Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Wildlife encounters while riding ?  (Read 6178 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:10 pm »

Tell us your wildlife encounter stories.

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1106

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:38:55 am »

You first..... Bigsmile

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15152

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:25:07 am »

You first..... Bigsmile

rofl

I had a deer run into me on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I saw its friend run in front of me and I rolled off the throttle. Thinking that the excitement was over, I rolled back on the throttle, only to see the second deer come flying down the embankment towards me. Momentum was already giving the bike gas so I kept it up. The thing ran square into my rear pannier!

The bike hopped a bit to the right and the deer took a tumble but then continued running. I had a nice dent in my pannier to remind me of my forest rat encounter.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Advertisement

Formerly Known as Bigfoot

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yamaha RSV
Miles Typed: 2870

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:16 am »

You first..... Bigsmile

You'll be waiting a long time.
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1106

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:08:53 am »

Latest...

Last July.  Came over crest of hill on small backroad about 3 in the afternoon, running about 50 mph, and found a deer standing in the middle of the road about 10 ft in front of me.  Hit the brakes hard.  Tucked the front end.  Bike slide off the road.  I tumbled and ended up lying on my back looking back at the way I had come.  Deer ran away untouched. End results, bike totaled, knees and hands scraped up, gear ripped up, two hours spent at the doctor cleaning my knees and hands up, scars left on left knee and left hand.  Bike (2014 Thruxton) replaced with new to me one (2014 Ninja 650 w/abs). New helmet and much better gloves purchased with insurance money.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:50:03 am »

Mine's much less dramatic.  I was exiting the interstate and was on the ramp doing 50ish.  A opossum ran in front of me and I squished it in half and kept on rolling.  I was impressed the soft cast BMW mag didn't bend.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2381

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:36:43 am »

I've run over snakes. Had a rattler strike at me even. Hit several types of birds. Seen many deer but been lucky enough not to hit one.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1096

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:32 pm »

Had a robin fly into my then WeeStrom as I was ripping along a freeway section at about 70. Feathers exploded everywhere from under the main fairing. Got home and id'd it as a robin because of all the red chest feathers.

Had a peregrine fgalcom come VERY close to clipping me on the head as i was riding through the Kootenays.

Came around a sharp corner on the Pend Oreille River, and there was a fat Tom Turkey jusy standing in the road.

Inumerable emerg braking manoeuvres over the years because of forest rats, but no collisions.

Ran over some sort of snake when coming through the Grand Coulee several years back.

Got bombarded by crab apples in a campground as the trash pandas were overhead harvesting the fruit.
Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 997

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 01:38:12 pm »

1 - Was riding my scooter in the country on a hot summer night. It had a pretty crappy headlight, so I didn't see the deer until she was 50' in front of me. I grabbed the brakes a bit too hard, locked up the front and the bike disappeared out from under me at 45 mph. Went for a good tumble that night. Full face helmet probably saved me brain damage and jaw surgery at the least. Fleece jacket on the top saved me from road rash; just got a bit of rugburn. On the bottom, I was wearing shorts and Crocs; got some significant road rash there... The scooter was a Taiwanese one; they were very proud of having a disc brake with that 10" front wheel, but it turned out to be too strong for emergency braking on adrenaline.

2 - Was out riding on a summer night on my FJR.  Deer was crossing the highway. I got on the brakes in a firm but controlled manner, but would have locked up the rear if not for ABS. Only needed new  underwear after that one.

3 - Wife and I were out on the Concours for a night ride. (see a pattern here?) We crested a  hill and there was a huge raccoon, ambling across. I knew not to try to swerve or brake, so we just ran him over. Felt like a speed bump. I briefly saw him thrashing around in the ditch in my side mirror. Wife said: "What the hell was THAT!?" No injury to us or the bike.

4 - Out for a ride in the Wisconsin countryside on a fall day. Leading a group. There was a deer off to the left of the road maybe 30 yards eating on a cut cornfield. It was faced away from us, I decided to give a quick beep of the horn so she'd either stay or run away toward the woods. But of course she bolted right in front of us instead. I braked and just missed that big idiot. Guy behind just missed me; would have hit me if we weren't riding staggered. No crashes.

My lessons:

- If possible; don't ride at night
- If I must ride at night, ride slowly.
- It's probably better to hit anything deer size or smaller than crash trying NOT to hit it. Might vary for moose, cows, elk...
- ABS pays for itself if it works one time

-Jeremy
Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 02:04:53 pm »

Had a robin fly into my then WeeStrom as I was ripping along a freeway section at about 70. Feathers exploded everywhere from under the main fairing. Got home and id'd it as a robin because of all the red chest feathers.

Had a peregrine fgalcom come VERY close to clipping me on the head as i was riding through the Kootenays.

Came around a sharp corner on the Pend Oreille River, and there was a fat Tom Turkey jusy standing in the road.

Inumerable emerg braking manoeuvres over the years because of forest rats, but no collisions.

Ran over some sort of snake when coming through the Grand Coulee several years back.

Got bombarded by crab apples in a campground as the trash pandas were overhead harvesting the fruit.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 02:17:53 pm »

Tell us your wildlife encounter stories.

You first..... Bigsmile

Still waiting  :popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
jay547

Reputation 258

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3068

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:46:55 pm »

I've never even had a close call with anything substantial other than a dead deer. Lisa and I were riding two-up down one of the local twisty-tight roads. We caught up to a pick up truck who obviously wasn't going to pull over or allow us an easy pass. I would back off, then wait for a chance to pass, then run up on him. We did this a couple of times, but each time we met either traffic or a blind curve. I tried it one more time and as I caught up, he slowed but didn't brake. He straddled a dead deer, didn't even give me the courtesy of a brake tap. Luckily, I only ran over it's legs. It would've been bad Wow

I hit a dog once. I was riding through a neighborhood about 20mph. He was hiding behind a bush and ran out to attack. He ran right into my tire, bounced down the road a bit, then got up and started chasing me again. I'm pretty sure he didn't live a long life.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 06:18:38 am »

Still waiting  :popcorn:

I hope you have lots of popcorn.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 06:36:48 am »

I hope you have lots of popcorn.

Doesn't really matter, as I will have enough time to go to the store and buy some more. I mean, I'm not really expecting an answer anyway  Rolleyes

Member since 2003
Big Sarg

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2013 Kawi ZX-14R / 2003 Kawi ZX-6R
Miles Typed: 78

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 10:50:29 am »

I once had a bird strike me in the shoulder while doing about 60 MPH; I was glad I was wearing leather.  I ran a squirrel over mid corner at a fairly good lean angle; I was surprised how little it upset the bike.  I've had a couple other close encounters with deer, turkeys and other small animals.  The wildlife encounter which freaked me out the most though was a yellow jacket flying inside my helmet.  I was pulling away from a stop and had my visor cracked open.  I must have looked like a lunatic to anyone who saw me as I flailed away fearing I was about to possibly get stung in the eye.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '07 Norge, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1121

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 01:18:06 pm »

The wildlife encounter which freaked me out the most though was a yellow jacket flying inside my helmet.  I was pulling away from a stop and had my visor cracked open.  I must have looked like a lunatic to anyone who saw me as I flailed away fearing I was about to possibly get stung in the eye.

I got stung 7 times beside my eye (temple side) , by a wasp. 2 days later I was unrecognizable! That was brutal!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »

I got stung 7 times beside my eye (temple side) , by a wasp. 2 days later I was unrecognizable! That was brutal!

Oh, I remember that day That must have hurt a lot!
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda ST1300A
Miles Typed: 98

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »

I was riding on 211 toward Sperryville, VA on a beautiful sunny day.  Decided to forgo wearing a riding jacket(had a dri fit t shirt) and wore pair a Joe Rocket Summer riding pants and a bee got caught in my shirt and stung me in the left side of my lower back.  Then it got unstuck and the stung me through my riding pants in my right butt cheek.  Oh, and wife was riding with me.  Luckily she didn't see the bee until I had pulled over and I started dancing around on the bike. . . . I seen a ton off animals on the side of the road, but none have decided to challenge my ST😊

Maybe they've heard my reputation at work, at last count I've killed 16 deer, 2 bats, 1 small gray bird(all I saw was a puff of gray feathers explode above my grill), and 2 or 3 possums(over a 14 year period) . . And none of those disabled my crown vics . .
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 04:06:52 am »

I was riding on 211 toward Sperryville, VA on a beautiful sunny day.  Decided to forgo wearing a riding jacket(had a dri fit t shirt) and wore pair a Joe Rocket Summer riding pants and a bee got caught in my shirt and stung me in the left side of my lower back.  Then it got unstuck and the stung me through my riding pants in my right butt cheek.  Oh, and wife was riding with me.  Luckily she didn't see the bee until I had pulled over and I started dancing around on the bike. . . . I seen a ton off animals on the side of the road, but none have decided to challenge my ST😊

Maybe they've heard my reputation at work, at last count I've killed 16 deer, 2 bats, 1 small gray bird(all I saw was a puff of gray feathers explode above my grill), and 2 or 3 possums(over a 14 year period) . . And none of those disabled my crown vics . .
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My closest Deer strike on my bike occurred on 211 also heading to Sperryville.  I hit about 60 and the deer came out of the tall grass in the median.  He was coming so fast that I barely had time to start releasing the throttle.  I actually gritted and waited for the strike.  He ran in front of me and I bet I didn't miss him by 1-3 inches at best.  I got pulled over and it took my heart about 10 minutes to settle down enough to take off again.  But slower this time.
Biking Sailor

Reputation 60

Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 876

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »

Had a Brittany Spaniel come out of the tall grass beside a two lane highway and took me down at 65 mph. Totaled out 1982 Sabre. This was in 1986 exactly one month before I was to get married. Not hurt much but still sore on the honeymoon.

Hit a rabbit mid corner of a high speed sweeper on my Guzzi 1200 Sport. Saw the rabbit running across my path but too committed in the curve to do anything but just stay on the throttle. Felt the front hit it and slid a little but never felt it on the back tire. A few miles later came to a highway intersection and got a whiff of what I thought must have been a chicken plant (yes this was in NW Arkansas). When I looked down to put my kickstand down, I saw the remains all over the side of my bike. The rabbits headless body was stuck between the left header and block.

Hit a 190 lbs., 9 point buck going about 85 mph on my Guzzi Stelvio. He jumped a guard rail right in front of me, I hit him mid torso and didn't even have time to squeeze the brake lever that I had two fingers over. Flew over the handlebars and deer and tumbled down the road a bit. Just a little sore from that one too. I did get the rack, about 10 lbs of jerky and 20 lbs of ground venison.

I also got brushed by a turkey vulture wing once. That was pretty scary.  I've hit too many squirrels, birds, snakes and such to count.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal