Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: BMW Navigator V - Converting Tracks to Routes - always recalculates  (Read 588 times)

RockyMtnWay

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR 1300
GPS: Santa Barbara (Previously Victoria BC)
Miles Typed: 190

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:10:46 am »

Anyone using the Navigator V?

I imported some GPX's.  And then used the Convert feature on the Navigator to convert the track to a route.  Everything looks splendid, shows up exactly as it should when I show on map but then - click go and it starts recalculating and doesn't follow the route in the slightest.

Anyone else run into this?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:56:55 am »

Presuming it's a Garmin unit....

I'm having similar issues with the Zumo 660.

Garmin's map databases are using a new protocol.  This forces me to use BaseCamp rather than MapSource.  It's a pain because MapSource does a better job helping me locate POIs for route plotting, but have to copy them into BaseCamp to make the route (new protocol causes MapSource to lock up and crash when generating routes).  I then copy the routes back into MapSource to upload to the GPS.  I should have known something was amiss when the Zumo said it had to recalculate routes as the program and the GPS have the same map data loaded into memory.

On my last trip, I got some messed up stuff where it kept trying to route me to a programmed waypoint that was supposed to be on the road, but the map showed it being about 100 yards off the road...unreachable.  I think this is because BaseCamp is used for all Garman applications (hiking, biking, driving, boating, etc.) and plots to specific GPS coordinates and not that which correlates to the road on the map.

In the future, I'm going to plot waypoints at road intersections rather than just drop a pin on the road and hope it solves the problem.

In short, if your converted route has GPS coordinates that don't fall exactly on the road, it doesn't know how to route to them and does the best it can compared to what you know you intended.

Migs

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2013 DL650 V Strom
GPS: Northampton UK
Miles Typed: 63

My Photo Gallery

Formerly Arbitrator

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:24:51 am »

I believe you need to disable auto-recalculation.
Advertisement

PatM

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 989

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:43:13 pm »

Just for the heck of it, I tried importing a trace from wayback, (2012) created with an old zumo 550, into my Nav V (it is a Garmin).
It works fine for me. My Nav V is at 2018.20.

In the past, I've found that if I had selected "Curvy roads" option, I get strange results when I import routes that don't have that option.

zero, I understand your pain. Basecamp is a PIA but Mapsource is very old. Expect issues and incompatibilities.
And I don't know if your explanation is correct or not but I have seen the issue you talk about with different GPS that have slightly different map bases. This has been happening ever since I started using mapping software and GPS. Create a route with one version, import to another causes lots af recalculations.

Ride safe!
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 04:33:45 pm »

zero, I understand your pain. Basecamp is a PIA but Mapsource is very old. Expect issues and incompatibilities.
And I don't know if your explanation is correct or not but I have seen the issue you talk about with different GPS that have slightly different map bases. This has been happening ever since I started using mapping software and GPS. Create a route with one version, import to another causes lots af recalculations.

Well, I only have the 660, and the map database I use for trip routing is the same one in the GPS.  I think I said my issue was with route waypoints I planted manually.  Not all roads on the map line up with reality.  Since Basecamp works with GPS units intended for hiking off road, I suspect it doesn't auto correct to put your drop point on the road...it uses the actual coordinates as specified.  This causes an issue in a car GPS unit that has to keep you on the known roads.

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:44:53 am »

Back from a week in the Alps, I'm close to throwing the 660 out. Too many times it couldn't tell left from right, was hard to read in some tight situations (wound going the wrong way on a one-way street in Cortina d'Ampezzo), and generally tried to screw me over. NTL, with auto-compute off, the only time it recomputed any of the routes I loaded was when I expressly said "yes". OTOH, the damn thing kept whining about wanting to recompute - covering the map.  Mad2

One of the recurring WTF moments was approaching a hairpin turn on a pass road. A little footpath with a name would trigger a "keep right on Megazilla Pass road". And then totally miss a major intersection requiring a turn.  Nuts Mad2

The 660 was installed in a K1600GT (drops in where a Nav V goes but doesn't respond to the "wonder wheel" - meh).

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal