Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Sprint 1050 fuel tank refitting problems  (Read 804 times)

andyevs13

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Triumph Sprint ST 1050 '06
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:11:52 am »

1st post - I have seen old threads on this issue. I spent an unhappy hour (in the dark!) trying to refit the tank on my '06 1050 ST last night, after changing the battery. It took an unhealthy amount of swearing, shoving, swearing & forcing to get it back on the bike. It clearly wasn't like that when it left the factory & I put it down to not having any workshop/garage space or time to do maintenance to the standard I'd like. It makes far more sense now (though is, if anything more frustrating) that I find out there is a known issue with the fuel tank distorting. It has clearly been rubbing around the headstock & there is a mark where the left bar has made contact with the tank at full lock.
Anybody know of any solutions?  Headscratch
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 184

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:20:06 am »

Wish I did...  I thought about getting a steel tank years ago and then gave up.  Came up with a process for getting the tank back on using 1x2s and shims...    
Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1096

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:34:50 pm »

1st post - I have seen old threads on this issue. I spent an unhappy hour (in the dark!) trying to refit the tank on my '06 1050 ST last night, after changing the battery. It took an unhealthy amount of swearing, shoving, swearing & forcing to get it back on the bike. It clearly wasn't like that when it left the factory & I put it down to not having any workshop/garage space or time to do maintenance to the standard I'd like. It makes far more sense now (though is, if anything more frustrating) that I find out there is a known issue with the fuel tank distorting. It has clearly been rubbing around the headstock & there is a mark where the left bar has made contact with the tank at full lock.
Anybody know of any solutions?  Headscratch

Check out the Sprint section at triumphrat.net. This is a known problem with the 1050's, both ST and GT. The inner tank is plastic, and can change shape if off the bike too long, making remounting the tank difficult. There are threads on the subject where people have shared their tricks.
Advertisement

slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 380

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:21:06 pm »

I never found it necessary to remove the tank to replace the battery.  With a little persuasion, it will fit past.  

I had my '05 ST with a plastic tank for 10 years and 85,000 miles.  I had the tank off many times and never had an issue refitting the tank.  I don't know why some do.  Other than rendering my magnetic tank bag useless, I liked the plastic tank.

IBA #8027
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal