Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: The XT's Day Out  (Read 5669 times)

BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:27:36 pm »

BlueRidgeGal and I headed out to the Wildlife Management Area new Saltville Virginia which was about a 150 loop for us. The hunter access roads were closed this time of year so we didnt get to ride some of the better areas in the WMA but it was still a good trip for the little XT's. We seen more wildlife on the way to the WMA than in the WMA itself.  Lol

My XT poses near a small water runoff

BlueRidgeGal's XT resting near the lake at the WMA

BlueRidgeGal making a splash.

Taking a water break and keeping a eye out for hungry bears.

XT at one of the waterfalls in the trout fishing area.

BlueRidgeGal stopped at this building on the way home. Sorry honey, but I dont think so..........
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:30:09 pm by BlueRidgeKat » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »

Very nice to see others on here enjoy the XT's off-roading  Thumbsup

Which brush guards are those? They look sharp.

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:02:33 pm »

Very nice to see others on here enjoy the XT's off-roading  Thumbsup

+1 Clap Beerchug

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Advertisement

BlueRidgeKat

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:00:21 pm »

Which brush guards are those? They look sharp.

Powermadd. They come in about 12 different colors.
http://www.pwccost.com/shopping/powermadd/handguards.htm
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:36:47 am »

Powermadd. They come in about 12 different colors.
http://www.pwccost.com/shopping/powermadd/handguards.htm

If you are going to get into serious off-roading I reccomend these: http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/1325.html

20years of woods riding, a few Enduros and Hare scrambles and only one broken hand!! They are very tough and I think they help keep the bars from bending too??

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
BlueRidgeKat

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 12:57:52 pm »

If you are going to get into serious off-roading I reccomend these: http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/1325.html

I agree with you totally, but we are not going to get very serious.   Lol

The PowerMadd's help with wind, rain and maybe rocks being thrown up by the bike in front of you and they look pretty good, but no, they do not appear to be one of the best out there. BlueRidgeGal did opt for the complete wrap around bar that they offer extra with the PowerMadd's. I just have the flemsy plastic deflectors sticking out there.
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 01:10:45 pm »

Once you try some nice single track you will be hooked!!!

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
R.Markus

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:44:01 pm »

20years of woods riding, a few Enduros and Hare scrambles and only one broken hand!! They are very tough and I think they help keep the bars from bending too??

They also bend back pretty easily after you smash them...although it takes a while to get the shape correct again.  Lol
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 10:07:05 am »

They also bend back pretty easily after you smash them...although it takes a while to get the shape correct again.  Lol

LOL...Very true!!!

VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 11:43:51 am »

I think mine are pretty tough, they are made by MSR but they look huge on that little bike  Lol

They have been crash tested and passed Thumbsup  

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/vivid_one/big%20rides/Kentucky%20May%2007/52707_TN_Cumberland_Gap8x.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/vivid_one/big%20rides/Toledo%20Bend/Toledo_Band_Anna_mud.jpg

black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 12:15:50 pm »

I think mine are pretty tough, they are made by MSR but they look huge on that little bike  Lol

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/vivid_one/big%20rides/Kentucky%20May%2007/52707_TN_Cumberland_Gap8x.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/vivid_one/big%20rides/Toledo%20Bend/Toledo_Band_Anna_mud.jpg

The poor little thing looks so pathetic laying on the side of the road Sad.  Remember, when in doubt gas it!

VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 03:56:34 pm »

The poor little thing looks so pathetic laying on the side of the road Sad.  Remember, when in doubt gas it!

Yes it does, and I looked pretty pathetic laying next to it. The bike was having trouble climbing this steep mountain in 2nd gear and all itís 20 horses, so I shifted to first but meanwhile it slowed way down and I lost all the momentum, the bike was straightening up, so I put my foot down to hold it up but unfortunately I was so close to the inside of the corner since I was cutting the corners because all the cages coming down where crossing the double yellow, that the thing just fell over and in to the ditch with me on it. Iím sure it didnít help that I was riding dirt all day before that and I was totally exhausted and I let some air out of my knobbies for dirt riding  Lol  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 03:59:41 pm by VIVID1 » Logged

black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 04:01:30 pm »

Yes it does, and I looked pretty pathetic laying next to it. The bike was having trouble climbing this steep mountain in 2nd gear and all itís 20 horses, so I shifted to first but meanwhile it slowed way down and I lost all the momentum, the bike was straightening up, so I put my foot down to hold it up but unfortunately I was so close to the inside of the circle because I was cutting the corners because all the cages coming down where crossing the double yellow, that the thing just fell over and in to the ditch with me on it. Iím sure it didnít help that I was riding dirt all day before that and I was totally exhausted and too a lot of air out of my knobbies.  

LOL... Sounds like you are becoming quite the off-roader! "totally exhausted" has gotten me before too Wink. pressing on when every muscle in your body tells you to quit seems to be a required quality for trail riding? If you and your XT ever end up in western South Dakota let me know, I'll point you in the right direction for some great trails. Rocks don't bother you do they??

BlueRidgeKat

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 10:38:11 pm »

Oh no Anna your XT has turtled !!!

The main thing is your ok and it was'nt the ST3 !  The XT's are tough, they can take it  Bigsmile
Albie
Exceptionally Talented Squid

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Busa, Wee Strom, KTM 690 and 450 EXC, KXF 450F
GPS: The Ozarks
Miles Typed: 1207

My Photo Gallery

Acckkkk

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 05:15:22 pm »

Isn't this the point where you shoot it and put it out of it's misery, then go buy a Thoroughbred?   Lol
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 03:09:41 pm »

The XT is just resting quietly or listening through it's handlebars.

"Shh, I hear oncoming traffic.  Large rigs, heavy loads, possibly cornfed beef."

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »

LOL.... Indian sticks his ear to the ground and says "Hmm..Buffalo come" the white guy say's
"you can hear them?" Inidan replies "No, ear all sticky"

R.Markus

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 06:48:37 pm »

LOL.... Indian sticks his ear to the ground and says "Hmm..Buffalo come" the white guy say's
"you can hear them?" Inidan replies "No, ear all sticky"

Lol
BlueRidgeKat

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 09:35:03 am »

The latest XT outing was at the Nolichucky Valley Rally HSTA event in Erwin Tennessee.  http://www.ridehsta.com/ There appeared to be about as many dual sport bikes there as there were sport tourers this year. If you are looking for a great group of people to hang with or are looking for someone to ride with I highly recommed finding a HSTA event near you. All makes and models are welcome including cruisers. Sport Touring bikes and dual sports make up the majority.

We left out on Friday and due to another commitment plus a crappy work schedule we had to return Saturday evening. We did enjoy USFS 230 on Unaka Mountain very much and got a few pics along the way.

High atop the mountain.

No this was'nt the road but a rocky trail to a overlook.

Trail ended here with a drop straight down. So much fog and haze there was no view.

About halfway down the mountain we found another (road?) off of USFS 230 that started out looking good but after about a half a mile the weeds started getting higher and the mud deeper. Sure enough I seen BlueRidgeGal in the mirror disappear in the weeds. I considered going home and get the weedeater to cut a path to find her but she popped back up laughing about as quick as the XT went down. It was a very soft landing in the mud.

Like Vivid1's MSR's the PowerMadds passed the crash test. (better than I thought they would)

Gosh girl, you're dirty!!   EEK!

We took a water break before getting back on pavement and heading home.

The end

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal