Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2002 r1150rtp wiring mess (rear running light)  (Read 1266 times)

r1150rt-pinto

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 R1150RT-P
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2018, 09:35:50 pm »

so my newly acquired 2002 bmw1150rtp and the wiring harness was/is mutilated. a bunch of handle bar switches that do nothing or nothing practical. biggest issue is the rear running light is not operational...where is the wire that would/should go to that? best splice point?

any help from those who know about these police bike wiring messes is appreciated!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2381

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:23:17 am »

No offense, because none is intended, but, that is what happens when you buy something like that. It was wired for who knows what and then all that junk was removed leaving a lot of loose ends.

I'd get a BMW manual and start from scratch. The basic wiring is most likely the same and then the junk was added onto/off of the BMW wiring.

Shrug

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 01:13:32 pm »

Any switched source that doesn't piss off the can-bus can be used for rear running light.  
I wish all bikes came with an extra switch or two.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Advertisement

r1150rt-pinto

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 R1150RT-P
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:35 pm »

No offense, because none is intended, but, that is what happens when you buy something like that. It was wired for who knows what and then all that junk was removed leaving a lot of loose ends.

I'd get a BMW manual and start from scratch. The basic wiring is most likely the same and then the junk was added onto/off of the BMW wiring.

Shrug

no offense was taken, i thank you for the response; My 1150rt runs great after a major overhaul and is my everything commuter, just wafts through the miles. a few rough edges here and there and the wiring is probably the worst bit at this point. i love the bike, love the color. only makes me want a "civilian" rt or a 1200rt down the line. next "overhaul" woud be to get the wiring properly sorted. i do not have a radio nor want one so the wiring should be easy to consolidate/simplify. the hard part is have this done by someone who knows these bikes inside and out...and whether it is even worth it. As opposed to saving up for the 1200rt. do not even want to thank about it now as this 1150rt is fantastic. just rough.

to the next poster: yes, definitely going to take it to my technician to have a wire transplanted to a switched source. the running light does not come from the abs, right?
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:54 am »

The 1150TP is not CAN-Bus
THe brake lights do come from the ABS
check the bulbs, heck get a volt meter and do some basic checks, Ground/runniing lamp and brake signals
NO RTP had an option to turn off the tail lamps in any department it was used in, just spend a bit of time and look at it

The 1150RTP is a great bike and can be had for a song, congrats and enjoy

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15152

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:53:38 am »

The 1150TP is not CAN-Bus
THe brake lights do come from the ABS
check the bulbs, heck get a volt meter and do some basic checks, Ground/runniing lamp and brake signals
NO RTP had an option to turn off the tail lamps in any department it was used in, just spend a bit of time and look at it

The 1150RTP is a great bike and can be had for a song, congrats and enjoy

If you listen to only one person on this forum about issues like this, it is Andrew. He could rewire a bike with his eyes closed and his hands full of cookies. Or beer Beerchug

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:21:08 pm »

If you listen to only one person on this forum about issues like this, it is Andrew. He could rewire a bike with his eyes closed and his hands full of cookies. Or beer Beerchug

MMmm Cookies & Beer  Thumbsup

Congrats on the Job DD

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal