Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Keeping feet dry  (Read 2888 times)

Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1096

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »

Hello one and all. this may seem a silly question, but I am looking for input before making a purchase.

After almost 5 years of daily use in all kinds of weather, my Aerostich Transit leather suit is starting to wear out, and Aero no longer makes the suit, so getting repairs done would be impossible (I have checked. They have let go their "leather guy"). The trousers for the suit are boot cut style legs, and fit over the boot, ensuring no water gets inside.

I am not looking at the Hydra WP Leather jacket and jeans from Weise (UK outfit). Good prices, and they get good customer reviews. Unfortunately, the trouser leg is the skinny ankle boy racer type that fits  inside the boot. Being a year round rider, and riding in torrential rain at times, how would I keep my feet dry? The only alternative I have thought of so far is Gore-Tex socks.

Cheers,

Kai
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2374

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »

I've seen several types of boot covers. I can't remember where I got mine. The ones I've seen, and own, have a "strechy" at the top to help keep water out.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1096

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:06:50 pm »

I've seen several types of boot covers. I can't remember where I got mine. The ones I've seen, and own, have a "strechy" at the top to help keep water out.

Thanks.I'll check out Aerostich.
Advertisement

jay547

Reputation 258

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3063

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »

The only alternative I have thought of so far is Gore-Tex socks.

That's what I do.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:42:55 am »

I've seen stretchy ends on boot covers (and glove covers).

I've found that water will still get thru from gravity alone.

The only way to keep boots (and gloves) dry is to tuck the waterproof cover in your waterproof pants (or sleeves).

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 383

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:25:39 am »

I see no way to keep water out of boots when the pants don't go over the boots.  That's why I think waterproof ankle high boots are worthless for riding in rain.  

I've never tried Gore-Tex socks.  It sounds like the best option, but I wouldn't expect them to help much with cold when wet.

IBA #8027
Fun Dog
Well alrighty then...

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '01 Aprilia Futura
GPS: Joja
Miles Typed: 451

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »

Gaiters.  They're good for keeping rain/snow out of the top of your boots while hiking.  If you were to wear them over motorcycle pants, I would suggest you get an extra large size since most gaiters are designed to be worn over thin jeans and not thick motorcycle pants.  OR (Outdoor Research) makes good gaiters.

Torque equals horsepowa times the square root of your momma
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 05:34:07 pm »

I'm on my second pair of Tourmaster boots and have never had a wet foot.  The longest downpour I rode thru was on a freeway for just over 200 miles but I've ridden in the rain many many times.

Ride em if ya got em...
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:07:14 pm »

I'm on my second pair of Tourmaster boots and have never had a wet foot.  The longest downpour I rode thru was on a freeway for just over 200 miles but I've ridden in the rain many many times.

Do your riding pants go over the boot or into?

IBA #8027
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:13:01 pm »

Over

Ride em if ya got em...
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »

Over

Exactly.

IBA #8027
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 03:05:01 pm »

Rain gear over boots, Aerostich Combat Lite boots with rubbed-in (looks like grease) waterproofing.  Thumbsup Thumbsup

IMHO counting on Gore-Tex socks is a day late and a dollar short. If you need to trap water inside the boots, it's much too late. Wet boots can do ugly things (can you say "bacteria and fungus farm"?) and the leather and stitching won't hold up as long as they might.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
WileyOne

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Triumph Trophy
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 04:11:43 am »

I live in Cascadia, have traveled the planet and pride myself on using alpine and sailing technologies to beat the rain.  This year?  
More rain this year than in recorded history.  F*kit, going riding anyway.   I'll use VooDoo.  
We don't just ride in the rain on a daily basis, we simply couldn't ride otherwise.  

Even goretex leaks after a while. Or any other manufacturers "breathable textile laminate membrane".  The pores between the textile threads get clogged and you have to heat wash to get them "revitalized".  Helly Hansen 101.  

Try Outdoor Research Gaiters as per slvrsprints suggestion (give them a good Nikwax or Scotchguard treatment).  
This keeps water from getting in the boot tops.  Or cut off a leg of an old neoprene wetsuit and invert it.  Stretch the wide part over the top of the boot opening...Stretch the wide part over the top of the boot opening...you can get a set made with Ykk zippers for about $30.

Then Showers Pass waterproof socks (or Sealskinz). You can wear the over the calf, or the crew length over your thinner socks.  These things are amazing.   I can wear my socks with TEVAS and walk in a creek and still be dry.  Proven in Alaska...and the tropics.  

Depending on the type of boots - seal the seams, and apply Sno-Seal (follow the directions and heat the boots first using a hair dryer or space heater).  I do this with my Sidi's and my Forma ADV boots having learned years ago with leather Vasque mountain climbing boots.  
Once sealed up, dry as a bone.  And the "goretex" membranes still breathe.  Proven.     The "grease" mentioned with regard to Aerostitch is a knock-off of the Sno-Seal beeswax formula.  The original is still the best.  You can even buff it to a shine and shoe polish over it if that's your thing.  

Boot covers?  Bah... you 'll look like a muppet.  You might as well use saran wrap.  OK, so the cheap ass route just to get home?  Bread bags.  
Just put them on over your socks and get on with it.   Your feet may sweat (no breathing) and therefore get cold or really uh...nasty in the tropics, but the technique works in a pinch.  Bacteria?  Um.....in a pinch pour a bit of blue listerine into the toes of your boots.  OR rubbing alcohol.  

Powder your feet up first and you'll shrivel less. Monkey Butt, Tinactin, Gold Bond, not baby powder to talcum though because your sweat turns it into cement.  Just take your socks off before strolling across the carpet leaving cocaine footprints.  I once came in late one night and left a trail all over the house.  

Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:42:09 am »

I have hot feet, thus I prefer vented riding boots.  Instead of suffering 90% of the time in "waterproof" boots on trips and commutes, I got a pair of Klim GTX socks and haven't looked back.  They pack tight and light making them easy to keep on the bike at all times and have never let me down unlike other "waterproof" gear.  

zer0netgain

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6412

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 07:24:51 am »

The only alternative I have thought of so far is Gore-Tex socks.

Socks are a non-option.

There are better socks for helping to keep your feet dry once wet or to keep them dry in a boot from sweat (e.g., Gore-Tex), but they are useless if you're standing in a boot full of water.  They wick moisture away, they don't make a waterproof barrier.

Some kind of boot cover is what you need, but honestly, I'd see about finding a "leather guy/gal" who can modify the legs of your desired suit so they have more room and will fit OVER the outside of the boot.  It's little more than adding material into the suit from the calf down.  This way you don't need to don/remove the boot covers whenever it starts to rain.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal