Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: New to Forum and VFR750  (Read 3189 times)

nisxmo

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06 Honda 599, 90 Honda VFR750
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »

Good Afternoon ladies and gents!

I stumbled across this forum recently with some random google search for VFR750 images and havent been able to pull myself away from it since. Backstory on myself. I'm 28 years old. Purchased a brand new 2006 Honda 599 at the ripe age of 16 to which I have toured everywhere with and put 50k miles on. I have worked for multiple motorcycle dealerships and have ridden darn near everything under the sun. Dad rode a cruiser and now a new FJR, uncle has always had to own the latest and greatest exotics (started on an ST4, Multistrada, Streetfighter S, now a BMW R1200S). Long story short, I have wanted a sport touring bike since I first learned to ride. I kind of have an old soul and though I love true sportsbikes, there is nothing like a canyon carving adventure with the ability to pack all your camping gear and ride comfortably.

With that being said, for years I have wanted a VFR (kind of direhard Honda and I loved the middleweight option to which there are few). Reliability, support, and fan base are top notch. As well as it checks all the right boxes for me. I have never pulled the trigger because I have been torn. Every VFR rider has told me that you can not go wrong with any generation, pull the trigger and fall in love. Every true VFR fan has said the same but lean towards the 5th gen 800FI. Using the KISS mentality as well as keeping gear driven cams.  I have ridden every 800 possible and have love/hate emotions for each with their appearances. I wanted a 5th gen with beetle bags in very good shape with low miles for sub 4k. I see them all the time but never when I can pull the trigger.

Anyway fast forward to now. More recently a craigslist add was posted for a 750. It started around the $3,000 ball park and had been slowly lowered over the course of 6 months or so. Even at $3k you can purchase almost any gen you want at various levels of accessories and mileage. This bike however was within 3 hours drive and at the final price of $1800 something kept telling me that at minimum I had to go have a look and at best I wouldn't lose any money on it if the 750 didnt do it for me. (the advice that all generations are good generations and one wouldnt be unhappy with any of them kept playing in my head). Long story slightly longer: I told the guy the only way it was worth the trip was if I could get it at a price that would force me to step away from an FI 800. Offered $1500 and went to pick it up that day.

1990 VFR750
35k miles
two sets of givi bags
corbin seat with backrest (factory seat included)
waterproof garmin
fog lights
convertibars
HID lights
Upgraded fork internals (unconfirmed)
upgraded R/R
heated grips
rear cowl
new pirellis
Bagster cover with two attachable tank bags
steel braided lines,
Emissions removed
Aftermark exhaust

The works.

Negatives:
Mismatched body work though all in one piece with very minimal cracks
One fog light was out and was not replaceable (probably cheap chinese throw aways.......now thrown away)
heated grips had literally melted the grips (now also in the trash)
Corbin seat pattern was hideous (may sell as stock seat is quite comfy)
Convertibars did not have throttle extensions therefore held it open at times (selling these as I prefer stock bars anyway)
rear pirelli has slow leak, cant find source, will be replacing.
One HID ballast out, (replaced both)
Probably needed a carb clean (did one with all new seals which I may have done whether it needed it or not)
Locks busted on two bags (I believe can be replaced)
Anyway. Most of the desirable upgrades needed attention as well as partially the bike. Still, for $1500 (with exactly $500 into it now not including accessories I will be selling off the bike) I feel like its not a bad deal. Now just trying to clean her up and put some miles down.

Anyway here are some before pics, After I have started the cleaning process, as well as one of the current state of my hornet. Let me know what you guys think. If you are familiar with the 750 I would love to hear your opinions too! Should I sell all the accessories and get an 800, keep the bike with bags and ride the snot out of it for a few years, or sell as is and try to make a little coin? Right now I am very intrigued by the bike and want to throw a few good trips at it and see how she does.

Initial impressions..... Power is down from my 600 which is modified with some serious gearing. I have no other 750 to compare it too though and all it may need is lower gearing and possible the snorkel which is missing from the air box. Anyway Just wanted to introduce myself, get some opinions on the purchase and see what everyone thinks! Thanks for your time and ride safe!

FYI First pics were from the craigslist add so sorry they are bad Sad

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/IMG_0321.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/IMG_0316.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/IMG_0318.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/IMG_0320.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/IMG_0317.jpg

As she currently sits while I fix the minor issues and modify the bag brackets:

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/FullSizeRender.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/Bikes/FullSizeRender%201.jpg

My first Love:

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/NISxMO/20160728_082212.jpg
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1107

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:56 pm »

Welcome!  Love both of your bikes and the story.  Happy to see that you are part of a riding family.  What part of the country are you in?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:43:15 pm »

Nice ride.  Lose the samsonite luggage though. Lol  In the 70s I toured on my new SOHC CB 750-4 and had a ball.  

Ride em if ya got em...
Advertisement

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2442

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:58:53 am »

Yes, welcome. As Sport wrote, get rid of the plastic bags, like, yesterday!!! You've got it cleaned up nice. I'd take some trips around the area and see if you like it and it has no issues that the seller didn't disclose. If everything is solid, ride it.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15164

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 11:46:53 am »

oh, The 750 - honestly one of the best in the VFR family  Inlove   Yours looks great - and even better in the "after" photos  Smile

Like kyzrex said, where are you from (filling in your profile will keep this question from coming up Wink )  Will you try to match up the body panels or keep "the look" you have now? I had a Seattle-area painter paint my bike after a particularly nasty get-off and he did a fantastic job  Thumbsup

I had my '91 for years and even though I had stopped riding it (I had fallen in with the dual sport crowd   ), I just couldn't bear to part with it. But eventually I did, although it will always be missed.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
nisxmo

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 08:11:16 am »

Thanks for the comments everyone! I currently live in Savannah, GA. So far I very much enjoy the bike. Threw some decent miles on her yesterday with little to no issues other than the tune is not currently very good. Either that or my carb clean job did not get them as clean as I would like.

I remember when I had them apart I checked the jet sizes and I believe I had factory jets. When I put the bike back together I noticed the PO had deleted the snorkel with the emissions. My hope is that by replacing the snorkel it will smooth out the issues. (The snorkel on my 599 made a huge difference and took a lot of jetting and testing to get right once removed). We will see.

I also have noticed a sporadic idle on the bike. Even after being fully warmed up and ridden for an hour. At some traffic lights it wants to idle at 2k, others it drops below 1k almost to the point of stalling.  Not sure what would cause this, any ideas?

Anyway thanks for the input! As far as luggage is concerned, I haven't yet researched bag compatibility with the Wingman racks and dont currently have the money to replace them. For not the vintage look will have to remain Wink

oh, The 750 - honestly one of the best in the VFR family  Inlove   Yours looks great - and even better in the "after" photos  Smile

Like kyzrex said, where are you from (filling in your profile will keep this question from coming up Wink )  Will you try to match up the body panels or keep "the look" you have now? I had a Seattle-area painter paint my bike after a particularly nasty get-off and he did a fantastic job  Thumbsup

I had my '91 for years and even though I had stopped riding it (I had fallen in with the dual sport crowd   ), I just couldn't bear to part with it. But eventually I did, although it will always be missed.

beautiful bike! I would honestly like to get it back to one color however I don't HATE its current state. I have looked for local painters to no success so far as I would like to get both bikes painted one day.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 03:57:22 pm »

I also have noticed a sporadic idle on the bike. Even after being fully warmed up and ridden for an hour. At some traffic lights it wants to idle at 2k, others it drops below 1k almost to the point of stalling.  Not sure what would cause this, any ideas?

My '94 does the same thing. I think it's because it's a bit lean at idle with stock jetting, and the Yosh pipe. I don't worry about it too much because I don't spend much time at idle. It pulls fine above 5K which is where you should be spending most of your time.

You could try turning the IAM screws in a bit, and shimming the needles if you don't wanna spring for a jet kit.
nisxmo

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:31 am »

You could try turning the IAM screws in a bit, and shimming the needles if you don't wanna spring for a jet kit.

I wouldnt mind rejetting the carbs but everything I have read thus far as acted like these particular machines don't really show any benefit to jetting and exhaust/intake mods like most bikes. Hard to believe but "the factory settings are always best" crowd is pretty loud with this bike. We'll see. I got a snorkel on order to hopefully smooth out the rough patches higher up in the rpm's (I understand it leans the mixture but I have mild popping as well on decel).

Ill check the effects of the above then adjust FM screws for idle. Wish me luck!
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4508

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:42:44 am »

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck.

Ride safe.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
nisxmo

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:03:32 am »

Thanks Stripes!

Can anyone give me some insight on some sportier looking bags that will fit the Givi Wingracks. Google searches have left me very confused as I was under the assumption any monokey bags will fit these standardized racks, then again maybe not so standard as alot of them have specific model bikes listed?

Any other bags in production that may bolt to these racks?

More importantly doesnt anyone have any secondhand for sale?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal