Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Shop says ABS pump seized up—$2,000 replacement of ABS system?  (Read 6674 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 367

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1676

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 01:26:12 pm »

Sounds like you made a good choice !

If you like the bike I'd recommend getting another parts bike.  For 2000 bucks you might as well spend a little more and get another bike.

Bike is only worth around just shy of 3500 $$
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:29:25 pm by rajflyboy » Logged

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1764

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »

My thoughts on this are that I've never seen an ABS pump fail in such a way that it only affects one circuit and not both.  That strikes me as odd.  I guess it may be possible, but odd.

The second thought is about the cost.  It's probably a Bosch pump, and therefore the cost is going to be the same as a BMW part, because it will be the same as a BMW part.  I would look around and see if any can be sourced from used part dealers.  Really, there should be no problem finding one (It's probably the same part number used in many, many bikes).

Third, replacing an ABS pump isn't brain surgery.  Any reasonably competent mechanic should be able to do it.  If you feel able to replace a brake component such as a caliper yourself, then it really won't be a whole lot more work.

Yeah that's a weird failure. I'm betting against it being a Bosch pump.  If it was then Module Masters would be able to get it going. Not so much a factor now that a second hand pump has been sourced.

Good luck with the repair.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
viffergyrl

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1300

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:18 pm »

:popcorn:

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
Advertisement

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 05:00:24 pm »

So...my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the ABS hydraulic unit (also simply called the "ABS pump") is a part of the fluid circuit for the entire braking system. And if this pump has "seized up" (not exactly sure what that means—these are the shop's words), it's not simple to just restore normal braking function without ABS. Because (I think) the only way to do this is to rig the brake lines to bypass the ABS pump.

If this is correct, then this may be why the shop has been stalling. (I just assumed it was quick-n-easy to do.)

Regardless, I called them this morning and told them I found a second-hand ABS pump online and bought it, and asked if I brought it down there would they install it? They said sure, bring it down.

So that's the plan now. They're already into a $200-300 worth of work on the bike, so it's worth not having to take the time to do it myself to have them do it. (While they haven't been ultra-communicative and detailed in explanations, I've seen no evidence that their work is shoddy or unsafe.)

I should get the new-used pump tomorrow or Wednesday, so stay tuned!

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:26:50 pm »

You are correct.  To bypass the ABS pump would require new brake lines.

Three points where two lines meet
st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie and 1993 Ducati 907ie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 07:49:02 am »

I should get the new-used pump tomorrow or Wednesday, so stay tuned!

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
viffergyrl

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 09:21:58 am »

I'm sure Scott got distracted by the huge ice storm in Eugene last week....

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6400

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 07:23:43 am »

The shop says because the ABS pump seized up, the entire ABS system needs replacing—to the tune of $2,000+.  EEK!   They also said they could just remove the ABS system entirely for $400.

My question for you guys is, does this all sound plausible? Or does it sound like bullshit?

First, I am not an expert on ABS or motorcycle maintenance, BUT I call BS.  Largely because a lot of shops (sadly) try to exploit the "stupidity" of the average owner and ASSUME they don't know anything about fixing things.  I go to a mechanic because I don't have the right tools and/or time to do it myself.  It doesn't mean I don't know HOW to fix something myself.

Normally everything is a series of components.  The failure of one almost never affects the other parts (taking them down with it).  You should be able to replace the ABS pump, thoroughly flush out the brake lines, and everything SHOULD work properly.  The black fluid only shows contamination, not that the calipers are damaged.  Every ABS pump should operate like a standard master cylinder if the ABS functionality fails.  You'll get an ABS light or error code, but the brakes should work properly.

As far as rear not working but front working, any system where one master cylinder services all wheels likely baffles output so if one part fails, you don't lose everything...although it's odd that a rear wheel failure doesn't automatically shut off the whole system.  Every automobile is designed so that the front wheels and rear wheels are on separate circuits and the reservoir is baffled to separate fluid once it runs low.  This way, if you have a catastrophic failure on the front or rear brakes, you still keep the other two wheels for stopping.  Hence why you can't kill a person by just cutting ONE brake line.

You might try going to a forum that has "experts" on ABS systems (a mechanic or DIY site perhaps) and see if others have had to do a full system replacement or just fix the damaged part(s).

For what they are trying to pull, I'd sooner remove the ABS function for $400 than pay $2,000 for a needless batch of repairs.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:31:39 am by zer0netgain » Logged

zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6400

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 07:26:43 am »

And the bike is sitting at the shop and I don't have a trailer.

Buy a couple of ratchet tie-downs and a motorcycle ramp and ask someone with a pickup truck to help you get it home.  Cool

kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 10:37:28 pm »

I'm sure Scott got distracted by the huge ice storm in Eugene last week....

I was just in my local shop the other day and overheard a conversation with a guy agreeing to a $4400 quote for repairing his ABS...  I'm assuming its a newer BMW otherwise I'd put that money towards another bike.  
viffergyrl

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 11:51:53 pm »

Well. Pretty much 6 months have past....

Tusk
aka MarkG

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Yamaha FJR,1988 Honda HawkGT and 2015 FJ-09
GPS: Abingdon, MD
Miles Typed: 187

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 07:10:15 am »

Dang, I just read the whole thread fresh and was denied the solution! Just like a motorcycle maintenance show season finale.  Headscratch

viffergyrl

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2017, 09:52:58 am »

Scott gets distracted very easily.

Aviator

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '07
GPS: Chattanooga, TN
Miles Typed: 79

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 03:21:02 pm »

So what happened?

2007 BMW K1200S
In the fastest colors!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal