Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: ...to Judith Gap, Montana [mostly photographs]  (Read 9818 times)

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Guzzi Daytona, Guzzi Stelvio
GPS: Kansas
Miles Typed: 1001

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:09 am »

Judith Gap is between two mountains in central Montana: the Little Belt  Mountains and the Big Snowy Mountains.  It is the natural north-south  route that has been used for centuries, perhaps most famously by Chief  Joseph and his bands of Nez Perce during the Nez Perce War of 1877.

Montana-191 is the highway over the gap; it's a road I've not ever  ridden.  That's my goal for this trip.  The rest of this seemingly  random route was just avoiding rain (as best I could), although I did manage  to hit a few more stretches of roads that were new to me (especially in North  Dakota).

Kansas

Nickerson, Kansas.  It's an unfortunate thing that many of the  small-town cafes in the Great Plains are either going out-of-business, currently  out-of-business, or just opening up for yet another try at it.  I caught  the Sunshine cafe for breakfast on a day that it was open for business.

This is post-rock country.  You don't need much imagination to know how  treeless this area once was.  You want fence posts?  Then, cut them  out of the ground.

I'd be riding in a strong forty mph tailwind that would switch round to a  strong forty mph headwind within just ten miles.  Crazy weather.   Later that night I'd hear that the storm you see (below) contained a few  tornadoes as well as golf ball size hail.  I avoided anything that serious.

Nebraska

This time of year, you've got to expect anything.  It's pretty cold;  in staying in the high thirty degrees all morning.

Add a little rain...

I do like the panhandle region of Nebraska.  Except for the map, you'd  figure that you were in Wyoming.  Even the time zone is Wyoming time (not  Omaha time).  I'd even suppose that the locals cheer on the Wyoming Cowboys  over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

I'd be leaning over because of the strong side-wind while the clouds are  moving in a different direction.  Strange.

A little bit of sun is welcome.

Wyoming

Lusk, Wyoming water tower (built 1886).  There are not many existing  wood water towers that have not been dismantled.  This one looks in fine  shape.  Evidently, the tank is made from Redwood.

Keep an eye for Pronghorns.

If you've ever ridden through coal-country in West Virginia, you'll wonder  why they even bother when compared to the vast operations in the Wyoming Thunder  Basin.

Montana

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:33 am »

Broadus, Montana.  I guess I'm just unlucky, but every time I've been  through Broadus, I've had to ride several miles of road-construction dirt.   No matter; it's smooth enough.   The wait at the light is about thirty  minutes.

Colstrip, Montana.  This my look like a large operation, but compared to  the Wyoming mines, it's pretty small.

The tracks into Colstrip don't look much used.  Perhaps most all the  mined coal is consumed by the power station.

Forsyth, Montana.

Fine dining (as it says) at the Joseph Cafe.

Vananda school (built 1920).  These remote towns live and die with the  railroad.  The railroad has long pulled up the tracks, so the town is gone  as well.  It's likely that the land didn't turn out to be so bountiful as  was first advertised, either.

You don't need to worry much about traffic in this part of Montana; but,  you'd best keep your tank filled when you have the opportunity.  The small  towns might have fuel, but you shouldn't count on the station being open.

Roundup, Montana.

Harlowton, Montana.

Harlowton once had a roundhouse and was the center of railroading in this  part of Montana.  I believe the high school team is called the  “engineers.”  But, there are no trains.

Morning at the Harlowton cafe.  This is where I'll turn north towards  Judith Gap.

Looking south to the Beartooth Mountains.  I  don't expect the  self-named pass is open yet.

That's the Little Belt Mountains (on the left) and the Big Snowy Mountains (on the  right).  This is Judith Gap, straight through the middle.

Judith Gap, Montana.  There is rail traffic through the gap.

Lewistown, Montana.

Lewistown Cemetery.  My great-grandmother, Antonette (Benda) Kalal was  born in Radětice, Bohemia in 1856.  She emigrated to Chicago and then moved  (with her children) to Roy Montana, which is not far from here.

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:59 am »

It's a large cemetery, and I was not optimistic about finding the marker;  but, I walked right to it within five minutes of starting my search.   John Martin is one of her sons.

Roy, Montana.  It was never large, but it was once much more than this.

'R' is for Roy.

My grandfather (one of Antonnette's sons) was a founding member of the  American Legion Post of Roy (which was once named for him), but these days  it's just the Legion Bar, without any connection to what it once was.

Looking south towards the last peak of the Snowy Mountains.  Roy is just  to the right (out of the photograph).

The Missouri River. The water is very high.

The Little Rocky Mountains, riding north.

The Bearpaw Mountains.  We're not far from the end of the Nez Perce trek  towards Canada and freedom.  Most would never make it across the border.

Looking north over the Milk River valley.

The Bearpaw Battlefield.  The Nez Perce were only forty miles from  Canada, but after so many escapes from the army, they were engaged in a siege  battle that they could not win.

The map (on a display board) shows their long walk from Oregon,  Washington and Idaho to this spot, just south of Canada.

Tell General Howard I know his heart. What he told  me before, I have it in my heart. I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are  killed; Looking Glass is dead, Too-hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all  dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led on the young men is  dead. It is cold, and we have no blankets; the little children are freezing  to death. My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no  blankets, no food. No one knows where they are perhaps freezing to death. I  want to have time to look for my children, to see how many I can find. Maybe  I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart  is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more  forever.

-- Hinmatóowyalahtq̓it (Chief Joseph)

The stone (third photo below) marks where one of the Nez Perce leaders  fell.  You'll see little trinkets and mementos at other such markers  (as is the case at all Indian battlefields I've been to).

This land must be as close to what it once was as could be expected.   The nearest town is Chinook, twenty miles to the north.  The road to the  south soon turns to dirt, so you won't hear any traffic.  All I heard were  the many birds.

Chinook, Montana.

The Chinook SugarBeeters.  Are they the “fighting” SugarBeeters?   I don't know that sugar beets are even grown around here, anymore.

Advertisement

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:31:25 am »

Poplar, Montana.  Following the “highline” and the route of the Milk  River.

Culbertson, Montana.

Fairview, Montana.

North Dakota

Prairie potholes.  Thousands of them.

The Prairie Pothole Region is an area of the  northern Great Plains and midgrass and tallgrass prairies that contains  thousands of shallow wetlands known as potholes. These potholes are the  result of glacier activity in the Wisconsin glaciation, which ended about  10,000 years ago. The decaying ice sheet left behind depressions formed by  the uneven deposition of till in ground moraines. These depressions are  called potholes, glacial potholes, kettles, or kettle lakes. They fill with  water in the spring, creating wetlands which range in duration from  temporary to semipermanent.

The region covers an area of about  276,000 sq mi, including parts of three Canadian provinces (Saskatchewan,  Manitoba, and Alberta) and five U.S. states (Minnesota, Iowa, North and  South Dakota, and Montana).

--Wikipedia.org

In this satellite photograph, the road I'm on can be seen at the bottom.

Wing, North Dakota.

I've just come through this storm, and I'm still wet.

Linton, North Dakota.

Ashley, North Dakota.

South Dakota

It's our duty.  If we do our bit to move rocks from the field to these  piles, the next generation will have it easier.  And, so forth...

Crossing the Missouri River.

That's Nebraska over there.

Nebraska

Verdigre, Nebraska is one of several Bohemian towns from Texas to Montana.

I intended to have a kolache (koláč), but the woman behind the counter  said that she only made batches that are sold by the tray.  She said  the town just isn't big enough to support singles--and they're such a lot of  work to make.  So, I'll have this raspberry thing with my coffee.

Elgin, Nebraska.

Albion, Nebraska.

Sometimes i wonder if they're even trying to make a profit at these  little cafes.  You get an awful lot of really good food for not much.   The trick is always to ignore the menu and just order whatever is on the  chalk board that day.

Kansas

Perhaps the weather was not always the best, but for the most part it was  just fine.  It's good to have ridden through Judith Gap.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15163

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:10:28 pm »

Fantastic as always, Daniel!

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:21 pm »

I love the open space out west. Thanks for the great pics!

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:13 pm »

Nice pics.  Have ridden a few of those roads myself and pics just can’t fully show the vastness surrounding those roads.  When my son and I rode over Beartooth and points north after leaving Yellowstone we rode for hours and hours with no (cover) in sight.  Was a hot day too and finally somewhere in central Montana I spotted an oasis up ahead on our right.  We turned up a gravel road to find that it was a cemetary with large shade trees all over.  Shade at last!  Inlove  We needed a break anyway.  Oh, no more food pics ok? Lol

Ride em if ya got em...
DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:34 pm »

Excellent as always Daniel and luck was on your side to find the grave makers so quickly.
slayman

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 1984 Kawi GPZ 550, 05 ZZR 1200
GPS: Lankaster PA
Miles Typed: 311

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:49:04 pm »

Thanks Daniel. Great photos and story. I had me first taste of riding in the West last summer, including Beartooth. I can't wait to get back.
tankhead
I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference.

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Supere Tenere
Miles Typed: 785

My Photo Gallery

One time and one time only.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 11:28:21 am »

WOW.  Thanks so much for posting.  Wonderful pictures.
jay547

Reputation 259

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 11:48:56 am »

Thumbsup

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
UFO

Reputation 226

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13218

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 01:25:39 pm »

Going to move this to Ride Reports Thumbsup

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Webmaster - http://h2sxriders.net - Ride Fast ... Ride Far
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1898

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »

Nice

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15163

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 03:24:26 pm »

Going to move this to Ride Reports Thumbsup

Lol  I hadn't even noticed that it wasn't there already!

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3498

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 11:23:53 am »

Great photos as usual.

The Colstrip plant is in the process of being shut down as part of Puget Sound Energy's push to become a greener energy company.'

Many millions will be spent figuring out the future of the town.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
spinalator
Man can not live on cheese alone...

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: Super Tenere
GPS: Regina, SK
Miles Typed: 1562

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 04:02:53 pm »

Great report!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal