Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Farkleing Done...Ready for the Road...  (Read 1397 times)

zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:20:28 pm »

It's been over a month, or so it feels, but I finally got the last of it done.

Among the mods... (1) Went with a Givi windscreen over stock, (2) bar end protectors, (3) front fork protectors/sliders, (4) crash bars to protect the motor,...

...(5) frame plugs, (6) swingarm slider, (7) tank protector,...

...(8) rear fender/mudguard, and (9) hardware for Givi luggage.

All this work did come with it's share of drama.  😫

The windscreen didn't match up perfectly.  On my first attempt, I nearly stripped out a hole trying to get the fourth bolt to go in.  Givi said to manually start all the screws...flexing the windscreen as needed.  Once they were all started, all could be tightened down.  This is the first time I ever had this issue with a Givi windscreen.  My last one went on perfectly the first time.  Thankfully their workaround prevented me from having to return it and buy something else.

I first bought a Puig mudguard which looked better than the Powerbronze I ended up with, BUT it didn't sit straight and could not be adjusted.  They apparently didn't cut the mounting holes properly on the one I got.  Still, researching while trying to see if it could be "fixed" revealed that many others had issues with them holding up (poor design on how it mounts), so I opted to not try another one and went with Powerbronze.

The Givi hardware had many headaches.  Both the first top case mounting kit I ordered and the side case mounting hardware said it would not worth with OEM BMW hardware.  This wasn't an issue with the side cases as you take off the BMW hardware to mount the Givi hardware.  For the top case, there are two sets of "grab handles" depending on if you got the Touring Package or not.  The kit I ordered in no way mentioned this difference, and I spent HOURS trying to figure out why it wouldn't fit until I caught a corner of the illustration and said, "That doesn't look like the part on my bike."  I called BMW, and indeed there were two sets of parts.  To get the other style would be $500 for the set.  Fortunately, Givi makes an adapter plate that goes on the Touring Package grab handle.  Even then, the spacers and bolts were the wrong length.  I added oversized nuts as extra spacers and cut down two bolts to make it fit properly.  I've forwarded my findings to Givi so they can reassess the part kit.  I don't know if BMW made changes in the 2018 model, but this should not have happened.

I didn't get an option on side cases.  Only the V35 will go with this bike.  The big drawback is that these use the new security key and not the standard one.  I bought a re-keying kit for all three cases only to learn they were not interchangeable (security keys are longer tumblers).  Had I ordered a top case that used a security key, my side cases came with a spare tumbler and extra keys.  Live and learn....

But...FINALLY...it's ready for the road.  I still need to get the vehicle inspection decal this coming week.

The only farkle still outstanding is the GPS.  The Navigator VI I got with the bike doesn't work properly.  After much back-and-forth with Garmin, they agree something is wrong with my unit and will replace it.

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2218

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 03:21:55 pm »

Very nice. Looks like you are all set up.

Too bad it ain't blue.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:41:43 pm »

Looks really good and you have done a lot right out of the gate.  Thumbsup
Advertisement

UFO

Reputation 191

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13213

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »

How do you like it?

I considered an RS, but the local BMW dealer was less than helpful. They had no RSs or XRs in stock and had no interest in getting any, but were more than willing to make me a deal on one of the 800 GSs they had in stock.

I didn't by an RS obviously.

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE - H2SXRiders.net - Ride Fast . . . Ride Far
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »

How do you like it?

I considered an RS, but the local BMW dealer was less than helpful. They had no RSs or XRs in stock and had no interest in getting any, but were more than willing to make me a deal on one of the 800 GSs they had in stock.

I didn't by an RS obviously.

I haven’t ridden it enough to say.  My test ride made me want to consider it as a future bike, and I was looking to replace a XX.  Of the BMW shops near me, they had what they had and only one had it in black.

I still have yet to put 600 miles on it for the first oil change.  It does impress me as comfortable and peppy and suited for long trips.

rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1615

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 01:35:26 pm »

Hey hey

A bike with a good back seat  Thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:54:26 pm by rajflyboy » Logged

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal