Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: One-piece - not Aerostich?  (Read 2089 times)

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:40 pm »

It's not that I don't like Aerostich, but I can't sell me on the cost of their one-piece gear. Walking into a store or office in AGATT can be kinda lame, but climbing out and back into the pants, etc. is just not happening. Hence the appeal of a one-piece that I can get out of and back into without a fuss and contortions.

Beyond that, I wonder if any one-piece is truly a ride in 30F-90+F piece of gear. Obviously the liner(s) will change with the seasons. Right now I've got an Olympia winter jacket and pants (backed up with a heated jacket liner), and Olympia mesh gear for the summer. Swapping only one for the other isn't a full win for the "doff and don" requirement.

Suggestions for something not requiring a mortgage that gets it done?

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:43 pm »

RB, I've been using Aerostich since 1992...till last summer.

That means each of my two suits that I've bought from them lasted 12 years (I still have them). Not bad, but as convenient as they are, I always needed to cart a rain suit along and I got tired of that. Yes there are owners that claim they do not leak...fine, but I must be riding in totally different conditions.

Last May I went for the Klim Latitude jacket and pants and I remained dry (other than a bit of dampness near the collar opening) in the heaviest of rain that I ran into in Germany last summer and I mean over an hour of heavy rain where the rain coming down the sloped roads was flowing in steps. My rain suit never left the top case in the six weeks I was there.

Of course that is a new suit so I cannot comment on how it performs at year 5 or 10.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
aviationfred

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2008 VFR800, 2000 VFR800, 1996 VFR750 1990 FJ1200, 1990 VFR750
GPS: Wichita, Kansas
Miles Typed: 254

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 01:13:05 pm »

I have ridden with a Joe Rocket Survivor one-piece suit. I can verify that this suit will perform very well in sub-freezing temps. The warmest that I have rode with it has been about 80F. The 'Big Air' venting system works very well. The suit claims to be 100% water proof. The only rain that I have experienced was a heavy 10 minute long downpour. No water made it through.

Fred

IBA #65004
Advertisement

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:42:36 pm »

My error for not updating this thread.

I've just consumed the Aerostich Kool-aid, albeit with an eBay special. The suit's due about a week from now (parcel post... grrrr...).

TonyKZ1

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1997 Yamaha Seca II, 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Gone), 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (sold)
GPS: Southeast MO
Miles Typed: 94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:36:43 am »

I should have posted in this topic sooner I guess. I've been wearing a FieldSheer Highland II one-piece suit for many years. In fact, I've got two now, one in XXL and one in XXXL (their sizing runs a little smaller than the XL Firstgear and Tourmaster jackets that I've got). I wear the XXXL in the wintertime as there's plenty of room even with all the heavy insulated liners & heated vest. They've been discontinued for some time from FieldSheer but occasionally you can find one that's in mostly new shape or been rarely worn.

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler.
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »

My suit showed up much sooner than the seller planned on(*). The thing definitely needs time in the washing machine(!). OTOH, it really does work. But... damned if I can get the top of the main zipper to join up worth a hoot. I watch the videos and... WTF?!?  

(*)Let this be a lesson you, kiddies. The seller was going to use parcel post, included in the $550 selling price. OK, I'm good with that. But... (and here's the lesson) he wrote my address on a Priority Mail address label. Sounds bad, right? But... he very carefully snipped off all of the obvious Priority Mail stuff. But... the USPS guy took one look at a white rectangle with "FROM:" up top and "TO:" and said "Ah-ha!! Old-school Priority address label - that'll be $14 extra over Parcel Post. Pay here or go home." Why the guy didn't dumpster dive for a hunk of white envelope or paper, scribble my address again, pop the USPS label off, and slap the new label on...  Shrug Sure couldn't have cost $14 to do it. Even if he had to buy some tape and a pen.

You might think this is a joke or the Denver, CO guy was nasty. But... the guy who gave me the box this afternoon also took one look at the two words and nothing else - no-thing-else! - and he said "old school Priority label". There's no USPS or anything else, just those two words and the appropriate, hand written address.

Let this be a lesson to you, kiddies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal