Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: too many tire weights ?  (Read 1423 times)

howardrichman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ; Yamaha 17 FJ-09
Miles Typed: 338

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »

07 ninja 650R

I just mounted a new tire I purchased from Revzilla. I've been replacing my bike tires for years myself w/a No-mar tire machine and balancer. I always balance the rim before I install the tire. The last tire I replaced was the Dunlop Roadsmart 2. I'm replacing it w/ the roadsmart 3. I install the tire w/ the mark; (on this tire is a yellow circle), which is supposed to be the lightest part of the tire on the heaviest part of the rim. The last tire change I used 2 -7GM weights, and on this new Roadsmart 3 tire it needs 8 weights to be balanced; 56GM's!!  I never had to use that many in all the bikes I had. Should I rotate tire in rim; or other method ? Is this normal off balance?
Should I demand a new tire?
                                                                                                                                               What to do?
                                                                                                                                                             Howie...

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:03:15 pm »

I don't balance my tires but in the forty + years I've seen my tires balanced I've never seen the rim balanced prior to mounting the new tire.  The rim is stripped of any old weights, tire mounted and balanced.  Only once in all that time did a (tire) require too many weights to properly balance and that was after experimenting with moving the tire around the rim just in case.  A fat (too heavy in one spot) tire is defective IMO.

Ride em if ya got em...
howardrichman

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 08:52:06 pm »

Yep, that's what revzilla told me to do, rotate tire 180 deg.  I'll let you know how it goes. If doesn't help, I'll have to inform them to take it back.

Howie...
Advertisement

howardrichman

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:09:56 pm »

I turned the tire in rim 180 deg. and then 90 deg each way and still need 6-7 GM weights.  It still seems like too many when in the past tire changes I've only used 2 or 3 weights. I called Revzilla, and said Dunlop may be able to warrantee tire. I'll have to send in pics for review. Let youu know how it goes.                                                                                                                                                              

I talked w/ tech at local shop, said he was taught no more than 5oz. which is near 142 gms. and w/ 42gms (6-7gm weights) , I should be OK, and not bother w/ an exchange.

Howie..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:14:11 pm by howardrichman » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal