Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Can some new motorcycles get any Uglier?  (Read 5149 times)

SLK50

Reputation 43

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 07:57:12 am »

I’m still trying to figure out ....

Is Guzzi pronounced with a T or not  Lol

Guttzi

We’ve had this discussion before. Pay attention.
It’s pronounced “Goot Zee”. Sheesh.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »

Just like Peet Zah

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
rajflyboy

Reputation 367

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1675

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 12:53:44 pm »

I don’t see a T in there anywhere.  It’s Gooozie to me  Lol

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Advertisement

zebraranger

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2016 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 SE, 13 Triumph Trophy SE
GPS: Florida
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:42 pm »

This is so familiar, yes, I think we've had this exact conversation before.

2016 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V SE, 2013 Triumph Bonneville, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird
rajflyboy

Reputation 367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »

I do agree with you.  The Moto Goozie is not Ugly.  

UFO

Reputation 191

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13213

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 02:41:27 pm »

It's kinda cool looking actually. But the bags are a joke, as is the rear subframe and seat. The realistic/production level version of this is already being made....

https://i.imgur.com/PchiTNx.jpg

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/052918top-i.jpg

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE - H2SXRiders.net - Ride Fast . . . Ride Far
Biking Sailor

Reputation 56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 857

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 07:33:00 pm »

To paraphrase Pete Roper, "When you're riding a Guzzi, you know you're riding a real motorbike. Not some sits down to pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end".   Bigsmile

I would only recommend an experienced rider that is accomplished at wrenching his own bikes to own a Guzzi. Not a beginners bike.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
rajflyboy

Reputation 367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 09:03:49 pm »

It's kinda cool looking actually. But the bags are a joke, as is the rear subframe and seat. The realistic/production level version of this is already being made....

https://i.imgur.com/PchiTNx.jpg

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/052918top-i.jpg

It’s not as sexy as the Top Gun Kawasaki GPZ (with military insignia)

Lol

Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 995

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 08:48:23 pm »

To paraphrase Pete Roper, "When you're riding a Guzzi, you know you're riding a real motorbike. Not some sits down to pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end".   Bigsmile

I would only recommend an experienced rider that is accomplished at wrenching his own bikes to own a Guzzi. Not a beginners bike.
That is an acknowledgement that Guzzi owners will NEED to wrench on their own bike.

I don't get why that is such an attractive proposition, when you're about to embark on a 1500 mile road trip. Is it fun for Guzzi owners to be stranded or something? 🤔

-Jeremy
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 01:19:51 am »

That is an acknowledgement that Guzzi owners will NEED to wrench on their own bike.

I don't get why that is such an attractive proposition, when you're about to embark on a 1500 mile road trip. Is it fun for Guzzi owners to be stranded or something? 🤔

It's bullshit. You don't need to wrench on Guzzis...but you can set your own valves in 15 minutes. Oil change is a piece of cake. They lend themselves to DIY rather than always going to a dealer. Intelligent design. Actually quite reliable, as compared to say
 a Honda.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:43:08 pm by motrhead » Logged

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Biking Sailor

Reputation 56

Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 08:03:50 am »

All bikes require maintenance, Guzzi dealer network requires you to do it yourself.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 08:57:14 am »

All bikes require maintenance, Guzzi dealer network requires you to do it yourself.

My Guzzi only stranded me once (in hindsight it was probably MY fault) and I was 5 miles from the shop.  Not bad considering I lived 25 miles away.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  As close to a modern Airhead as you can buy today.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
rajflyboy

Reputation 367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 11:51:21 am »

My Guzzi only stranded me once (in hindsight it was probably MY fault) and I was 5 miles from the shop.  Not bad considering I lived 25 miles away.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  As close to a modern Airhead as you can buy today.

You should have remembered to put some gas in her  Lol

Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 12:13:52 pm »

It's bullshit. You don't need to wrench on Guzzis...but you can set your own valves in 15 minutes. Oil change is a piece of cake.

Well, as long as we're calling BS on each other, I call BS on setting valves in 15 minutes. On ANY bike.

Yes, it may be faster with exposed heads and with the old jamb nut system, but it does take longer than 15 minutes and is required a lot more frequently.

They lend themselves to DIY rather than always going to a dealer. Intelligent design. Actually quite reliable, as compared to say
 a Honda.

Oh, Guzzis are more reliable than Hondas now? I'm afraid you've lost all credibility with that statement, especially right after the earlier posts about electrics not being weather proof and wearing out regularly well before they should.

I understand they're nice bikes, with CHARACTER and a certain style to them. But the Guzzi owners here seem to just downplay the problems they've had (even being stranded) and forget that it wouldn't have happened on a similar Jap bike. If you're willing to pay that price, fine. But don't downplay it.

-Jeremy
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 01:42:26 pm »

First I'm a millwright, so I know my way around tools. I timed it. It was 15 minutes on my Stelvio, no shit. YMMV.
 I am saying as reliable as Hondas no more. But I have had plenty of Honda problems, so statistically for me, Guzzi has been better. BTW, I wasn't the one with the Guzzi troubles...that was someone else.
 I have 20 bikes...owned 40 a least. Had to  ride 2 km in first gear on my Lemans once. Never been stranded by a Guzzi. I have been stranded by Hondas...and my RZ. Cam chain tensioner and stators on Hondas.

rajflyboy

Reputation 367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 07:15:09 pm »

Well, as long as we're calling BS on each other, I call BS on setting valves in 15 minutes. On ANY bike.

Yes, it may be faster with exposed heads and with the old jamb nut system, but it does take longer than 15 minutes and is required a lot more frequently.

Oh, Guzzis are more reliable than Hondas now? I'm afraid you've lost all credibility with that statement, especially right after the earlier posts about electrics not being weather proof and wearing out regularly well before they should.

I understand they're nice bikes, with CHARACTER and a certain style to them. But the Guzzi owners here seem to just downplay the problems they've had (even being stranded) and forget that it wouldn't have happened on a similar Jap bike. If you're willing to pay that price, fine. But don't downplay it.

This  Thumbsup

Biking Sailor

Reputation 56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »

On a Guzzi,  put it on the center stand and shift it up to top gear. pull off the valve covers and spark plugs. Drop a straw down into the left cylinder  and rotate the back wheel till the piston is at the top and both rockers are loose. Set the exhaust at .006 and the intake at .004 with the screw and locknut. Move to the other side and repeat process, finding TDC on that side of course. Put the covers and plugs back on and you're all done. Recommend it be done every 6250 miles. I was slow and it would take me 1/2 an hour with a couple beers.

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:36 pm »

This  Thumbsup

Twofinger
 Read what I wrote.

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 10:41:47 pm »

On a Guzzi,  put it on the center stand and shift it up to top gear. pull off the valve covers and spark plugs. Drop a straw down into the left cylinder  and rotate the back wheel till the piston is at the top and both rockers are loose. Set the exhaust at .006 and the intake at .004 with the screw and locknut. Move to the other side and repeat process, finding TDC on that side of course. Put the covers and plugs back on and you're all done. Recommend it be done every 6250 miles. I was slow and it would take me 1/2 an hour with a couple beers.

Exactly. The day I did my Stelvio, I was in a hurry, so 15 minutes. Normally I would have a beer and take maybe  20 casual minutes, but the Stelvio is exceptionally easy/ accessible. . I use the straw method myself. More like 15-20K km intervals for me.

Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 12:03:30 am »

Checking or setting valves every 6250 is for chumps.

Every 6250 miles on my Honda, I just change the oil. No need to jerk around with valves.

I guess you make up for it with lack of chain maintenance though... I have to admit that chain maintenance is ALSO for chumps.

What's the recommended maintenance interval on the splines of a Guzzi shaft? Every you're change is fair, I guess. Final drive oil?

-Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal