Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Wildlife encounters while riding ?  (Read 3857 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1615

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:10 pm »

Tell us your wildlife encounter stories.

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 88

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1093

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:38:55 am »

You first..... Bigsmile

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 76

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15109

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:25:07 am »

You first..... Bigsmile

rofl

I had a deer run into me on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I saw its friend run in front of me and I rolled off the throttle. Thinking that the excitement was over, I rolled back on the throttle, only to see the second deer come flying down the embankment towards me. Momentum was already giving the bike gas so I kept it up. The thing ran square into my rear pannier!

The bike hopped a bit to the right and the deer took a tumble but then continued running. I had a nice dent in my pannier to remind me of my forest rat encounter.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Advertisement

Formerly Known as Bigfoot

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yamaha RSV
Miles Typed: 2870

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:16 am »

You first..... Bigsmile

You'll be waiting a long time.
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 88

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1093

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:08:53 am »

Latest...

Last July.  Came over crest of hill on small backroad about 3 in the afternoon, running about 50 mph, and found a deer standing in the middle of the road about 10 ft in front of me.  Hit the brakes hard.  Tucked the front end.  Bike slide off the road.  I tumbled and ended up lying on my back looking back at the way I had come.  Deer ran away untouched. End results, bike totaled, knees and hands scraped up, gear ripped up, two hours spent at the doctor cleaning my knees and hands up, scars left on left knee and left hand.  Bike (2014 Thruxton) replaced with new to me one (2014 Ninja 650 w/abs). New helmet and much better gloves purchased with insurance money.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:50:03 am »

Mine's much less dramatic.  I was exiting the interstate and was on the ramp doing 50ish.  A opossum ran in front of me and I squished it in half and kept on rolling.  I was impressed the soft cast BMW mag didn't bend.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2216

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:36:43 am »

I've run over snakes. Had a rattler strike at me even. Hit several types of birds. Seen many deer but been lucky enough not to hit one.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
Oxblood

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1089

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:32 pm »

Had a robin fly into my then WeeStrom as I was ripping along a freeway section at about 70. Feathers exploded everywhere from under the main fairing. Got home and id'd it as a robin because of all the red chest feathers.

Had a peregrine fgalcom come VERY close to clipping me on the head as i was riding through the Kootenays.

Came around a sharp corner on the Pend Oreille River, and there was a fat Tom Turkey jusy standing in the road.

Inumerable emerg braking manoeuvres over the years because of forest rats, but no collisions.

Ran over some sort of snake when coming through the Grand Coulee several years back.

Got bombarded by crab apples in a campground as the trash pandas were overhead harvesting the fruit.
Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 995

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 01:38:12 pm »

1 - Was riding my scooter in the country on a hot summer night. It had a pretty crappy headlight, so I didn't see the deer until she was 50' in front of me. I grabbed the brakes a bit too hard, locked up the front and the bike disappeared out from under me at 45 mph. Went for a good tumble that night. Full face helmet probably saved me brain damage and jaw surgery at the least. Fleece jacket on the top saved me from road rash; just got a bit of rugburn. On the bottom, I was wearing shorts and Crocs; got some significant road rash there... The scooter was a Taiwanese one; they were very proud of having a disc brake with that 10" front wheel, but it turned out to be too strong for emergency braking on adrenaline.

2 - Was out riding on a summer night on my FJR.  Deer was crossing the highway. I got on the brakes in a firm but controlled manner, but would have locked up the rear if not for ABS. Only needed new  underwear after that one.

3 - Wife and I were out on the Concours for a night ride. (see a pattern here?) We crested a  hill and there was a huge raccoon, ambling across. I knew not to try to swerve or brake, so we just ran him over. Felt like a speed bump. I briefly saw him thrashing around in the ditch in my side mirror. Wife said: "What the hell was THAT!?" No injury to us or the bike.

4 - Out for a ride in the Wisconsin countryside on a fall day. Leading a group. There was a deer off to the left of the road maybe 30 yards eating on a cut cornfield. It was faced away from us, I decided to give a quick beep of the horn so she'd either stay or run away toward the woods. But of course she bolted right in front of us instead. I braked and just missed that big idiot. Guy behind just missed me; would have hit me if we weren't riding staggered. No crashes.

My lessons:

- If possible; don't ride at night
- If I must ride at night, ride slowly.
- It's probably better to hit anything deer size or smaller than crash trying NOT to hit it. Might vary for moose, cows, elk...
- ABS pays for itself if it works one time

-Jeremy
Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 02:04:53 pm »

Had a robin fly into my then WeeStrom as I was ripping along a freeway section at about 70. Feathers exploded everywhere from under the main fairing. Got home and id'd it as a robin because of all the red chest feathers.

Had a peregrine fgalcom come VERY close to clipping me on the head as i was riding through the Kootenays.

Came around a sharp corner on the Pend Oreille River, and there was a fat Tom Turkey jusy standing in the road.

Inumerable emerg braking manoeuvres over the years because of forest rats, but no collisions.

Ran over some sort of snake when coming through the Grand Coulee several years back.

Got bombarded by crab apples in a campground as the trash pandas were overhead harvesting the fruit.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 76

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 02:17:53 pm »

Tell us your wildlife encounter stories.

You first..... Bigsmile

Still waiting  :popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
jay547

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2932

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:46:55 pm »

I've never even had a close call with anything substantial other than a dead deer. Lisa and I were riding two-up down one of the local twisty-tight roads. We caught up to a pick up truck who obviously wasn't going to pull over or allow us an easy pass. I would back off, then wait for a chance to pass, then run up on him. We did this a couple of times, but each time we met either traffic or a blind curve. I tried it one more time and as I caught up, he slowed but didn't brake. He straddled a dead deer, didn't even give me the courtesy of a brake tap. Luckily, I only ran over it's legs. It would've been bad Wow

I hit a dog once. I was riding through a neighborhood about 20mph. He was hiding behind a bush and ran out to attack. He ran right into my tire, bounced down the road a bit, then got up and started chasing me again. I'm pretty sure he didn't live a long life.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 06:18:38 am »

Still waiting  :popcorn:

I hope you have lots of popcorn.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 76

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 06:36:48 am »

I hope you have lots of popcorn.

Doesn't really matter, as I will have enough time to go to the store and buy some more. I mean, I'm not really expecting an answer anyway  Rolleyes

Member since 2003
Big Sarg

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2013 Kawi ZX-14R / 2003 Kawi ZX-6R
Miles Typed: 78

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 10:50:29 am »

I once had a bird strike me in the shoulder while doing about 60 MPH; I was glad I was wearing leather.  I ran a squirrel over mid corner at a fairly good lean angle; I was surprised how little it upset the bike.  I've had a couple other close encounters with deer, turkeys and other small animals.  The wildlife encounter which freaked me out the most though was a yellow jacket flying inside my helmet.  I was pulling away from a stop and had my visor cracked open.  I must have looked like a lunatic to anyone who saw me as I flailed away fearing I was about to possibly get stung in the eye.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 01:18:06 pm »

The wildlife encounter which freaked me out the most though was a yellow jacket flying inside my helmet.  I was pulling away from a stop and had my visor cracked open.  I must have looked like a lunatic to anyone who saw me as I flailed away fearing I was about to possibly get stung in the eye.

I got stung 7 times beside my eye (temple side) , by a wasp. 2 days later I was unrecognizable! That was brutal!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »

I got stung 7 times beside my eye (temple side) , by a wasp. 2 days later I was unrecognizable! That was brutal!

Oh, I remember that day That must have hurt a lot!
Hueyf4i

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda ST1300A
Miles Typed: 96

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »

I was riding on 211 toward Sperryville, VA on a beautiful sunny day.  Decided to forgo wearing a riding jacket(had a dri fit t shirt) and wore pair a Joe Rocket Summer riding pants and a bee got caught in my shirt and stung me in the left side of my lower back.  Then it got unstuck and the stung me through my riding pants in my right butt cheek.  Oh, and wife was riding with me.  Luckily she didn't see the bee until I had pulled over and I started dancing around on the bike. . . . I seen a ton off animals on the side of the road, but none have decided to challenge my ST😊

Maybe they've heard my reputation at work, at last count I've killed 16 deer, 2 bats, 1 small gray bird(all I saw was a puff of gray feathers explode above my grill), and 2 or 3 possums(over a 14 year period) . . And none of those disabled my crown vics . .
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 04:06:52 am »

I was riding on 211 toward Sperryville, VA on a beautiful sunny day.  Decided to forgo wearing a riding jacket(had a dri fit t shirt) and wore pair a Joe Rocket Summer riding pants and a bee got caught in my shirt and stung me in the left side of my lower back.  Then it got unstuck and the stung me through my riding pants in my right butt cheek.  Oh, and wife was riding with me.  Luckily she didn't see the bee until I had pulled over and I started dancing around on the bike. . . . I seen a ton off animals on the side of the road, but none have decided to challenge my ST😊

Maybe they've heard my reputation at work, at last count I've killed 16 deer, 2 bats, 1 small gray bird(all I saw was a puff of gray feathers explode above my grill), and 2 or 3 possums(over a 14 year period) . . And none of those disabled my crown vics . .
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My closest Deer strike on my bike occurred on 211 also heading to Sperryville.  I hit about 60 and the deer came out of the tall grass in the median.  He was coming so fast that I barely had time to start releasing the throttle.  I actually gritted and waited for the strike.  He ran in front of me and I bet I didn't miss him by 1-3 inches at best.  I got pulled over and it took my heart about 10 minutes to settle down enough to take off again.  But slower this time.
Biking Sailor

Reputation 56

Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 852

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »

Had a Brittany Spaniel come out of the tall grass beside a two lane highway and took me down at 65 mph. Totaled out 1982 Sabre. This was in 1986 exactly one month before I was to get married. Not hurt much but still sore on the honeymoon.

Hit a rabbit mid corner of a high speed sweeper on my Guzzi 1200 Sport. Saw the rabbit running across my path but too committed in the curve to do anything but just stay on the throttle. Felt the front hit it and slid a little but never felt it on the back tire. A few miles later came to a highway intersection and got a whiff of what I thought must have been a chicken plant (yes this was in NW Arkansas). When I looked down to put my kickstand down, I saw the remains all over the side of my bike. The rabbits headless body was stuck between the left header and block.

Hit a 190 lbs., 9 point buck going about 85 mph on my Guzzi Stelvio. He jumped a guard rail right in front of me, I hit him mid torso and didn't even have time to squeeze the brake lever that I had two fingers over. Flew over the handlebars and deer and tumbled down the road a bit. Just a little sore from that one too. I did get the rack, about 10 lbs of jerky and 20 lbs of ground venison.

I also got brushed by a turkey vulture wing once. That was pretty scary.  I've hit too many squirrels, birds, snakes and such to count.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
James

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 80 XS11lg, 59 Bonniville
GPS: Manhattan, KS
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 09:31:11 pm »

Going back to camp at Chama, NM from Chaco Canyon I looked up to see where the rain might be and looked back down to see a deer about 15' in front of me. Nailed him dead center, wedged between the fairing and the fender of my '79 XS11, thought "this isn't that bad", then the deer woke up. Shook itself loose, I rolled over it cutting it in half. Put the bike into a tank slapper and the road curved to the left and I went straight. I was probably down to 30 or so at that point and my plan was to push off the bike (15' drop) and roll to my left as I came down. Kinda stuck the landing instead. Sat up (head never hit the ground), pried open my visor, saw no one would see me where I was so walked back up to the road and sat down to see if anyone might come by- if not I was going to start walking to camp (~50 miles). Couldn't move my left arm, but it didn't hurt that bad, figured I'd dislocated it. Car comes by after 5 min., has a cell but it doesn't work ('99, I didn't have one), another car comes by in a few more and his cell works. 45 min for the cop, another 15 for the ambulance. By the time the cop arrives there are ~15 people around, all saying they were going to work. Middle of an Apache reservation with nothing bigger than a gas station for a billion miles, but that's their story. Anyway, talk to the cop, he gets the phone # for camp off the bike to call & tell them what happen and where I'll be, ambulance arrives and we take my jacket off, rather than cutting it, they do there thing & we load up & head to Farmington. Get there an hour later and eventually go to xray and find I've broken my scapula and clavicle on the left side. Eventually the guys at camp pick up my bike, come by to see how I am, go back to camp and take up a collection for a plane ticket. A week after the accident I have my clavicle plated and get told to hold still till I heal. Next?

James
Gravity always works.
RacinRay

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: FJR1300 VTX1800
GPS: Albany, NY
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:47 pm »

1. Banked over in a 50 mph sweeper and a cat ran out of the ditch. I caught it with my inside foot/footpeg.

2. Riding past a farmhouse and a flock of domestic geese get spooked by something and run across the road right in front of me.  One hit the front wheel, one hit my shoulder. Feathers everywhere.  Broke the front fender of my FJR.

3. Riding 70 mph on I-87 and a small deer t-bones me right in front of my right knee.  Smashed the fairing and tore off the saddlebag. Saddlebag dented the exhaust can and took the tail light and rear fender with it.  Just under $3k in damage.  I stayed upright and got to the shoulder of the road.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
RangerG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 1981 Yamaha Seca 550, 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Retro
GPS: Lloydminster, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 230

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »

I've hit a rabbit and some pretty big grasshoppers!

SECA 550, FZ1 Retro
Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 995

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 11:03:54 am »

I almost hit a deer this past Sunday.

Riding home from SW WI in pitch darkness, clear night. I knew to watch for the buggers.

Speed limit was 55 on mostly 2-lane rural highways.

It was close enough that if I were on a vintage bike with vintage headlight, I would've hit her.

All of a sudden, a deer was charging out right in front of me. I got on the brakes smooth and hard and just missed a big doe. The rest of the way home, I either went 45 or followed cars at whatever speed they were going, looking up ahead in their headlighting.

Next time, I'll ignore my friend and take the interstate home. It's just not worth the risk.

-Jeremy
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »

I almost hit a deer this past Sunday.

Riding home from SW WI in pitch darkness, clear night. I knew to watch for the buggers.

Speed limit was 55 on mostly 2-lane rural highways.

It was close enough that if I were on a vintage bike with vintage headlight, I would've hit her.

All of a sudden, a deer was charging out right in front of me. I got on the brakes smooth and hard and just missed a big doe. The rest of the way home, I either went 45 or followed cars at whatever speed they were going, looking up ahead in their headlighting.

Next time, I'll ignore my friend and take the interstate home. It's just not worth the risk.

You probably did a stoppie and didn’t even know it

AutoXer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW F800GT, 2015 Triumph Bonneville
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 212

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:29:00 pm »

Took off from a start, left the visor up a bit, closed it, and soon I see a yellow jacket crawling across the face shield.  Suddenly realized it was INSIDE the visor.  Did I mention I am allegic to bee stings?  Realization was followed by sutable levels of panic which intensified upon seeing there was no shoulder to pull off.  Found out how fast one can remove a helmet with a D-ring strap ...

West Virginia chipmunk, he thought he was a squirrel I guess as he changed course 5 times as I’m braking hard, he finally runs between my front and rear tire ...

Riding on Skyline Drive, dusk is fast approaching and I am thinking it’s definitely time to get off these roads because of the deer.  Pickup truck stops hard ahead of me for a deer, which walks right up to his window looking for a handout.  When none was forthcoming he came back to me, then moved to the car behind.

Riding through the Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania, two small deer run across the road, feet flailing away due to a lack of traction on the road surface.  Kinda funny.

Going to work in the suburbs, turn a corner and there is a HUGE eleventy-seven point buck standing at the edge of the road looking across the road, I assume he was tracking a female and getting ready to charge across.  I definitely would have lost to that guy.

HUGE groundhog crossing Rt 32 in Maryland.  At 5am.  It was dark.  I'd been watching to the right for deer (that particular stretch is a big deer kill zone) and saw it at the last second coming from the left side (the median).  I deked right while he continued right.  Felt a light thud, looked back in the mirror, and he had stopped and was standing there in the lane rubbing his nose.

Crawling down a one-lane dirt and gravel road through a swamp in Virginia (Garmin motorcycle GPS routing REALLY SUX!) and end up passing within a few feet of a huge Blue Heron standing by the road looking at me like “What are YOU doing here?”

Riding with my ladyfriend, suddenly hear through the communicator “mmmmm!  MMMMMM!!”  I think she’s messing with me and got irritated and said “You gotta use words, I have no idea what you are trying to say”.  Then I hear “MMMMM!!!!   MMMMM!!!” and she starts pounding on my shoulder.  I find a place to pull over and suddenly she’s ripping her helmet off and flailing away at something - turns out a bee had gotten in her helmet and was crawling across her face, thus she couldn’t open her mouth to tell me.

jZ

Just because I don't know where I am does not mean I am lost
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »

Auto

You are about due for better luck when it comes to animal encounters

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2216

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »

Auto is the King of animal finders!

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
blackbuell

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '75 YAM RD250, '07 Moto Guzzi Norge, '14 BMW F800GT, 2017 Indian Scout
GPS: Independence, KY
Miles Typed: 606

My Photo Gallery

formerly Yamabuell

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 07:03:51 am »

Long-time member here, but haven't posted for several years.

I've totaled 2 bikes on deer over the last 14 years. In 2004 I headed home (northern Kentucky) from Rabbit Hash before dusk in order to avoid deer; was on a KAW ZZR12; hit a deer on a blind turn; knowing the location, I guess I was doing about 50-55 mph; don't remember much as I was knocked unconscious. Got my first helicopter ride to University of Cincinnati trauma center. 21 fractures, punctured lung, and some deep road rash. I never completely recovered from this.

After the first deer encounter, I swore off riding at night; didn't ride once at night over the next 13 years, until June 2017. Wife and I attended the Red Mile flat track race in Lexington, KY. Rode home late at night on my 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge; took the interstate in order to minimize deer risk; smacked a doe square on, probably while going 75 mph; as in the first encounter, I don't remember much; another concussion; relied on my wife to learn of details. We both got an ambulance ride to the nearest ER. Though we both had full gear, we got some bad road rash. My jacket was shredded as I body-surfed along the road. Wife broke radius and ulna. Though I broke no bones this time, my road rash was so bad that I had to make periodic visits to a wound care center for the next 2 months.

When people tell me that I'm lucky to have survived these encounters, I respond by asking them how lucky is it to hit a deer on two separate occasions?

I've also hit a turtle, a cat, a vulture, a bat, and a few doves.

Jon
kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 07:25:46 am »

Long-time member here, but haven't posted for several years.

I've totaled 2 bikes on deer over the last 14 years.

Jon

Now that's damned scary ---  so far I've avoided hooved forest rats, but I see dead ones by the side of the road all the time...  I wonder it loud pipes helps keep them at bay?  

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 12:43:59 pm »

Did raj ever provide his close encounter stories?  I know the answer but thought I'd ask.  
jay547

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 01:04:47 pm »

Hopefully he'll answer when he gets back.

I rode my dual-sport bike Saturday and saw eleven deer in eight different locations. All were literally standing in the road. I guess that's better than crossing the road because you see them in advance.

These are becoming a problem too:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:13:11 pm by jay547 » Logged

slvrsprint

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »

I haven't hit much with a motorcycle.  Lots of close calls.  I agree with what was said earlier about not taking evasive action for animals.  I'll brake and swerve, but nothing drastic enough to crash without hitting the animal.  My neighbor recently took out another neighbor's mailbox swerving to miss a deer.  It's a 30 mph zone.  I think brakes would have been enough to avoid it if she had used them.

Cars are another story.  I guess because they are so much bigger that more close calls are hits.  My wife and I each killed deer with a Ford Explorer we had.  The total damage to the car was a $45 plastic headlight bracket.

I had a run of hitting birds - a hawk, an owl, a rooster pheasant, Daisy's Duck (domestic duck owned by a women named Daisy) all with cars and a gold finch with my face riding my Honda before getting a full face helmet.  It's amazing how hard a 2 ounce bird can punch.

Recently, I saw a post on social media about a car hitting a rabbit.  The writer was irritated that the driver didn't stop to check on it.  

One last thought, if you don't see a deer until it is 10 or 15 feet in front of you, YOU AREN"T LOOKING.  

IBA #8027
Jim M.

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14/ 2005 Yamaha Majesty/ 2001 Yamaha WR400
GPS: VA
Miles Typed: 211

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »

Just coming out of Orange VA on Rt.20 a few years ago on the Concours 14 when I notice a full grown adult Red-tailed Hawk flying out between two trees to my right. Fortunately I was still going about 45mph. I laid on the brakes and stiffened up my right arm for the impact. I hit him full on with my right forearm and was in absolute amazement just how big this SOB was as he tumbled across my lap and chest flailing what had to be 6 feet of wingspan between me and the fairing. I managed to hold onto the bars tight as he made his way across me. Thank goodness I'm a pretty big athletic guy or it would have gone badly very quick! Fortunately I went away with only a goose egg(Hawk egg?) bruise on my forearm, and he regained flight and continued across the highway. Holy crap those things are big!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:29:58 pm by Jim M. » Logged
EODK9Trainer

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 05:05:35 am »

Hopefully he'll answer when he gets back.

LOL.  Don't hold your breath.
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 06:42:54 am »

LOL.  Don't hold your breath.

Welcome to STN Mr FNG.  

Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »

In early June I rode into the Okanagan to spend a few nights camping. At others' suggestions, I took Green Mountain Road from  the 3A up to Penticton. Coming around a nice right hand sweeper pretty fast, and lo and behold a VERY large bull just ambling down the side of the road. He was 1500 lbs easily. He pretty much ignored me as I rolled past.
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »

In early June I rode into the Okanagan to spend a few nights camping. At others' suggestions, I took Green Mountain Road from  the 3A up to Penticton. Coming around a nice right hand sweeper pretty fast, and lo and behold a VERY large bull just ambling down the side of the road. He was 1500 lbs easily. He pretty much ignored me as I rolled past.

That would of hurt

jay547

Reputation 252

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 01:01:21 pm »

Back in '90 or so, I had a friend who hit a bull at night. Killed them both.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:37:33 pm by jay547 » Logged

rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 02:00:15 pm »

Back in '90 or so, I had a friend hit a bull at night. Killed them both.

Ouch

slvrsprint

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 02:23:00 pm »

Not "wildlife" but cows:

I once drove my car into a herd of cows in the fog.  It was like a nightmare, as I avoided one, another would appear in front of me - 3 or 4 times.  I got stopped without hitting one, then was worried I would get hit in the rear by the next car to come along.  I banged on the door of the nearest house and woke up a farmer's wife at about midnight.  She asked what color the cows were.  (?!?)  Theirs were black.  The ones in the road were black and white.  She started to close the door.  I told her I was leaving.  If she wanted to call her neighbor to tell him his cows were in the road, he may get to them before they get hit.

Forward about 40 years:  My brother-in-law hit a black bull on the same stretch of road.  Messed his truck up!

IBA #8027
VFRide

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »

I've had bear, deer and elk run across the road in front of me but nothing too close.  Cows are another story.  On a rainy dark night, I clipped one and stopped inches from another. Worst collision was a very big bird that I took square in the visor of a full face helmet.  
nomagnashn

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 15 Ninja 1000
GPS: Omaha, NE
Miles Typed: 264

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 07:16:29 am »

I once had a white bird fly up from the shoulder on the side of I-29 heading south from Sioux Falls, SD.  It looked like a gull.  I tried to avoid it at 75+mph but it ended up nailing me on my helmet.  That friggin' hurt!  I was seeing stars for a minute.  I pulled over for a few minutes to clear my head and then hopped back on the bike and rode home.

Another time, I was riding through central MN on a lonely 2 lane road.  About 1/4 mile ahead of me, an albino moose stepped out onto the road.  I slammed on the brakes so I could stop and get my camera out to get a pic.  I managed to stop and it just stared at me.  As soon as I got the camera out, it took off.  DAMMIT!  Smile

Scott Koskey
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
micah2074
It’s good to be the king.

Reputation 38

Motorcycles: FJ-09, YZF600R, Nighthawk 700 S
Miles Typed: 93

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2018, 02:56:42 pm »

I’ve not hit anything bigger than a squirrel......  Had several close calls with deer. I live in the woods. I’ve learned that if I see one to look for others. Around here they seem to run in packs......
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2019, 09:03:44 pm »

1. Banked over in a 50 mph sweeper and a cat ran out of the ditch. I caught it with my inside foot/footpeg.

2. Riding past a farmhouse and a flock of domestic geese get spooked by something and run across the road right in front of me.  One hit the front wheel, one hit my shoulder. Feathers everywhere.  Broke the front fender of my FJR.

3. Riding 70 mph on I-87 and a small deer t-bones me right in front of my right knee.  Smashed the fairing and tore off the saddlebag. Saddlebag dented the exhaust can and took the tail light and rear fender with it.  Just under $3k in damage.  I stayed upright and got to the shoulder of the road.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Lady Luck is definitely on your side.  

fuller1956

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 03:03:09 pm »

Over the years I have hit or been hit by probably 6 or 8 birds.  I had the anti-deer whistles on the side reflectors on the '84 Moto Guzzi California when a big buck stepped up on the shoulder of the road.  He stopped but when I got home the whistle on that side and the reflector were gone.  Way close.
Years later I was on the way to work in Greenville, NC on the '06 Concours, in the dark, on the interstate, at least 75 mph when the previously hit dead deer appeared.  He had been previously softened up, I had just enough time to loosen my grip on the bars and ride through the middle of the carcass.  No harm no foul.  I did have to wash venison off the bottom of the fairing when I got home the next morning.  Yep, way lucky.
John
jay547

Reputation 252

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 07:49:24 pm »

A bobcat crossed in front of me yesterday but he was gone before I could get my camera out.

cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2019, 06:58:43 pm »

When I first moved to Florida I was riding up near the Tarpon power plant and there was a stick laying in the right hand part of the road. I was doing maybe 25 as I moved over to avoid it. Just as I passed it opened up its mouth to show a smile. I jammed on the rear brake and probably scared it off coming to a stop because as I turned around to get a second look, it was just sliding off in the grass. Watch out, Florida logs move.

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal