Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Voice command app for Android to Sena needed  (Read 995 times)

MidLifeMike

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2017, 01:53:18 am »

I've got 2 of the original SMH10 units from the dawn of time before firmware could be updated.
My problem is setting up my newish HTC One (M8) with an easy to understand voice command app like my HTC Desire Z already had that just took orders with no delay or setup.

The main things I want to do:
1) Call out from the headset to phone contacts on my HTC - this I seem able to do already, but not as slick as before on my older phone.
2) Start a music player and make voice commands to the player. I'm not even sure which player app will be most suitable. I think that's going to depend on the voice command app I end up with.
3) If I could do a speech to text to send out an occasional SMS that would be handy.  

I tried installing Google Launcher and it's a horrid little abortion. That was my first attempt at going with Google Now.
So what are the popular routes to go?

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »

IMNSHO, you're basically out of luck. It's been a couple of years since I used my SMH-10, but I recall it as being fairly clueless about external devices. That is, yes, you can connect to your phone, but any speech activity is on the phone's side. In great measure, speech issues hold true for my current 20S, too. The problem, at least for me, was trying to use "Hello, Google" concurrent with Google Maps. I've since moved to Waze and haven't tried trying to "Hello, Google" with Waze running. I really need to jump on that. I haven't bothered much with Sena's voice commands; I'm a button-pusher for most tasks. When I used a Sena Prism camera and 20S voice commands; that worked fairly well (I gave up on the Prism - short explanation: poor imagery).

Two of my big gripes with the 20S (and there's no sign of a change in the 20S EVO): 1) No reliable volume control per device, 2) no way to change device priorities. 1) If a phone, cranked up, isn't as loud as a separate GPS, the GPS can be far, far too loud - turn the 20S' volume down, and phone's output is lost. 2) There's no way to have GPS over music, or music over GPS - GPS always interrupts music. That means any button push sets of a cycle of messing with music instead of a beep with the music.

IMNSHO, riders are getting, and probably will always, get hind tit on intercoms and BT headsets. There probably isn't enough market to force makers to do the job right.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the tree.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
dorklord

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2015 Ninja 1000
GPS: Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 1192

My Photo Gallery

Is the gas tank half empty or half full?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:19:56 pm »

I've got 2 of the original SMH10 units from the dawn of time before firmware could be updated.
My problem is setting up my newish HTC One (M8) with an easy to understand voice command app like my HTC Desire Z already had that just took orders with no delay or setup.

The main things I want to do:
1) Call out from the headset to phone contacts on my HTC - this I seem able to do already, but not as slick as before on my older phone.
2) Start a music player and make voice commands to the player. I'm not even sure which player app will be most suitable. I think that's going to depend on the voice command app I end up with.
3) If I could do a speech to text to send out an occasional SMS that would be handy.  

I tried installing Google Launcher and it's a horrid little abortion. That was my first attempt at going with Google Now.
So what are the popular routes to go?

Can you not give your phone voice commands now (when not using the headset)?

I've been using voice commands (for making calls, pausing and resuming music, and sending the occasional speech-to-text message) on my Android phones for several generations of device now, and never had to install a special app for it.

I'm a normal guy. I put my pants on one leg at a time, I wave at the FBI surveillance team in front of my house...I'm just like everybody else.
Advertisement

dorklord

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2015 Ninja 1000
GPS: Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 1192

My Photo Gallery

Is the gas tank half empty or half full?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:30:33 pm »

IMNSHO, you're basically out of luck. It's been a couple of years since I used my SMH-10, but I recall it as being fairly clueless about external devices. That is, yes, you can connect to your phone, but any speech activity is on the phone's side. In great measure, speech issues hold true for my current 20S, too....
IMNSHO, riders are getting, and probably will always, get hind tit on intercoms and BT headsets. There probably isn't enough market to force makers to do the job right.

In my opinion, letting the speech be handled by the phone IS doing the job right, compared to the slowness and myriad of different commands and speech recognition errors that car systems are riddled with.

It is nice for the headset to have some speech recognition to use the features of the headset itself (switching inputs, etc) but having the headset try to load up my contact list (like a car does) and then try to do voice recognition on it...

I'm a normal guy. I put my pants on one leg at a time, I wave at the FBI surveillance team in front of my house...I'm just like everybody else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal