs to avoid being tossed around by train tracks. Craning up and going into scene 3, which is back at normal eye height, is, again, soooooo wrong.

Oh yeah - one piece of serendipity (everybody's vocabulary word for the day). The applause at the start of scene 1 is on the original music track, and not my doing. I worked my way through the warning titles and the 10% speed as the very ground up deer goes by - didn't hit any of it AFAIK. I added the green scrubbing title, played this bit back, and discovered the applause for doing the quick scrubbing played at the right moment. Lucky me! See Alexander Blu's Concert (title) for the proof I didn't fudge this.

I hope the names in the opening credits produced at least a smile. I'm not sure I can talk Kay into doing another Side-Stand film, though. Only the costumer is the real deal, of course. The writer might just become the "Music by" guy. I found a Dickey F album on Jamendo... talk about go ahead Chicago blues! (For the humor impaired - think of an English guitarist, nicknamed "Slowhand", known for his blues chops... ah-hem, yes. If ya gotta explain the joke, it ain't that funny) When I asked the director to do another film, he lived up to his name.  Rolleyes Hurl

OK, enough of editing 101.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »

I'm back to Shotcut... for some reason, when I cut the original video, I thought I was getting good cross dissolves out of Resolve. I suspect I backed into special cases that work as wanted and didn't stumble into the usual edits/transitions that break things.

My original video definitely needs to be cut down. As soon as I started cutting and dissolving in the middle of a clip, the wheels fell off. The playback was simply unusable; I got a few frames from the resolve, a long wait, more frames, more waiting. It seems that my graphics hardware is simply not up to the job. Being as how I'm using a laptop, the odds of changing to a better GPU are... zero, zip, nada. Which essentially brings Resolve to a halt for me. Sorta.

Shotcut doesn't ...um... cut it, either. But there is a Linux version. I installed it and saw all of the familiar windows, etc. Cross dissolves still are a mess. But! I can change the graphics card. And I have. I can now do reasonably good edits with good transitions. The "sorta" explained: Shotcut titling is ...um... what can I say? Pretty third world, video-wise. Aside from slapping static letters on the screen, not a lot going on there.  Sad

The "sorta" process: edit on Shotcut. Export the results to Resolve, add titling and maybe a few simple SFX, add the parts of the soundtrack that depend on titling, and call it done. Oh, of course, the Shotcut output has to cross from Linux-land to Windows-world.  

Advertisement

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 09:27:43 pm »

But wait! It gets worse! I exported a copy of the Shotcut-editied material, brought it back into Shotcut as a quality check. The wheels have departed the vehicle. A-effin-gain. The contrast in the exported image is badly screwed to the white side (translation: sux). Why this is so escapes me. I've raised the issue on the Shotcut forum. I'll post the results for anyone brave enough to follow this saga. Meanwhile, two screen grabs from Shotcut...

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u188/RBEmerson/Screenshot%20from%202016-11-06%2020-39-26.png
Original (overexposed - blame the camera)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u188/RBEmerson/Screenshot%20from%202016-11-06%2020-40-20.png
Exported (equally overexposed - low contrast)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:31:21 pm by RBEmerson » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal