Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: SPOT 3 experiences ?  (Read 667 times)

David Morrow

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2003 FJR + 2016 FJR ES
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 667

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:52:02 pm »

I have used a Spot 1 for 8 years now and, while it works great, there can be issues when the road is closed in too much by hills. I understand that later models overcome this a bit although I realize that line of site is what matters.

Would any Spot 3 users like to chime in on your experiences. I'd be especially interested if you have had a Spot 1 and now user the Spot 3 and what differences you have noticed.

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Daboo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW F800GT
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:02:12 pm »

I can't tell you about a SPOT 3, but I have an inReach SE.  You might want to consider one instead.

I don't know whether any of this has changed, but there were some advantages to the inReach SE that I saw:
  • Wider range of coverage.  The inReach uses a different satellite system that is global.
  • Two way communication.  You can receive texts as well as send them.  If you're arranging for a tow truck in the middle of a desert, it might be handy to know your call for help was received.
  • Too many reports on forums of how the SPOT wasn't reliable in sending out distress calls.
  • Cheaper in the long run.  inReach allows you to cut your service plan in the months (think winter) when you aren't riding.
  • Earthmate app.  This syncs up with your inReach and shows your route on topographical maps...and on a large smartphone screen.  We used it in hiking some trails in Idaho and could see the route we'd taken and what was ahead.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894   John 14:6
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4850

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:06:26 am »

I can't tell you about a SPOT 3, but I have an inReach SE.  You might want to consider one instead.

I don't know whether any of this has changed, but there were some advantages to the inReach SE that I saw:
  • Wider range of coverage.  The inReach uses a different satellite system that is global.
  • Two way communication.  You can receive texts as well as send them.  If you're arranging for a tow truck in the middle of a desert, it might be handy to know your call for help was received.
  • Too many reports on forums of how the SPOT wasn't reliable in sending out distress calls.
  • Cheaper in the long run.  inReach allows you to cut your service plan in the months (think winter) when you aren't riding.
  • Earthmate app.  This syncs up with your inReach and shows your route on topographical maps...and on a large smartphone screen.  We used it in hiking some trails in Idaho and could see the route we'd taken and what was ahead.

Chris

ditto

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal