Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Darksiding. Crazy or brilliant?  (Read 2858 times)

Reputation 5

Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2017, 03:59:32 pm »

Darksiding. The practice of putting a car tire on the rear wheel of a motorcycle. Apparently it is not actually illegal (which is kind of weird in our fear crazed society) probably because no one thought anyone would do it.

Are the brave souls who have take the step to put CT (Car Tire) on their bike crazy or brilliant?
Pluses: Cheaper, lasts longer.
Minuses: Changes handling.

There have been no news of a car tire on a bike spontaneously combust, blowing the rider out of the atmosphere. On a heavy bike loaded with luggage it supposedly lowers the temperature, reducing the odds of failure.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

SLK50

Reputation 43

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1263

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:23:40 pm »

On my commuter bike, mileage is the only criteria.
Earlier today I was looking at an Austone 175/R16.
Turns out I can pick one up ( almost ) locally. Hmm...
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5107

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:26:37 pm »

Crazy for a sport-touring bike that is going to be ridden sport-tourish.

There are hoards of MC riders that don't really think of handling...  I pity their loss.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Advertisement

squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:17 pm »

Some of my best friends do that. But I wouldn't let one marry my daughter.

Seriously, it can work. And I do know a few who can scoot a big bike around corners pretty well on those things.

I'd never do it, though. A lot of damn fine engineering goes into making bike tires work well on bikes and car tires work well on cars. I'll trust their judgment.

I mean, I could also save a lot of money by using some old twine to hold up my pants, wrapping t-shirts around my feet, and wearing an old pair of underwear on my head. Instead, I'm wearing a leather belt, some Converse shoes, and I just ordered a new hat. Those are things I do just so I don't look funny. There's more at stake on my bike -- both in terms of personal enjoyment and personal safety.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:59 am »

Bikes and tires are pretty forgiving, and a lot of dark siders are very happy with their bikes and tires. I say don't knock it til you try it. I probably will one of these days.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
slvrsprint

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 372

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:42:07 pm »

I followed a dark side Trophy through curves.  Watching that tire roll up onto its corner made me more nervous than it did to the guy riding it.  EEK!  Not for me, thanks.  I don't care what anyone else does.

IBA #8027
jay547

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2938

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:31:02 pm »

I vote "crazy."

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1632

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 08:42:25 pm »

I like big tires on motorcycles

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racemaster-Motorcycle-Drag-Slicks#.WV7YubEpCf0

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:58:25 am »

I know a guy with a Goldwing who did it.  Hardly noticed any ride quality issues to complain about.

CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9031

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 01:57:29 pm »

It seems it's safe, but as mentioned I'm sure it affects handling.  Different strokes and all.   Shrug

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
knobnose
Geezer

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '10
Motorcycles: Buell S1, BMW S1000R
GPS: Hawaii
Miles Typed: 203

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 09:41:04 pm »

My 2 cents are as follows.

99% of my riding is within 10% of the bikes limits, 0.99% of my riding is over 10% of the bike limits. 0.01% is when I get to meet the cute nurses. With enough sedatives they are all cute Smile. I don't think a single one of those who write to say it is unsafe to put car tire on a bike will wear out a set of knee sliders in a week, or a month, or even a year while touring. I don't think a single one will replace a rear tire because it is completely worn on the edges while the center still has the knobs on. Those riders will not, contrary to what they believe, miss much of the handling benefits of a motorcycle tire.

Usually the car tire will be squarer than the motorcycle tire so the bike will "raise the effective rear ride height" when cornering. This will change the handling of the bike but not necessarily in a bad way. When I started riding motorcycle the rear tires were almost half the width of what they are now, so they have been going into this direction for a long time. Some motorcycle tires have rather square center while many car tires are pretty rounded. If you go for rounder and/or narrower car tire the difference will be less.

Most car tires on motorcycles are on big bikes with heavy loads, low ground clearance and small lean angles. Those will not handle like race bikes anyway so why not go for relatively safe, inexpensive and high mileage tire.

Those who can buy 15.000-20.000 dollar bike would most likely not care to go for a car tire, but for those who are on the low end of the market and battling to keep cheap old bikes running while paying mortgage, alimony and student loans it is an attractive option.

Would I put a car tire on my bike? It depends. If I was going on a long trip with heavy load I think I would. For regular riding on light bike I would not, unless the price was very attractive.  Cool

Is 100% of your riding on the track?
Daboo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW F800GT
Miles Typed: 50

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 09:22:22 pm »

I've got a friend who has been dark-siding for years and many many thousands of miles.  If I did a lot of straight line riding, I'd seriously consider it.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894   John 14:6
FirstVtwin
I pick things up and put them down.

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: none :-(
GPS: Nevada, IA
Miles Typed: 809

My Photo Gallery

Mechanical Engineer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »

My dad has been doing it for years on his cruisers.  He can still drag peg (with the limited lean angle) and gets many many thousands more miles out of a tire.  He loves it.

Smile...it increases your face value
Doug Just Doug
Gabba Gabba Huh?

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
GPS: Newark, Delaware
Miles Typed: 1005

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 02:39:33 pm »

The answer is "Both."  They're Brilliant unless/until they crash, then they're Crazy.  
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5107

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »

The answer is "Both."  They're Brilliant unless/until they crash, then they're Crazy.  

Schrödinger's tire?

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Doug Just Doug
Gabba Gabba Huh?

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
GPS: Newark, Delaware
Miles Typed: 1005

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 11:00:01 am »

Schrödinger's tire?

Lol Lol Lol
David Morrow

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2003 FJR + 2016 FJR ES
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 666

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 12:23:14 pm »

I wonder what an insurance company would say when the adjuster inspects your written off bike. And if your passenger is injured or killed, how will his / her lawyer view the use of a car tire on a bike ? I would not want to be the defendant in that case. Combining the two, you get your ass sued off and your insurance may be void. There goes your house, retirement savings and whatever else you may have worked for. For what... a couple hundred bucks ? Sure, :I'll never get into an accident"; famous last words.

I put on a lot of miles and wear out at least one pair of tires each year, but I'll take the word and training of the engineers who design bikes and tires over anecdotal evidence of riders.

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 07:09:40 pm »

I put on a lot of miles and wear out at least one pair of tires each year, but I'll take the word and training of the engineers who design bikes and tires over anecdotal evidence of riders.

You mean like the BMW engineers who can't keep the front end or back end on a GS? Plenty of engineers are clueless, and some don't ride or drive!
 Car tires are tougher than bike tires. Chopper guys have been running car profile tires (and car tires) for decades. Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean it won't work!
 Do any of you naysayers understand how tiny the actual contact patch of a motorcycle tire is?! Most of us aren't on a racetrack every day, and y'all can claim what you want, but the majority of us are packing around some jumbo sized chicken strips...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9031

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:01:38 pm »

Once more- I have yet to hear of a guy that crashed beacuse he had a car tire on.  Alot of the griping coms from people who have never tried it.   Shrug

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »

YMMV, but it works well for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal