Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Believable air gauge?  (Read 8448 times)

Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 01:25:01 pm »

Batteries? In the gauge? Are we talking about the round gauge with a needle and a vent on the hose? Batteries?  Headscratch

All digital tire pressure gauges have batteries, the little button kind. Something has to power the digital display of the psi. Mine is kind of like this one, http://www.accutiregauge.com/talking-tire-gauge/accutire-ms-4445-b/, except they don't make my exact model anymore.

However, I think I just destroyed my formerly trusty gauge. When I went to install the new batteries I realized the gauge didn't indicate which side was positive, and I'd already removed the old batteries. So I guessed, and the gauge did not work. So I reversed the batteries, and tried again, and now it is way, way off. It tells me that my bike and my car tires are at 90 psi when I know neither of them are anywhere close to that. I assume that installing the batteries backwards did that, so I guess I'll be buying a new tire gauge today.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

PatM

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »

The issue I have with all tire gauges is every time you check your bike's tires, the pressure goes down.
Getting an accurate pressure in the tire is a guesstimate action. Over inflate a bit and check and hope you have the right pressure.
So, if you're off by a few pounds with an inaccurate gauge, does it really matter?

Ride safe!
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 09:22:11 am »

That's why I like those accugage dials. Over inflate, chuck up, push the button to release air to target psi.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Advertisement

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:49 am »

AoA to tire stems can be frustrating. Bicycle pumps have the right idea, with a way to clamp the hose to the stem. If only someone did the same thing for a gauge and hose. Gee, maybe I should be on Shark Tank or whatever.  Bigsmile

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 09:22:39 am »

AoA to tire stems can be frustrating. Bicycle pumps have the right idea, with a way to clamp the hose to the stem. If only someone did the same thing for a gauge and hose. Gee, maybe I should be on Shark Tank or whatever.  Bigsmile

I'd never buy one. The gauge is a quick check and either add air or move on. It would hamper the task if a latch was needed.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 10:43:46 pm »

Not needed, but helpful sometimes. Think optional extra.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal