Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL - sell or specific trade  (Read 733 times)

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:52:11 pm »

We got hold of this car kind of oddly and neither time nor budget allows me to do what I really want with it. I'm also better off having a proper tow vehicle than a convertible. Shame.... super fun car to drive.

1986 Benz SL, v8, automatic, with a bit of slippage between first and second gears. Never slips once in gear, and in fact, will lay rubber as far as you wish. Nice and torquey. All original, but definitely not showroom or collector grade. It's aged and shows it, but she's still a classy lady who can get it done.

My plan had been to take care of the few spots on the body that need attention, get it shot with a nice deep green or something, inside and out, and scrounge whatever I could for new seats. Or get these re-covered in an appropriate shade, then drive it 'til it dies, mostly leaving the hard top off. What people want for authentic Benz parts is flat out stupid.

But alas, I don't have the budget to give it its due attention, and I'd prefer to spend my energies and what little monies I can on my existing hobbies. I haven't done car resto for a long time, and I'm no longer equipped, or have the time and attention, to give it justice.

178k miles, fully stock, most things work. What I have found with this car, though, is it starts every single time, it goes and stops well (ABS works, got a full test this past Winter), and I would literally hop in it right now and drive it anywhere. I've come to trust it fully.

$3500 obo, or trade for an Explorer, Tahoe or Suburban, or *maybe* an F150 pickup, suitable for reasonable towing in good condition.

I want to emphasize again, this is NOT an example of the $20,000 babied and pristine versions you see of these some times. This is well used, but in good shape for the age and use.

Typical things apply; test drive with full cash in hand, I can help get it to you for fees, deposit to hold it, clear title, blah, blah, blah.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:15:22 pm »

NeedPics

Have a nice day.  Smile

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal