Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: First SS1K - Interstates or state highways?  (Read 9063 times)

Dmozer74

Reputation 1

Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »

I recently moved from a Bonneville to a C14 and am looking to do my first SaddleSore 1000. I live in Colorado Springs so I have a few choices when it comes to running a route. My longest day in the saddle has been just over 500 miles on the Bonneville. I am planning a 300+ mile day on the Concours to make sure the bike and I are up to the challenge. The SS1K will be attempted on a weekday.  Anyway, the question: Do I take a far more scenic route on twisty state highways through the mountains (loop) or do I plan a strictly interstate route (out and back)? I could choose to go east into Kansas or head North to WY/MT border, or even head south to Truth or Consequences, NM. The preference is to go on state roads and take a fun and interesting route, but not having done an SS1K before I don't want to get in over my head.  Google Maps says the highway route would take 18 hrs, 20 minutes to go 1018 miles.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 04:52:34 pm »

I would opt for the route that keeps your interest level high.

Also, front-end the darkness. Time it to finish while there is still light in the sky.

If the route on the good road she involves a boring stretch to either start the ride or finish it, do it first.

Three points where two lines meet
David Morrow

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2003 FJR + 2016 FJR ES
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 666

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »

I've done a few IB rides and I would, regrettably, suggest the interstates. Or, at least, for the majority of your miles. Even a SS1000 on fast roads is a very long day and if you're not used to it, you might end up pushing yourself too much at the end to get out of the winding roads where you have no place to stop for the night. I have no trouble being stimulated when I'm riding, even on interstates. On anything but IB rides, I avoid anything resembling an interstate like the plague so I suggest this only out of necessity.

I agree with the above post suggesting doing the dark part of the ride first. You will be fresh and alert. I always did mine that way. If you have to finish in the dark, make sure that the end portion is easy riding and well calculated to end near home or a motel. If it's a motel, make sure you have a reservation. On my first IB ride, the town was fully  booked due to a wine festival and the nearest vacancy was about 60 miles away.

Finally, get a good mapping program and create waypoints every 150 miles or so and calculate your ETA for some or all of those waypoints. It's good discipline, especially for your first IB ride to see how important it is to keep your speed up and to keep rest and gas stops to a minimum. Your GPS, if you input the waypoints, will help you keep on schedule. On that first IB ride of mine, I created the schedule but then, while en route, didn't pay very close attention to it. Once finished, I couldn't believe how far off the ETA that I was and it was easy to look back to see how and where I messed up. I was inside the 24 hours though but not by much.

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15
Advertisement

Daboo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW F800GT
Miles Typed: 50

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:57:14 am »

I agree with David.  Take the interstate and pick a route with the highest speed limit.  The object is to ride 1000 miles in less than 24 hours, not to stretch that time out by taking twisty roads.  By the time you are finishing, you will be tired.  You'll be even more tired, if you put in a few hours hauling a C14 through one turn after another.

I started my SS1000 at about 4am and finished after dark.  I didn't plan well.  I did an out and back from Seattle to Montana and back.  Unfortunately, that put me coming back in the dark over Snoqualmie Pass a couple hours out from home.  There was construction on the roads through the pass, which made it difficult in the dark.  Top that off with rain that hit at the top of the pass.  I was doing well as I crossed Eastern Washington's flat straight interstate...but I could barely keep my eyes open through the pass.

Take the interstate and get the ride over safely.  Nobody cares if you did it on the interstate in 18 hours, or the side roads in 23 hours and 45 minutes.  Your Iron Butt certificate and $4 will still get you a cup of coffee either way.

I did mine on a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter.  Yup, a scooter.  I've since sold the scooter and kept the license plate frame.  Everyone assumes I did the SS1000 on the BMW I currently own.  I have no interest in doing it twice.  All I really wanted was to prove to myself I could do it and get the license plate frame.  Now when I ride, I want to avoid the interstate.  But it was useful for that trip.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894   John 14:6
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:51 am »

I can hardly imagine a more miserable experience than a SS1K on nothing but freeways.  Sad

Three points where two lines meet
Bgross

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: FJR, Blackbird, GL1800
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:31:19 am »

Take the interstate and get the ride over safely.  Nobody cares if you did it on the interstate in 18 hours, or the side roads in 23 hours and 45 minutes.  Your Iron Butt certificate and $4 will still get you a cup of coffee either way.

From the IBA website:

"There are five steps to earning a SaddleSore or Bun Burner 1500 certification; 1. Choose a safe route, 2. get a start witness, 3. collect and track receipts, 4. get an end witness and 5. copy and submit your documentation. Since safety is our primary concern, no pre-registration of your ride is needed. Our goal is to give you added flexibility to decide on any given day whether the combination of weather, your motorcycle and most importantly, your attitude, is ready for a big ride."

In general terms, the biggest obstacle in your first SS1k will be fatigue and fatigue is cumulative over time.
Selecting an interstate route will allow you to maintain an average speed higher than the highways and byways.

Twenty-four hours is PLENTY of time to ride 1000 miles. With a MOVING average of 63 mph, your time in the saddle is just shy of 16 hours, leaving 8 HOURS for fuel, restroom/snack breaks - and even a nap if you need it.
Set yourself up to succeed by planning:

*a route that will reduce unnecessary delays, like traffic in metro areas
*fuel stops at reasonable intervals. Your Connie's tank may hold enough fuel for 200-mile intervals, but your body may need 150-175 miles - especially in the second half.
*ride on a day when the weather forecast does not include high/gusty winds; avoid riding into the rising or setting sun; dress and pack clothing for predicted or possible extremes of temperature or rain.
*stay hydrated. The relationship between dehydration and fatigue is legendary and as both increase, safety decreases.

You have PLENTY of time. Focus on minimizing the effects of cumulative fatigue, pay attention to your documentation, and ENJOY!

"Plan your ride, ride your plan."
Bgross

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: FJR, Blackbird, GL1800
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35:00 am »

Adding:
After your first SUCCESSFUL SS1k, you'll have the experience and confidence to do another on different roads!
David Morrow

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:36:46 pm »

I can hardly imagine a more miserable experience than a SS1K on nothing but freeways.  Sad

I would agree but we can't always have everything that we want and get it safely. A SS1K is generally the first IB ride for a rider - this is not the time to take the fun roads only to find out that you should have done the interstate. This is the time to pick the low hanging fruit and see what you are capable of. Better to be bored to tears on the interstate that hurt riding beyond your LD abilities.

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1615

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:21 pm »

When you need to click miles off quick ride the interstate highways.  Try to stay away from big cities in rush hour.  

And my other motto is "Left Lane Hammer Down".   Only one lane of merging traffic to deal with.

That's my two cents

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separatelyĒ
Babbitt

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1992 R100GS, 2012 Vstrom 650
Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:32:58 pm »

I have done all my saddle sore rides on highways. I start around 5 am, my normal wake up time, and finish around midnight. For me interesting roads and small towns are part of the fun. I also find that standing up on my pegs as I pass through small towns helps stretch out my legs. Plan a box route with a couple of places you have always wanted to go pick a nice day and go.

In your helmet no one can hear you sing.
IBA #61520
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1270

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 12:40:51 pm »

I did my first on 3/4 interstate. The 1/4 state highway nearly cost me the cert because it was loaded with locals going under the posted speed limit.

I agree with Mr. Morrow. Do the first one on interstates. Increase the difficulty once you have a better idea of how you handle the miles in the easiest possible way.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 01:45:03 pm »

Having done a couple myself I agree (sadly) regarding riding the Interstates or at least higher speed divided highways. I also agree regarding avoiding cities as much as possible, even smaller cities if they don't have freeways going around them. Keep your stops as short as you can while also making sure you have enough rest time. I have saved a lot of stop time by strapping a small cooler on the bike and packing a bunch of food I can eat quickly like cut up vegetables and beef jerky, and eat something at every gas/bathroom stop. Stopping for a proper meal at a restaurant will really slow you down.

In planning, figure out any spots with picnic tables so you can pull over and grab a ten minute nap on a picnic table if you get drowsy. They are amazingly comfortable if you just leave your gear and helmet on. The helmet makes a good pillow. Set your phone alarm for no more than 10-20 minutes.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1093

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 04:58:50 pm »

TRAFFIC is the enemy.  What type of road you ride on is not as important as is the need to avoid traffic.  That and the need to just keep MOVING.  The roads that you are likely to ride out there are going to allow you to ride at a faster pace than many in other parts of the country.  They are more rural with higher posted speeds than many in other places.  I suggest a combination of expressway and state routes where the speed limits are at least 45-55.  Try to avoid towns and cities as much as possible, especially at morning and even rush hours and a traffic lunch time.  When you stop to eat, do so at off hours.  Eat lightly.  Stay hydrated.  Get some music in your helmet.  A cruise control is a great help.  Take aspirin, etc. before you start and before you get sore.  Use a trunk on the back of the bike to keep your records.  A big envelope to put receipts in.  Try to keep the sun at your back as much as you can.  Riding into the sun increases discomfort and fatigue.  Have a back up plan if it looks like the weather is not going to cooperate.

Plan something FUN and then ride the plan.  

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
David Morrow

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 06:35:16 pm »

I wouldn't get too formal with your receipts while riding. Just write the odometer reading on the bottom and stick it in your wallet. The receipt will have a location (usually), time, and date on it. You can do the paperwork when you're done.

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2219

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 06:44:14 pm »

I did 1,000 miles in twenty-four hours and I wasn't even trying. More on that in a minute.

If I was to do a 1,000 mile ride for a license plate, I'd get it over with in as little of hassle as possible. The interstate all the way. Where I live, Southwestern part of the country, going from Southern California through Las Vegas and then on the interstate highways of Utah or through Arizona would be a piece of cake to do 1,000 miles. My FJR1300 will do an easy 250 miles on a tank and I am one of the few that can go that distance with no discomfort at all. I have XM radio so I have music/news all the time or I keep myself busy looking at stuff.

I left one Summer several years ago in the early evening and stopped for several hours of sleep on the way to some business two states away. I arrived in the morning took 2/3 hours in a meeting and then left back home. I stopped in the same rest area to get a brief nap and when I woke up realized that I had gone over 1,000 miles in less than twenty-four hours and I wasn't even trying.

I did do 840 miles in twelve hours and two minutes. Seventy MPH average including stops. That is my distance record so far and don't think I can ever beat that.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 07:57:20 pm »

You got a comfortable rear end

250 miles without stoppin  

kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 02:58:18 am »

No license plate, no bragging rights, but I've done 1000 miles in a day many times --- we used to ride from the DC area to WPB/Miami area in 16 hours including stops --  probably about 13 hours of riding time at 80+mph the whole way.   Right down I95 and doing as many miles as possible at night to avoid the oppressive summer heat and traffic.  I'd leave DC at 9pm have breakfast with family and take a short nap in Jacksonville Fl. and then push on after rush hour was over.    

Definitely go for highway / freeway miles -- its real easy to rack up miles and stay ahead of the curve / schedule.    
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 07:52:28 am »

My butt doesnít start hurting to bad on long rides, but my knees and shoulders will start hurting.  Highway pegs of some type can help the knees.  A cruise control and a good windscreen help with the shoulders.  Iíve found that an Airhawk pad, with the PROPER amount of air really takes care of the butt hurting problem.  Getting the air volume set right takes some time and experimenting, but itís well worth it.  

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Biking Sailor

Reputation 56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 852

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 11:29:32 am »

A 300 mile day would be a piece of cake as a warm up ride, then do a 500 mile ride to identify what further issues may creep up. Funny how that extra 200 miles added on changes how your seat and riding position feels. Lots of good advice from the experienced crew here. I'm also learning as a bystander.

One thing I personally have to do is get off caffeine for a week or so before the ride or I am stopping too often when trying to stay hydrated. I typically stop every 1/2 tank of gas to take in a snack and fluids, only for a couple minutes, then back on the bike. Real short breaks often does me more good that a longer on less often, but to each their own.

As far as route, for the first 1000 ride from the Springs, I would consider an easy run to Carlsbad, NM for lunch, if done in the Spring or Fall. If summer maybe head to the Salt Lake City area via big multi-lane mixed in with low traffic highways. Avoiding traffic is the key, as has been stated. Worrying about being on schedule, fighting slowing moving lines of cars and trucks, slowing down for close together towns and avoiding performance awards are killers to the fun factor.

Travel season is just starting up for me, and I can't wait.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
aviationfred

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1995 FJ1200, 1990 FJ1200, 1990 VFR750
GPS: Wichita, Kansas
Miles Typed: 236

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 12:47:36 am »

The suggested route that I recommend, I have covered much of during my own SS1000. I would take route 24 to Limon, CO. and pick up I-70. Run it to Topeka, KS., turn around and retrace your route back to Colorado Springs. I-70 in Kansas has a posted speed limit of 75mph for most of the route. You can easily travel at 80-85mph without attracting the attention of LEO's. Another thing that is mentioned by a few others.... no caffeine and stay hydrated. On long rides, I wear a 2 liter CamelBak and fill it with Gatorade.

I am planning another SS1000 myself in late September. Wichita, KS to Stecoah, NC for the Vintage Yamaha Rally.

My 2 cents

Fred
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:54:47 am by aviationfred » Logged

IBA #65004
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 12:50:17 pm »

I wouldn't get too formal with your receipts while riding. Just write the odometer reading on the bottom and stick it in your wallet. The receipt will have a location (usually), time, and date on it. You can do the paperwork when you're done.

Keep the receipts. Make sure each has:

Sequence # so it's easier to reconstruct later (1, 2, etc.)
Date
Time
Mileage
PRINTED on the receipt the location (if not, get the attendant to initial your hand-written entry)

Also, the recommendation not to hang around NOT riding. I can't tell you the number of times I've read an "exciting" ride report that ended up being "exciting" only because someone stopped for 20 or 30 minutes at every gas stop and wasted their buffer time when something unexpected held them up later. One published article in a moto mag cost the author his cert because he detailed how he stopped in Vegas to gamble then had to whack the rest of the trip (wheelies and all). His triple-digit speeds and admitted stunts were what cost him the cert.

If you keep rolling, a SS1K only needs about 42 mph on average.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
jay547

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2933

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:28 pm »

This thread almost makes me want to try this.

Almost.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 07:18:56 am »

Did my ďofficialĒ SS1000 just because.  It was something to do, once.  Other long rides have been because of need...like I needed to get back home to go to work the next day.  Now that I donít have the time constraints I once did, I have no desire to do another one. Iím much more about quality than quantity now.  I donít have any problem with others feeling different and actually would encourage everyone to do it at least one.  You really canít tell if you will enjoy it without at least trying it once.  I did enjoy my SS1000, and most of my long rides done in the past.  Just not enough to go out an purposefully schedule another one.   Bigsmile

A comment on time.....I did my last SS on a Labor Day weekend, Sunday.  Sundayís of lomg weekends are actually low travel days for most people, especially people traveling outside of cities.  I left at 4 in the morning and it was light by around 6.  I got back home at 10 at night and it wasnít dark until after 8-8:30.  So all but about 4 hours was in daylight.  18 hours total, with about 2 hours in total stop time.  

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 11:12:30 am »

Something more for me to add- I would want to get it over with. Heck, I've worked sixteen hour days. To try and push for twenty-four hours doesn't make sense to me. Be safe, keep up speed, take a power nap, if need be, and get it over with.

I may be different, but in a good way, because I can focus, get into a project and not even eat all day and have no repercussions of that. Same as on the bike. I can ride and get into the scenery/music and not have to stop for hours.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:53 am »

^This

I'm more apt to ride and not sniff flowers because sniffing flowers gets boring quickly for me. When I road with GWRRA, I was the one pacing at gas stops when everyone was done filling up but were still standing around chatting yet, when anyone tried to chat over the CB while moving, were scolded by the ride lead to keep the chatter down.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 11:45:52 pm »

I'm still waiting to do my SS1000 - basically Philadelphia to West Palm Beach, because a good friend lives in the WPB area. It's too late to do it now; FL temps are "hot enough to fry an egg on your head" with humidity that would drown a young child. Come this fall, the weather window should open in between two major 4-wheel trips. Anyway...

I've done enough up and down I-95 (including a day in p***ing down rain and a fogging S1 visor) to know that the first real excitement south after DC is Pedro's. Well, that and billboards (Pedro's included). If it weren't for the massive collection of tunes on my Samsung S7, I'd probably go insane from seeing the same trees over and over. What sorts of gimmicks work for avoiding getting into the freeway stare (eyes open, nobody home)?

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
micah2074
Itís good to be the king.

Reputation 38

Motorcycles: FJ-09, YZF600R, Nighthawk 700 S
Miles Typed: 93

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »

What sorts of gimmicks work for avoiding getting into the freeway stare (eyes open, nobody home)?

I sing to myself. The helmet and sounds of the road make an otherwise horrible singer sound pretty good.
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:42 pm »

isometrics and standing stretches while riding (every 20 minutes) help keep you alert. If you're zoning out (micro-sleeps), then it's time for a 20 minute power nap. Never push past that or you can end up dead from running off the road.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda ST1300A
Miles Typed: 96

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 06:31:44 pm »

I may try this next year. .or maybe in the Fall. 680 miles is my longest run without stopping(except for gas).  Perfect weather except for the thunderstorm we hit about 30 miles from home. Lol, we were soaked to the bone, but it was in the 80s and so close to home it didn't bother us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 07:36:04 am »

I'm still waiting to do my SS1000 - basically Philadelphia to West Palm Beach, because a good friend lives in the WPB area. It's too late to do it now; FL temps are "hot enough to fry an egg on your head" with humidity that would drown a young child. Come this fall, the weather window should open in between two major 4-wheel trips. Anyway...

I've done enough up and down I-95 (including a day in p***ing down rain and a fogging S1 visor) to know that the first real excitement south after DC is Pedro's. Well, that and billboards (Pedro's included). If it weren't for the massive collection of tunes on my Samsung S7, I'd probably go insane from seeing the same trees over and over. What sorts of gimmicks work for avoiding getting into the freeway stare (eyes open, nobody home)?

I 95

Donít do it

Pick another route on another day

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 09:09:46 am »

I 95

Donít do it

Pick another route on another day

I concur. Also, distances are best entered into in phases (no one starts with a BBG). Use the shorter distances to learn how to listen to what your body is telling you. In the example of "highway hypnosis", the way to address this is to know yourself and understand that taking a break is the way to fix it instead of trying to fight it. Finishing a cert ride is inconsequential when compared to safely returning home to try again later.

Avoid caffeine and no-doze. Lean into 20 minute power naps, stretching, and isometrics of arms and legs while underway.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 12:07:33 pm »

I sing to myself. The helmet and sounds of the road make an otherwise horrible singer sound pretty good.

+1    Also, I do math in my head, average MPH, time to next stop, miles left in the tank, etc.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 12:00:03 pm »

This thread almost makes me want to try this.

Almost.
I'm gonna do one in September now. . . My sister's house in Lexington, KY is 500 miles away. . .good turnaround or nap point.....I've already done this round trip on my mc, but there was a week between coming and going.

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 12:22:01 pm »

I'm gonna do one in September now. . . My sister's house in Lexington, KY is 500 miles away. . .good turnaround or nap point.....I've already done this round trip on my mc, but there was a week between coming and going.

Where are you starting from?  Here in CT I can do a loop thru New England but it involves going thru New Haven, Providence & Boston!  Or I can go to Ohio then turn around.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 07:46:33 pm »

Where are you starting from?  Here in CT I can do a loop thru New England but it involves going thru New Haven, Providence & Boston!  Or I can go to Ohio then turn around.
Woodbridge, Virginia. . . .

Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:33 pm »

I've done the round trip before, but there was a week between coming and going. . . I got back in just over 7 hours.  Zero traffic or construction on my way back. . Just caught some light rain when I started my return trip. .

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 11:32:08 pm »

FWIW...
Sigh... no SS1000 this fall. Riding with a broken thumb is so not fun for only moving my FJR in the garage. Kinda hard to pull the clutch without a thumb to anchor the pull. I may get lucky in late November. Or not. A crash and burn on a bicycle has convinced me that bicycles are seriously dangerous. I'll stick to my safe FJR, thanks.  Bigsmile

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 03:54:13 pm »

A bit more about I95 vs not I95, which applies to fast v. local roads.

I95 is paralleled by (and probably replaces) US17 and later there's a choice between US17 and FL's A1A. Having run long stretches of both, I95 is for making miles in a hurry. US17 is great for being caught behind logging trucks with no (legal) way around, lights varying from flashing yellow to long lights favoring the cross road, very small towns with signs calling for 25 mph and meaning it, mall traffic, and traffic jams (rush hour or otherwise), and, after variable business hours, gas stops only near Interstate crossings. After sunset, scenery along US17 is limited. A1A adds beach towns and, near Jacksonville, a ferry across St. Johns River (short ride, long wait) or I95 near JAX (the ferry doesn't run all night).

My first challenge is get from PHL is to avoid traffic jams from the PA Tpk entrance 5 miles from here to below Richmond on I95.

Potential slow-ups include Charleston (maybe - it's east of I95), Savannah (too darn close), traffic near JAX is miserable and the roadway is a mess, and Daytona. Somewhere near Vero Beach/Ft. Pierce all the way to leaving FL's Turnpike (change from I95 near Ft. Pierce - better roadway, toll road) near Wellington, FL (end point) the rush traffic builds up.

Local roads are no help almost anywhere along this route. Should something go sour with the bike or with you, there's a better chance of getting help. Even if the good folks of Harvey's Hump are willing to help you. If they're up and about.

My return route will take local roads because the clock won't be ticking in my ear.

Point made, I hope. Smile

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 04:30:42 pm »

I hate riding anywhere near NYC or PHL or DC
That's why it's I-84 to I-81 for me usually

MarkF

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 04:13:52 am »

WOW. Having lived only in the Southwest part of the country my whole life I am reminded of how lucky quite a few of us are!!! No humidity either!!!

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 11:50:41 am »

I hate riding anywhere near NYC or PHL or DC
That's why it's I-84 to I-81 for me usually
You haven't seen the "Pray for me, I drive 81" stickers? Or 80 or 84. I guess 95 is beyond prayer.  EEK!

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 09:36:01 pm »

You haven't seen the "Pray for me, I drive 81" stickers? Or 80 or 84. I guess 95 is beyond prayer.  EEK!

Nope.  84 (except in CT) is a dream and at least 81 hauls ass.  I watched a TT slam into a sedan in the lane next to me in stop & GO! traffic on 95.

MarkF

Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 05:23:11 pm »

Wish me luck.....looks like most of the remnants of Florence will be through here by late tonight.  I'll be heading out for my SS1000 at 6am tomorrow.  I can actually get there with only making on gas stop at the midpoint......just under 260 miles from home.  Google maps says 4 1/2 hours, but I'll take that as a challenge:)

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 09:53:06 am »

break a leg (but not really)

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 03:44:01 pm »

All went well...caught some rain during the first 2 1/2 hours, but the weather the rest of the time made up for it.  Low temp this ride was 57, high was 89.  Made pretty good time,  considering I  spent 3 hours at my sister's house.  I also had a 20 mile inactive construction zone that lowered my speed by 10mph each way. 

Start time 0608 yesterday, end time 0029 today:)  Pretty easy with a comfy bike with good gas range.  I ended up topping off every 200 miles or so, seeing as how I rode through a lot of nowhere.  I was glad the boring stretches were on the other end. 

Night riding through the mountains may be my new favorite thing!  Zero traffic and it adds a bit of extra excitement doing mountain twisties in the dark:)  (I am very familiar with these roads and would not suggest this otherwise).

I guess my new goal is to go 1,500 in 24 hours.  A challenge for next year!

Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 03:44:28 pm »

break a leg (but not really)
And no broken legs🤣

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:20 am »

Congrats.

Get that paperwork sent in! Smile

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 01:40:46 pm »

Congrats.

Get that paperwork sent in! Smile
Lol.....I have to go and buy envelopes first😂  I can't remember the last time I actually mailed something!  I guess that means I'll need stamps too........

Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 01:41:04 pm »

And Thank You!

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:50 am »

Congratulations!

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2018, 10:06:17 am »

Lol.....I have to go and buy envelopes first😂  I can't remember the last time I actually mailed something!  I guess that means I'll need stamps too........

two birds with one stop - just use that pay one price overnight envelope.

P.S.  Congrats!

MarkF

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2019, 12:25:19 am »

Necro-posting and loving it. Re-reading this thread, I couldn't resist commenting on:

WOW. Having lived only in the Southwest part of the country my whole life I am reminded of how lucky quite a few of us are!!! No humidity either!!!
Having sampled SW roads, I am in utter envy of the chances to get from way over here to way over there at a goodly speed. Well, in the fall and spring. I'll pass on monsoon season, complete with dust storms and flash floods. Riding in snow is sooooo not my thing.

No humidity is an insidious thing. Sweat disappears in a hurry - gee, I'm not sweating, I guess I'm not dehydrating. So very wrong.

All of that said, I am seriously ready to get back there.

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2019, 01:36:47 pm »

Necro-posting and loving it. Re-reading this thread, I couldn't resist commenting on:
Having sampled SW roads, I am in utter envy of the chances to get from way over here to way over there at a goodly speed. Well, in the fall and spring. I'll pass on monsoon season, complete with dust storms and flash floods. Riding in snow is sooooo not my thing.

No humidity is an insidious thing. Sweat disappears in a hurry - gee, I'm not sweating, I guess I'm not dehydrating. So very wrong.

All of that said, I am seriously ready to get back there.

Well...Ö.we're waiting. Pronounced like the guy in Caddy Shack said it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal