Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Clermont Ferrand Circuit  (Read 1308 times)

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« on: April 04, 2017, 09:23:05 am »

It makes sense that, in a region of France known for its fantastic motorcycling roads, there would be a fantastic Grand Prix track featuring public roads  Smile

Officially known as the Charade Circuit, the track was laid out on pre-existing roads around the base of an extinct volcano. The track was featured in the 1966 film Grand Prix and, was famous for its sinuous nature with hardly a discernable straight that led some F1 drivers to complain of motion sickness as they were jostled about as they negotiated the sharp, undulating curves. Despite all the curves, it was also relatively fast with Chris Amon setting the absolute lap record of 104 mph. It is said that the tracks extremely technical nature quickly separated the men from the boys  Smile

Here is a web site with a brief history as well as lots of great photos showing the undulating nature of the track  Bigok

The Volcanic Rush Of Clermont-Ferrand

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:16 am »

Grand Prix used F3 cars as stand ins for F1s.

While not as "Hollywood" of a movie, my preference is Le Mans. It may have cost McQueen friendships, business partners, his marriage and a chunk of his reputation to make, but his obsession to make a racing movie for race drivers holds up extremely well.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »

Now serves as Michelin's test track.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Advertisement

bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:48:12 pm »

Grand Prix used F3 cars as stand ins for F1s.

While not as "Hollywood" of a movie, my preference is Le Mans. It may have cost McQueen friendships, business partners, his marriage and a chunk of his reputation to make, but his obsession to make a racing movie for race drivers holds up extremely well.

I agree to a point. The barely disguised F3 cars aside. The on track cinematography, Frankenheimer visuals ... made this film. I saw it widescreen. With my Dad ! Intermission, so I could change my undies ( I was 9 )

But I recognize this circuit in the film when Garner, had the indignity of being a sportscaster. If you look at one scene, most of the current F1 drivers, of the time, were there.

But you are off topic!. This is about F1, scary, beautiful tracks from the days when F1 may well have  likely rivalled the thrill of Moto. As opposed to the super fit , strangely unappealing, systems analysts of today.

But yes, LE Mans is a " better racing film ". Though it suffered badly with the off track intrigue.  Do love it still.

Vive LE Clermont Ferrand !
Thanks Orson
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:27 am »

Those old F1 cars sound waaaay better than the current technowizardcars they're running today.

Ride em if ya got em...
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »

Great read. Thanks for posting that link Orson. And since we're talking about the movie Grand Prix and the French, I feel compelled to include these two words: Francoise Hardy.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal