Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »

I was watching a video about four guys from Scotland headed the Dolomites. One was on possibly a VFR and given to serious amounts of speed. But that isn't what brought him to the attention of Swiss police. Yes he was going at the speed limit. But, no, he wasn't on his side of the center line (the story gets gets hazy about that - surprise). Pay the fine on the spot. How much? ChF 400. Have a nice day, sir.  EEK!

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »

I had to pay 120 Euro, on the spot, in Austria for not having an 8 Euro tax stamp on my rental car.  

GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: STR
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:46 am »

Try that in Norway to add 60% to the fine  Bigsmile
Advertisement

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15160

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:04:30 am »

It is only common sense to stay on your side of the line. Any deviation should not be tolerated, and the fines dutifully paid.  

(Welcome to Switzerland  Cool )

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:36:26 pm »

Fines paid on the spot? Sounds like Tijuana in the old days.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:56:53 pm »

The center line guy was, IMHO, another demonstration of "there are no guilty people in jail". He didn't think he was doing anything bad. From what was in the video, I'd say he was a fine waiting to be paid.  

Paying on the spot... A) this is Switzerland - being a knob is not permitted; ride like a knob, pay like a knob. B) if they hauled you in and you didn't get your wallet smacked hard, it's likely you'd take off and sin again - this is Switzerland - sinning is not permitted.  Razz

Norway... my father told the tale of a Norwegian who told him, "here we take care of your from erection to resurrection". Somebody's got to pay the freight.  Rolleyes

Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:13:57 am »

Swiss fines have changed a lot since last we were there.

If you had seen the way some UK tourists drive you might feel differently about the fine.

They get so enthralled by the scenery they forget which country they are in & which side of the line they should be on.

Increased enforcement is becoming increasing common - nothing new if you're a tourist - 100 Euro for <15 km over the limit this summer in Spain.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this [email protected] keyboard.
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:48:16 am »

For the record, I was there last July. The account of the ChF 400 fine was from video shot about two years ago. The riders are Brits.

I think I've recounted spending 10 minutes(!) trying to get pass Alf and the missus in their "takes up 90% of the road" motor caravan. Made all the more frustrating for thinking, a lot, "move to the right and all will be right". The missus was watching me in the mirror on the left. Alf was, of course, Driving on the right. If he couldn't see the right side of the road...  Crazy The accompanying story about the fine (essentially, I wasn't doing anything bad) didn't match the video of long stretches on the wrong side.

It's the increasing enforcement bit that has me worried. In towns, meh. I expect it and generally try to keep at about 50 k/h, observe zebras, etc. Even on many open roads, I generally behave. It's up in the mountains that I'm more likely pass where possible and the national open road limit is ...um... not foremost in my thinking. Now if polizei and polizia show up there... Not so good.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:54 pm »

It's the increasing enforcement bit that has me worried. In towns, meh. I expect it and generally try to keep at about 50 k/h, observe zebras, etc. Even on many open roads, I generally behave. It's up in the mountains that I'm more likely pass where possible and the national open road limit is ...um... not foremost in my thinking. Now if polizei and polizia show up there... Not so good.

I am still not aware of any undue patrolling away from villages and towns. Occasionally you'll get a day on one of the passes where they do a "spot check" of the bikes, but then they're just checking for tire wear, excessively noisy pipes...the usual no-nos. For the police to pull you over while moving, you'd have to be doing something blatantly illegal and/or stupid.

The mobile cameras, on the other hand, are out to get you  couch

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Tiffany1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Harley Davidson 2006
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 03:26:35 pm »

It's quite an experience with those fines there, I was very surprised as well and thought they were corrupt, but I was with a local friend (luckily enough).
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:33:14 pm »

I am still not aware of any undue patrolling away from villages and towns. Occasionally you'll get a day on one of the passes where they do a "spot check" of the bikes, but then they're just checking for tire wear, excessively noisy pipes...the usual no-nos. For the police to pull you over while moving, you'd have to be doing something blatantly illegal and/or stupid.

True dat! I was driving through the Odenwald area (S of Frankfurt) and encountered a mobile camera. The manning officers were literally hiding behind the bushes, waiting for their next victim. OTOH I knew of one mobile camera location that's hard to miss. It has its own paved turnout, just one police van long.  Rolleyes It's on the inside of a relatively tight curve, on the far side of the apex. People racing out of Wiesbaden get shot about much as people are shot by Killboy on the Dragon...  Bigsmile

ADDED: Take heart, fines aren't just "revenue enhancement" for a one horse town. There are, no doubt, bent cops, but almost always, if they get you, it's the truth. 'Course, bein' got don't come cheap.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:36:37 pm by RBEmerson » Logged

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 02:16:21 pm »

It's quite an experience with those fines there, I was very surprised as well and thought they were corrupt, but I was with a local friend (luckily enough).

Did you have to pay the fine? If not, I am interested to hear the story  :popcorn:

Member since 2003
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1537

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:42:55 am »

I was watching a video about four guys from Scotland headed the Dolomites.

Do you have a link to the video?

Curious to see what they were doing.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:30 pm »

I don't have the link, but the commentary was ...um... not that reliable (essentially, "we wasn't doin' nuthin' mister"). My guess is there was a bit of instinctual "keep the white line on the right" coupled with a severe overdose of testosterone, and a severe underdose of common sense. Basically Brit boys acting up and getting smacked for it.

Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »

Is there a receipt given for these fines paid on the spot? Lol  Is there a charge and a fine or a 'fine' to avoid being charged?

Ride em if ya got em...
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »

AFAIK, there's a receipt and, since plastic is more likely than cash, a credit card receipt. And (with, I'm sure, a few exceptions) Swiss police are straight up. It's the Swiss way, period. No, I do not have first hand information, nor do I want it. With Swiss friends and occasion (non-bike) trips, there's simply no reason not to think otherwise. Ditto for Austria and Germany. In the latter case, my mother-in-law had contact with them in connection with attempted fraud. No complaints from anyone in the family. Just the reverse, they were more than satisfied with their experience. The scammer, BTW, never showed up at the place for the money swap.

FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:09 am »

It's the euro zone. Historically, people would scoff at the law, get a ticket, then get home somewhere across the borders and forget about it. Now, on-the-spot fines. Problem solved. Arguing your case in a foreign language is a bit tricky.
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1857

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 01:01:58 pm »

They always let Dante off because you know...   she is Dante after all

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal