Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
Print

Topic: Jay and Lisa's archived ride reports  (Read 33542 times)

jay547

Reputation 258

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3072

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »

I posted in the "what happened to the forum thread" that I would post up some of our old ride reports, so here it goes.

My ride reports are generally rides that my wife and I do. Many times, my daughter Kristin joined us, a few are my solo rides, and occasionally other riders have come along. Most are in Oklahoma, several in Arkansas, and a few in other states. These were all written for a private, members-only type forum because my wife was uncomfortable with making them public. Now, she says it's okay to post them.

My reports are primarily picture reports and light on the text. They are mostly dual-sport, country road type rides but we do a few longer rides on our street bikes too. I try to include a little of the history or background of the places we visit and occasionally an attempt at some self-deprecating humor. Sometimes, barbs are aimed at the previous audience so if there's an occasional "what?" just don't try to figure it out. We like old stuff: bridges, buildings, churches, schools, historical sites, etc.

I'll start with 2014, post a few at a time, and go from there.

March 30, 2014: Big Bottom Ride

We took a little ride along the levee of the Verdigris Navigational Channel.

And found this field of purple clover.

My daughter Kristin.

Lisa.

We stayed out.

Pecan Slough Bridge.

An old farmhouse.

Kristin says it's a murder house because of this mask/dummy head we found.

We got in about 70 miles, mostly on roads. Too many locked gates and closed roads. Sometimes we go in anyway. Lisa is afraid we'll get shot. Maybe...

April 20, 2014. Tallgrass Prairie ride.

Lisa, Kristin, and I went for an Easter Sunday ride in the Oklahoma Tallgrass Prairie Preserve.

Lots of beefalo around.

Long, flat, empty roads. We rode about sixty miles and saw maybe five cars.

We did some open-range riding and oil-lease roads and found this old railroad bridge.

Freshmen 63-64.

Then we headed to Pawhuska to see what we could find.

An old one-room school.

A monument dedicated to the first Boy Scout Troop which was located here.

Some dork on the oil field machinery.

We found this cool swinging bridge.

I was tempted to ride across it but I wasn't confident the 1x4's would hold up. Many were rotted and splitting. I must be getting old...

4-28-2014, Arkansas River Ride.

Lisa, my daughter Kristin, and I decided to do an early Sunday morning ride before the forecast rains came. We live about four miles from the Arkansas River so we decided to get in a quick ride on the riverbed.

We found an atv trail into the woods.

We followed a gas pipeline maintenance trail until we found access to the river.

We had to make this treacherous crossing.

Once across, the fun begins.

Oops. Cool shot, too bad it blurred.

This was Kristin's first ride in the sand.

Yes, you can bury a little 200.

We were able to ride about 1 1/2 miles of the riverbed. Of course, when we reached the far end, that's when the storm hit. We rode back to the bank in a rain and hail storm. The hail was marble sized but surprisingly didn't hurt. Just as we made it back, it ended. Since we were now soaked, we decided to head home. Little did we know, the adventure was just beginning...

On the way out, Lisa and I rode two-up and Kristin rode the 200. The gas line trail is mostly grass covered except where it dips through drains. We approached one that was about ten feet deep and probably thirty feet wide. Lisa and I went first. The top layer had turned into slick-as-snot mud and was hard packed underneath. We got to the bottom and the bike slid right out from under us. My knee planted but my body kept going. I practically did the splits on my left side. Damn that hurt. While Lisa and I were laying at the bottom, next to my bike covered in mud, Kristin was following and instead of stopping, decided to ride through. She got about ten feet from the top and slid out too. As I tried to right my bike - naturally it fell to the downhill side, Lisa and Kristin struggled to push her bike to the top. The mud was so slick, it was difficult to maintain footing, making it nearly impossible to push. I got my bike upright and rode the opposite direction through the now 12" deep waterhole, back to the other side. I got off and walked back to help them. Kristin held the bike up, while Lisa and I pushed. We ended up going to our knees just to keep from sliding back down. It probably took ten minutes to get the bike over the top. It was one of the most physically exhausting things I've ever done. I had to take about a ten minute break to recover. I honestly thought I might die.

After regaining some semblence of composure, I walked back to my bike to give it another try. I was dreading what would happen if I didn't make it. I approached at a decent pace and tried to ride up with momentum so I wouldn't lose traction. About halfway up, it started sliding sideways, I stuck my foot out, of course it was my left one, the side I had hurt earlier. Great pain shot through my hip but I held it up and made it over the top. We rode the rest of the way slowly and carefully.

We had to ride through the local sports complex which was filled with soccer and baseball players and their families who were waiting out the storm. They stared intently at the wet, muddy freaks riding through the parking lot.

We stopped at the car wash on the way home.

Lisa and Kristin both had bruises to their shins. My hip is still sore today. But we're all looking forward to the next ride.

That's all folks!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:04:29 pm by jay547 » Logged

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1828

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »

Beautiful ride report  Thumbsup

Thanks for sharing Thumbsup

You even got some mud on the bikes  Bigsmile

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
jay547

Reputation 258

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »

5/04/2014: Illinois River area ride.

We went camping and riding around the Illinois River in northeastern Oklahoma.

I pulled my old race trailer out of retirement for the weekend. It makes for a good camper.

We got there late so Lisa cooked while I set up camp.

Our traditional camp dinner of smoked sausage dogs and beans.

A nice little campfire to warm a cool night. 40's that night, 90's the next day. Typical Okie roller coaster weather.

Comb's Bridge over the Illinois River. (Edit: gone as of January, 2016. Replaced with a crappy, boring concrete bridge.)

We rode the gravel roads which generally parallel the river.

We came upon this low water crossing. No, we didn't risk it.

Did I mention it was in the 90's? A little shade helps a lot.

A small rural church.

We rode about 27 miles of the Transamerica Trail (Google it) on the way back. I practiced a few wheelies along the way.

We ended up riding about 105 miles of mostly gravel roads.
Fun stuff, can't wait for the next ride.

5/17/2014: Crawfish Festival and Spavinaw Wildlife Management Area.

Saturday, Lisa and I rode streetbikes to the annual Cajun Ed's Crawfish festival.

Waiting in the ticket line - that's me in shorts and cap, Lisa with the purse.

Crawfish, boiled shrimp, and grilled shrimp.

We were entertained by the Cajun Jass Band.
They were excellent.

A V-8 chopper showed up.

We had dessert at DQ.

After the cajun fest, we headed out to Spavinaw Lake for some camping and dual-sport riding.

We walked around the park and took pictures.

The troll in the tree looks alot like Lisa.

The dame and the dam.

These guys were camped next to us.

They said to go inside and have a look. So I did.

It wouldn't be the same without our traditional smoked sausage dogs and beans dinner.

And a breakfast of campside egg mcmuffins.

And some steaming hot coffee.

Steve (FlyingW), a guy I used to race with, came up to ride the Spavinaw Wildlife Management Area with us.

We rode about twenty-five miles of trails and never saw a soul. We didn't even cover half of it.

Steve likes wheelies.

Where's Waldo?

Center, top of hill.

It's against the rules to go off-road here. I'm not even sure if we were in there legally. We'll carry our access permits next time, just in case. Steve carries his .380, just in case.

After we got home, we decided to ride to the car wash to clean the bikes. I popped a little wheelie on our street to show off for the neighborhood kids. I got to the car wash and was walking to the change machine, when a cop came hauling into the parking lot. I thought, "Seriously, someone called me in for that?"

It wasn't me, a couple had run their car into the automatic machine and couldn't get it out. There were three cop cars, a fire truck, and an ambulance there by the time we left.

5/24/2014: Vintage Iron Motorcycle Museum, Miami, OK.

We went there three or four years ago, returned last weekend.

First, we stopped at Waylan's KuKu Burger. We go there everytime we are in Miami. In the 60's there were over 200 of these. This is the last one. It's a cool place filled with hot rod and Route 66 memorabilia.

And I presume yellow squash...

On to the museum.

Trigger Gumm's failed world record attempt bike is the first thing as you walk in.

And Cowboy Hall's jump bike.

Then the vintage bikes:

Of course, a Kaptain Kneivel bike.

Some cool Burt Munro pic's.

The last time we went, they had a cool Steve McQueen collection. They recently sold it at auction. I read that they got $144,000 for his Husky.

We rode Route 66 on the way home.

This is the Pryor Creek Bridge at Chelsea.

I grew up in Pryor, OK (official town name Pryor Creek.) We lived there when Kristin was born and she went through third grade there. She looked at the sign and asked, "Are we in Pryor?" Pryor is about thirty miles southeast of the bridge...

A portion of the original Route 66 was 9' wide concrete with asphalt filled center. In use from 1926-1937. This is one of the few remaining sections.

Back to dual-sporting this weekend - if the rain stops...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:17:05 pm by jay547 » Logged

Advertisement

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:03:52 pm »

Thanks for sharing

Best ride report I have seen here in a long time

And right in the heartland of the USA  Thumbsup

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:12:07 pm »

6/21/2014: Clayton Lake and Honobia Area Ride

We spent last weekend camping at Clayton Lake and riding the forest roads in the Honobia and Pushmataha Wildlife Management areas in southeastern Oklahoma.

Our first ride of the weekend was up Flagpole Mountain to the lookout tower.

Sardis Lake in the distance.

Umbrella Rock was next.

Then on to a memorial site where four British pilots died as three planes crashed while on a training run during WWII. The story is very interesting, here's a link to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT6_Monument

The stone on the right was turned up as a result of the impact creating a natural tombstone.

One of the last remaining original structures of the now ghost town of Kosoma, Oklahoma. First floor was a store, second floor was a hotel. Kosoma means "place of the stinking water" in Choctaw.

115 miles later, back to camp for our usual campside dinner.

It was too hot for a fire so we just kicked back. The thermometer on my bike read 102. The next day was much nicer, only 94.

Good morning.

Off to the forest for the day via state highway.

Last year, we participated in Passport OK, which was kind of a motorcycle photo tag game. Part of our fees went to purchase a historic plaque for this old school which was one of the photo sites.

Off the highway and into the forest roads.

We found this place in the middle of nowhere. We stopped for lunch. It was actually open and turned out to be pretty good. Many of the pine trees are permanently bent over because of the ice storms - hence the name.

We were the only ones there. Lisa ordered a quesadilla. She asked the waitress/cook/owner/janitor if they had guacamole or avocado. She sarcastically replied with, "Do you know where we are?"

Back to the mountains.

We were out in the middle of the forest and stopped for a water and shade break. After we finished, she got on her Honda and started cranking. Over the headset, I hear, "It won't start." She keeps cranking. I hear the battery begin to slow down. "Hold it wide open, it might be flooded." Didn't work. "No gas, try it again." No luck. "Okay, I'll push start you." It skids to a stop. "Try it again in third gear." Nothing. "Okay, you push me." No fire. I get off and push it back to the shade, dripping in sweat, cussing, and wondering how long it will take to get back with the truck. As I put the kickstand down, I notice the kill switch is off...

I finished out the day with a few wheelies before heading back.

We hope to return to this area soon. We literally have hundreds of miles of trails and roads left to explore.

6/29/2014. We rode part of Route 66 in Oklahoma.

We rode to Arcadia, OK to a place called Pop's, where their attraction is hundreds of different kinds of soda. My daughter rode two-up with me and Lisa rode her Ninja.

Me and Kristin:

We then visited OK County 66. A guy retired, bought some property along 66, then began building recreations of Route 66 landmarks and a Route 66 museum.

I actually worked at a gas station while in college.

Filmore.

Inside the museum.

Kristin sitting in the VW that hangs out of the side of the building.

Signs on the wall.

We headed east to Seaba Station Motorcycle Museum in Warwick, OK.

They had a couple cool Itali-harleys. Complete with oil leaks.

Hannah and the Fonz.

I had to use the bathroom before leaving.

We passed this roadside attraction on the way home. I wonder what an alien would think of Kristin in her gear? "Damn, this human has a huge head!"

We're headed for Arkansas this weekend...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:03:32 pm by jay547 » Logged

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:24 pm »

Thanks for sharing!!

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:48 pm »

You are welcome. This is the way we ride. No exotic locations, no round the world trips, just our backyard. I call it "po' boy touring" or when she goes along, "po' folk touring."  Embarassment
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:16:42 pm by jay547 » Logged

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 07:01:49 am »

You are welcome. This is the way we ride. No exotic locations, no round the world trips, just our backyard. I call it "po' boy touring" or when she goes along, "po' folk touring."  Embarassment

I love it !!   It's amazing the things you can find relatively close to home.

I didn't realize crawfish could be almost Lobster size  Thumbsup

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:44:47 pm »

I'm quitting my job, selling everything and moving to Oklahoma (The 405) and I will be dual sporting on a DR 650 Suzuki.  

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 02:04:47 pm »

We're in the 918.

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:15:44 pm »

I like it

Thumbsup

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 07:48:00 pm »

7/04/2014. Arkansas street ride. Food, fireworks, and fun.

Lisa and I spent the holiday weekend riding in Arkansas.

We stopped at this 1940 WPA building in Evansville for a map check.

We took the back roads through Devil's Den State Park. They have off-road trails here so we're coming back someday with our dual-sport bikes.

No shortage of fun roads here.

Lots of switchbacks.

The old mountain railroad town of Winslow.

The railroad tunnel.

My streetbike wasn't suitable for getting to the tunnel. When we bring our dual-sports, that tunnel is getting ridden.

On to Alma for dinner at the Catfish Hole, followed by fireworks at Mountainberg.

This is how they watch fireworks there. When in Rome...

Lisa's favorite.

193 miles of riding for the day.

Saturday, we headed east.

We stopped at Granny's Kitchen in Huntsville for lunch. It was us and about 40 Harley riders who dressed and looked nearly identical. We hurried in before one big group so we wouldn't have to wait so long.

It was average at best but I guess that's good enough.

We later stopped at this cool rest stop built under a rock overhang.

The motorcycle tree near Jasper.

We finished out Saturday by riding up to Harrison, where we would spend the night.

We rode around the small town of Harrison for about an hour looking for the cheap motel we stayed at several years ago. We never found it and ended up at a Super 8.

Saturday's total mileage, 218.

Sunday, we headed for the mountain town of Eureka Springs. A cool little tourist town noted for it's arts and crafts and excellent motorcycle riding routes.

We passed this cool, old building pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Oops, we missed our turn.

A covered bridge on a private drive. You don't see many of these around here.

We got to Eureka just in time for lunch. Our favorite place was full and had many waiting so we went to a place we like outside of town by the lake.

My first-ever jalapeno burger. It was very good and very filling.

We headed back to town for ice cream and shopping.

We got presents for all the kids but they have to wait until Christmas.

A couple of the shops have "working bunnies." They are trained to hand you the pen, receipt, etc.

We hung out with these guys for awhile before heading back. I considered donating my bike to their cause but I didn't feel like walking back to Oklahoma.

Sunday's total: 246 miles and back to hot, windy Oklahoma.

657 miles for the trip. My front tire is scary-bad worn. I ordered a new one yesterday.

This weekend back to dual-sporting, maybe?

7/19/2014: Illinois River and Pumpkin Flats

Saturday, we did about 100 miles of dual-sport, gravel road riding around the hills east of the Illinois River in northeastern Oklahoma. The weather was perfect for a ride - high of 80, about 14 degrees below normal.

We crossed the river into the Pumpkin Flats area of the Nickle Nature Conservatory.

Where it is illegal to drive off road.

Lisa liked the purple flowers.

I liked the weird burned out tree.

Pumpkin Flats led to Pumpkin Holler, where there were not any "Illegal to Ride Off Road" signs.

Some creepy looking dude was there.

And some alien-looking female.

We went about five miles down the holler (that's Arkansawyer for hollow), crossed the creek and went back up the other side to the railroad ghost town of Proctor.

Lisa inspecting the cows at a dairy in the Barron Fork bottoms.

It's unusual for it to be this green at this time of year. Normally, everything is a crispy brown.

We crossed the Barron Fork Creek following Scraper Hollow back up to the ridge road along the creek.

We saw several cows out in the road. I pulled the camera from my pocket and took this pic while still riding.

After leaving the woods, we rode across a long, rolling prairie complete with abandoned stone barn.

The road was just about the perfect slope for doing wheelies.

We stopped at Pizza Port on Lake Ft. Gibson on the way home. Yes, we trailered.

We like this neon sign at a motel by the lake. We decided to get a pic before the pc police do away with it.

We ended the evening enjoying the fire pit on our patio.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:05:22 pm by jay547 » Logged

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »

I love it  

You guys are enjoying every minute of your trips !    Wheelies, ice cream, offroad !  A bit of everything that motorcycling has to offer!

Any burn outs involved?   Lol

A ride report that even talks about trailers  Thumbsup

You have a nice family  Thumbsup

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 09:28:13 pm »

Any burn outs involved?   Lol

Got one coming up later.  Smile

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 09:55:14 pm »

Got one coming up later.  Smile

Sweet

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »

7/26/2014: Catoosa and Boggy Creek.

My sister was in town from Florida so we took my niece and nephew's kids on their first motorcycle ride. We took them for about a thirty minute ride around town, short-cutting through some parks, across pedestrian bridges, jumping curbs, etc. You know, the fun stuff.

My sister texted me later saying the girl "wants to do it everyday" and the boys now want motorcycles.

We dropped the kids off and went on with our ride.

We passed through Catoosa, a small town on Route 66.

Where the terminus of the Verdigris River Navigational Channel is to see if we could find some trails along the banks. Instead, we just found a bunch of locked gates. We crossed a railroad and took advantage of some photo op's.

My seventeen year-old daughter, Kristin.

We couldn't find any access along the river. The fishing road under the I-44 bridge is the best it got.

It was looking like it was going to be a waste of a ride so we decided to ride an old abandoned, closed road nearby (Keetonville Road for you locals.) The road was closed several years ago when it began falling into the river. Instead of making repairs, the county cheaped out and just gated it off. Being on bikes, we were able to ride around the barricades and gates.

The 1910 bridge over Boggy Creek.

After we went beyond the bridge, the road had been gated to the guardrails on each side so we had to turn around. As we headed back, I noticed a faint trail off the side of the road into the woods. It was calling my name. Jackpot! The trails went on for a couple miles leading out to some deer feeders and a maintenance road for a gas compressor station. We rode those for about an hour.

By then, it was time for a late lunch. Lisa is a bona fide Taco Bell addict...

After lunch, we rode around Bird Creek trying to find more trails. We mostly just found more locked gates.

We rode down an abandoned road that looked to be probably fifty years old or more. It was overgrown, filled with dumped trash, and a little difficult to ride. We rode for probably a half mile, then came to a parked, semi trailer blocking the way. I decided to try to ride around it and see if there was a way out. I made it through the dense brush, around a gate, and back to the modern road. It was only about another couple hundred feet. I told them to come on through (we have radios) and I went further up the road (and out of radio range) to find some shade. I waited and waited. After five minutes or so, I figured they just turned around so it would be awhile before they got there. After another five minutes, I became concerned. I called my daughter on her cell. I asked what were they doing. She said they were still sitting there. I asked why and I heard Lisa say they were waiting on me to tell them it was okay. Jeez. They made it through with no problems.

I remembered that there was a waterline maintenance road up ahead so we went there to see if it was rideable. It was and we rode down it for a couple miles. There was a small water crossing which Lisa was thrilled with so she rode through it several times.

I wanted them to get a chance to ride a motorcycle through a tunnel. This is under a railroad just off Route 66.

We stopped at a Route 66 roadside park for a water break before heading home.

Lisa wanted to check out the local FFA barn and look at the pigs.

This Hawg obviously doesn't like Hondas.

Maybe back to the forest roads this weekend?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:06:17 pm by jay547 » Logged

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:08 pm »

8/02/2014: Devils' Den, Arkansas.

Lisa and I spent the weekend at Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas. We planned to try out the trails in the Buckhorn OHV area. We decided to ride the gravel roads in the area on Sunday, then attempt the trails on Monday.

We rode on Arkansas State Highway 220 to the trail area. Yes, this one-lane gravel road is a state highway.

Some nice scenery along the way.

We turned off on Old Cove City Road and followed it around the perimeter of the OHV area.

I told her to pose.

She took several flower pic's.

We reached the limits of the riding area, then back tracked to Pannell Road. It wasn't much of a road.

We stopped to check the map and get a drink. Lisa kept the water bottles in her top case...

We came to a road that looked like a short-cut back to camp. We headed that way until we came to Lee Creek, which appeared on the map to be a low water crossing. We were met with a small lake. A couple of guys were there fishing so I asked them how deep it was. They said waist high to which I replied that we weren't crossing then. I asked if there was a back road way to Natural Dam (the nearest town with a highway back to camp.) He gave me directions that would have me crossing the creek anyway. I guess he didn't understand the part about not crossing it. I went the opposite way and found a country-road route to the town. We stopped for a short break and map consultation when Lisa realized that some dork had not closed the lid on his water bottle. Her stuff was soaked.

We rode the highway back to the campground and ended the day's ride. The view from our campsite at dusk.

We got started the next morning about 9:00, running around the park (needed more ice) getting ready to tackle the trails.

We headed back down Highway 220 (crappy gravel road) toward the trails.

We stopped to look at a historic site. We were sitting on the bikes talking about it when I noticed something up ahead. About twenty feet in front of us was a deer. Apparently, he was there the whole time and we never were aware of it. Lisa snapped this shot just as he was running away.

We rode about six miles to the southeastern most trailhead. It looked to be the shortest trail in the system so we thought we would try it first to see how we would do.

The trailhead was at the crossing of a creek. Lisa decided to try her hand at it. The loose rock made it difficult with the skinny tires.

She was a real trouper and wanted to try it again. I suggested that we just continue on with the trail.

We rode a few hundred feet then came to the first climb. I told her to wait at the bottom while I checked it out. I went about halfway up then said, "screw this." It was a little too much for the street legal pig and it's incompetent rider. I turned around.

We decided to try a different trail and followed the creek instead.

We walked around taking some pic's of the creek.

When we started riding again, I noticed I had a flat rear tire. We decided to end the ride. I left Lisa there with my bike and rode hers back to get the truck and trailer.

She was a little scared but was prepared to act with two knives and some pepper spray. The only threat was this little guy.

I'm looking forward to going back and trying again. I've picked out some trails on Google Earth that should be a little more suited to our abilities.

Bigfoot did this.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:10:56 pm by jay547 » Logged

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 09:22:03 pm »

Thanks for posting more  Thumbsup

Your part of the country has a lot to offer  Thumbsup

Very good ride reports !!!

jay547

Reputation 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 11:20:32 pm »

8/09/2014: Jay cruise night and Saline Creek area ride.

Saturday was the annual cruise night in Jay, Oklahoma. We intended to do a dual-sport ride in the afternoon, then head to Jay in the evening. A sudden but quick rainshower came through Saturday and changed our plans. Since we were now a couple hours behind, we decided to ride our streetbikes to Jay and do the dual-sport ride on Sunday.

Jay is about seventy-five miles away so we took the scenic, twisty route. Lisa rode her Ninja 650 and Kristin and I rode two up on my 750. We stopped at Lake Eucha dam.

Looked at a "bike for sale."

We arrived at Jay and the burn outs had already begun.

We cruised a lap then picked a spot to watch the cars.

Now this is Okie!

I'm not naming names but some dork left his GPS plugged in and his battery went dead. Lisa and Kristin got to push start his bike. Luckily, it was dark by then and reduced the embarrassment.

This was a fun event. Jay has a population of about 1500. It probably triples on this day. There were literally hundreds of cars there.

Next year, we're coming back on the dual-sports. I'm gonna be doing wheelies up and down the road all night - or at least until I get arrested.

Sunday, we trailered over to Salina, Oklahoma to ride around the Saline Creek valley.

We left the truck in the town park and headed east.

Kristin wanted to check out these sunflowers because she plants some every spring. She's never had these kind of results. For reference, she is about 5'-2".

We soon found a low water crossing. Lisa likes 'em.

We followed the gravel roads along Saline Creek.

Then a short stretch of paved road.

Back to the good stuff.

Then another low water crossing.

Back up into the hills.

Into the pines.

Practiced a few wheelies.

We found this cool trail through the forest.

The trail ended at a locked gate so we had to turnaround.

It was late afternoon so we called it a day and headed back to the truck via highway. After a few miles, I noticed my bike feeling loose. It kept getting worse to the point that I was afraid I might go off the road. I pulled over and checked - I had a flat rear tire. Luckily, we were only about two miles from the truck so Lisa went back to get it.

We loaded up and drove home.

I pulled the tire off yesterday and it had some sort of nail or staple in it. That's my second flat in two weeks.

Some of my Harbor Freight stuff being put to good use.

The culprit.

A toast to those who ride...

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 06:19:57 am »

I hate flat tires

More great pics  Thumbsup

Thanks again for posting  Thumbsup

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal