Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Planning a trip to the Ozarks in Arkansas & Looking for some Information  (Read 3103 times)

Burbs

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS 2015 Ducati Monster 821
GPS: Alabama
Miles Typed: 228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:44:43 pm »

My wife and I plan on riding the Ozarks this upcoming spring and I wanted to get some advice as to what town we should use as our basecamp. I'm debating between Harrison and Clarksville. Any one stick out as the better option?

There are a ton of resources online for roads that I've found but are there any "must hits" that I should include on our endeavors? Any hidden treasures you'd be willing to clue me in on?

As for food, any locally owned "mom and pop" places we should hit?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Burbs
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:15:14 pm by Burbs » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

jay547

Reputation 252

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2932

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »

We like the Hub, just south of Harrison. It's a little dated but is geared toward motorcyclists and run by good people. The restaurant is decent too.

http://www.hubinfo.com/

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
SLK50

Reputation 43

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1262

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »

I really like Eureka Springs.
Good roads in any direction.
Dozens of places to stay.
Plenty of great restaurants.
Advertisement

DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 06:11:53 pm »

In your travels the Cliff House Inn is a good stop and pay the premium for the "Company's Comin' Pie"!
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 07:16:58 pm »

I really like Eureka Springs.
Good roads in any direction.
Dozens of places to stay.
Plenty of great restaurants.

+1

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Burbs

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 01:06:25 pm »

How is the traffic in Eureka around Memorial Day? We will be in the area around that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jay547

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:13:36 pm »

It will be very crowded, particularly in town itself. If you're planning on seeing Eureka, plan on doing a lot of walking.

But if you don't mind that, Eureka is very cool. We go there a couple times a year.

Burbs

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 08:31:49 am »

Any recommendations for places to stay in the Eureka Springs area? I wasn't going to stay in that area originally but now I'm leaning towards the cottage/cabin idea.

-Chris
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1093

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:06:42 am »

You should also consider staying in Mountain Home, AR.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Burbs

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 09:10:11 am »

You should also consider staying in Mountain Home, AR.

I did see that on the map, what do you like about this area?
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1093

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:41:18 am »

I did see that on the map, what do you like about this area?

Access to the best roads in both Arkansas and southern Missouri.  Haven't stayed there, but passing though I saw plenty of hotels and restaurants, even though it is a small town.  MSTA has been holding a regional event in the area for better than 20 years and it fills up every year, so you can count on the twisty road riding being great.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
DeansZG

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 320

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 11:14:20 am »

Any recommendations for places to stay in the Eureka Springs area? I wasn't going to stay in that area originally but now I'm leaning towards the cottage/cabin idea.

-Chris

I'll add that E.S. is very m/c friendly w/ lots of businesses posting welcome motorcyclists..  The Guest House International Swiss Holiday Resort worked well for us.  A plus for me was that the pool / spa area is behind the motel & somewhat hidden from street view, & easy walking distance to a few restaurants & an m/c parts/accessory shop too.  http://alturl.com/fi3xu    

Burbs

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 10:10:38 pm »

Well I've booked us a cabin at Eureka Springs Sunset Cabins. Affordable and great reviews. Can't wait fort his trip.
wheatonFJR
sportTOURER

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 12:51:55 pm »

I've been to AR a few times, and people have hosted small rides emanating from the BW- Clinton, various motels around Mountain View, and in Harrison.

I like Clinton, but Harrison has more restaurants and hotels.

wheatonFJR
1moreroad
Motard Tourer?

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 15 FJ-09
GPS: MidSouth
Miles Typed: 3801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 05:10:14 pm »

Of all the towns mentioned, I like Eureka Springs the best.  Mountain Home is on the east side of everything, so it some better roads will be farther away.  Mountain View is < 1 hour from Mountain Home but a little less expensive.  The town square in Mountain View has character.  You'll be riding west for a little while to get to good roads (except Push Mountain).  

Russellville is good if you want to hit the Ouachita Mountains, too (IMO not as good as the Ozarks).  Russellville is stuck in a river valley, though, so the roads immediately around it except the short stretch up to  Mount Nebo) are boring.

We stayed at the Hub last April.  It was fine.  Good restaurant.  My buddy was unimpressed.  We stayed in Russellville the 2nd night.

Arkansas aggressively markets to motorcyclists.  Their guide is here: http://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/ and it's good.

My favorite roads are Push Mountain (341) between Mountain View and Mountain Home (best riding north to south) and 123/74 around Mount Judea.  Both are all paved in spite of what some maps say.

16 and 27 are good ways to get across the state east to west.  Pig Trail is famous, but it was very crowded last time I was on it.  Oark Cafe has good burgers (but that's hardly a hidden gem, just a gem).

The government can't regulate common sense or outlaw stupidity. -anon
soonerstan56

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '05 Concours '19 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
GPS: Norman,Okla. U.S.A.
Miles Typed: 329

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:49 pm »

Good choice using E.S. as a base. No matter which direction you go are great roads.
I arrived late on a Friday one time and learned there was a Corvette meet up one year and was forced to ride to Harrison in the dark to find a room.
I don't like riding past sundown,especially on a two lane.
After spending the night there I learned some of the history of the town and saw a disturbing billboard the next morning that would have kept me riding to a different locale.Thomas Robb, national director of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, maintains his office near Harrison in the outlying town of Zinc and uses a Harrison mailing address for the organization.[13] Combined with the history of the 1905 and 1909 banishment of unemployed railroad workers and all other African-American residents, this incidental connection to the KKK has given the town a negative image. Some residents have taken steps to combat the image in recent years.[14]

Controversial billboard welcoming people to Harrison, Arkansas
In 2013, a billboard appeared that read: "Anti-Racist is a Code Word for Anti-White. "In response, a local radio station removed its nearby billboard, and students from North Arkansas College passed out fliers calling for a protest of the sign.[15] An official statement read: "The mayor’s office considers the content inflammatory, distasteful and not in line with the truth on how Harrison is a city of welcoming and tolerant citizens."[16]
However, as of October, 2016, the billboard remains displayed.
jay547

Reputation 252

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 08:40:33 pm »

I've heard that before but I've been through there a dozen times or more and never seen it. Where is it?

rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1619

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 06:22:24 am »

Ozarks are beautiful !!

Awesome sign too  Thumbsup

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal