Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Go pro mounting  (Read 941 times)

Ketch
National Guard Family

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 16 Versys 1000
GPS: San Antonio, TX
Miles Typed: 194

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »

So I got a GoPro hero 5 session for my trip to Thailand. Trying to decide to mount it on the side of my helmet or the top. Anybody out there have any experience that might have some suggestions or recommendations.
No plans to mount it to the rental bike.  

Survivor
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:09:22 pm »

I have mounted it to both the side and top. The top gives you a better view of the scenery on both sides. The side mount works but one side or the other is going to be partially blocked. Also I am not crazy about the helmet mount because my resulting image is bouncy. Recently I have preferred to mount it to the bike. There are still options to do that on a rental. One is to use their tough clamp: https://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAP-B-397-2U-Universal-Tough-Clamp-Diameter/dp/B00HR07TIC

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
MidLifeMike

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »

I get a good perspective with the camera at the left side of my chin. It was one of the few places on my Scorpion EXO2000 that offered space and the matching curvature to adhere the mount but it's worked out well anyway. If you were to look down from above and the chin center is 12 o'clock, the base is positioned at 11 o'clock. I slide the mount in from the back, horizontally.

The lens is well forward of the helmet and I don't notice a difference in the resulting view left to right because it's maybe 4 inches off center. Depending on the vertical angle, videos show either my hands on the controls included at the bottom and the top of the windscreen half way up the frame, with a good amount of road and sky above that; or just the top of the mirrors near the bottom of the frame, top edge of the windscreen 1/5th from the bottom and a bunch of uninteresting sky and tree tops beyond that.

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
Advertisement

CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9031

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:06:30 pm »

I've toyed with it over the years- here are spots I have tried with commentary.  Take it for what you paid for it.   Bigsmile

http://youtu.be/zEy7nXVhtJg

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:48:03 pm by CLAY » Logged

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:57 pm »

Right side, just below my eye-line, forward enough miss everything but the edge of my open visor. The camera is set for 170° field of view (the rest of the info's in the opening and closing scrolls). While off the centerline, the view's very close to a true personal point of view.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Ketch
National Guard Family

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 16 Versys 1000
GPS: San Antonio, TX
Miles Typed: 194

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:48:24 pm »

Thanks for the input. I did some testing with it on the top of my helmet.
Gets a good view, but little more challenging turning off/on..
One time I apparently changed it to burst photo mode, and ended up with 3000 photos instead of video.
I can use my phone to preview and make changes, but that requires wifi mode to be on which drags the battery down faster.

I still have 2.5 months to come up with what works best..

Survivor
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:52:06 pm »

IMHO helmet top mounting gives a "standing on the pegs" POV. And if you really stand up... If the goal is "you are there", that's not a winning POV.

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal