Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Wildlife encounters while riding ?  (Read 6167 times)

James

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 80 XS11lg, 59 Bonniville
GPS: Manhattan, KS
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 09:31:11 pm »

Going back to camp at Chama, NM from Chaco Canyon I looked up to see where the rain might be and looked back down to see a deer about 15' in front of me. Nailed him dead center, wedged between the fairing and the fender of my '79 XS11, thought "this isn't that bad", then the deer woke up. Shook itself loose, I rolled over it cutting it in half. Put the bike into a tank slapper and the road curved to the left and I went straight. I was probably down to 30 or so at that point and my plan was to push off the bike (15' drop) and roll to my left as I came down. Kinda stuck the landing instead. Sat up (head never hit the ground), pried open my visor, saw no one would see me where I was so walked back up to the road and sat down to see if anyone might come by- if not I was going to start walking to camp (~50 miles). Couldn't move my left arm, but it didn't hurt that bad, figured I'd dislocated it. Car comes by after 5 min., has a cell but it doesn't work ('99, I didn't have one), another car comes by in a few more and his cell works. 45 min for the cop, another 15 for the ambulance. By the time the cop arrives there are ~15 people around, all saying they were going to work. Middle of an Apache reservation with nothing bigger than a gas station for a billion miles, but that's their story. Anyway, talk to the cop, he gets the phone # for camp off the bike to call & tell them what happen and where I'll be, ambulance arrives and we take my jacket off, rather than cutting it, they do there thing & we load up & head to Farmington. Get there an hour later and eventually go to xray and find I've broken my scapula and clavicle on the left side. Eventually the guys at camp pick up my bike, come by to see how I am, go back to camp and take up a collection for a plane ticket. A week after the accident I have my clavicle plated and get told to hold still till I heal. Next?

James
Gravity always works.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

RacinRay

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: FJR1300 VTX1800
GPS: Albany, NY
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:47 pm »

1. Banked over in a 50 mph sweeper and a cat ran out of the ditch. I caught it with my inside foot/footpeg.

2. Riding past a farmhouse and a flock of domestic geese get spooked by something and run across the road right in front of me.  One hit the front wheel, one hit my shoulder. Feathers everywhere.  Broke the front fender of my FJR.

3. Riding 70 mph on I-87 and a small deer t-bones me right in front of my right knee.  Smashed the fairing and tore off the saddlebag. Saddlebag dented the exhaust can and took the tail light and rear fender with it.  Just under $3k in damage.  I stayed upright and got to the shoulder of the road.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
RangerG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 1981 Yamaha Seca 550, 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Retro
GPS: Lloydminster, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 233

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »

I've hit a rabbit and some pretty big grasshoppers!

SECA 550, FZ1 Retro
Advertisement

Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 997

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 11:03:54 am »

I almost hit a deer this past Sunday.

Riding home from SW WI in pitch darkness, clear night. I knew to watch for the buggers.

Speed limit was 55 on mostly 2-lane rural highways.

It was close enough that if I were on a vintage bike with vintage headlight, I would've hit her.

All of a sudden, a deer was charging out right in front of me. I got on the brakes smooth and hard and just missed a big doe. The rest of the way home, I either went 45 or followed cars at whatever speed they were going, looking up ahead in their headlighting.

Next time, I'll ignore my friend and take the interstate home. It's just not worth the risk.

-Jeremy
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1818

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »

I almost hit a deer this past Sunday.

Riding home from SW WI in pitch darkness, clear night. I knew to watch for the buggers.

Speed limit was 55 on mostly 2-lane rural highways.

It was close enough that if I were on a vintage bike with vintage headlight, I would've hit her.

All of a sudden, a deer was charging out right in front of me. I got on the brakes smooth and hard and just missed a big doe. The rest of the way home, I either went 45 or followed cars at whatever speed they were going, looking up ahead in their headlighting.

Next time, I'll ignore my friend and take the interstate home. It's just not worth the risk.

You probably did a stoppie and didn’t even know it

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
AutoXer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW F800GT, 2015 Triumph Bonneville
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 213

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:29:00 pm »

Took off from a start, left the visor up a bit, closed it, and soon I see a yellow jacket crawling across the face shield.  Suddenly realized it was INSIDE the visor.  Did I mention I am allegic to bee stings?  Realization was followed by sutable levels of panic which intensified upon seeing there was no shoulder to pull off.  Found out how fast one can remove a helmet with a D-ring strap ...

West Virginia chipmunk, he thought he was a squirrel I guess as he changed course 5 times as I’m braking hard, he finally runs between my front and rear tire ...

Riding on Skyline Drive, dusk is fast approaching and I am thinking it’s definitely time to get off these roads because of the deer.  Pickup truck stops hard ahead of me for a deer, which walks right up to his window looking for a handout.  When none was forthcoming he came back to me, then moved to the car behind.

Riding through the Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania, two small deer run across the road, feet flailing away due to a lack of traction on the road surface.  Kinda funny.

Going to work in the suburbs, turn a corner and there is a HUGE eleventy-seven point buck standing at the edge of the road looking across the road, I assume he was tracking a female and getting ready to charge across.  I definitely would have lost to that guy.

HUGE groundhog crossing Rt 32 in Maryland.  At 5am.  It was dark.  I'd been watching to the right for deer (that particular stretch is a big deer kill zone) and saw it at the last second coming from the left side (the median).  I deked right while he continued right.  Felt a light thud, looked back in the mirror, and he had stopped and was standing there in the lane rubbing his nose.

Crawling down a one-lane dirt and gravel road through a swamp in Virginia (Garmin motorcycle GPS routing REALLY SUX!) and end up passing within a few feet of a huge Blue Heron standing by the road looking at me like “What are YOU doing here?”

Riding with my ladyfriend, suddenly hear through the communicator “mmmmm!  MMMMMM!!”  I think she’s messing with me and got irritated and said “You gotta use words, I have no idea what you are trying to say”.  Then I hear “MMMMM!!!!   MMMMM!!!” and she starts pounding on my shoulder.  I find a place to pull over and suddenly she’s ripping her helmet off and flailing away at something - turns out a bee had gotten in her helmet and was crawling across her face, thus she couldn’t open her mouth to tell me.

jZ

Just because I don't know where I am does not mean I am lost
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »

Auto

You are about due for better luck when it comes to animal encounters

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2374

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »

Auto is the King of animal finders!

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
blackbuell

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '75 YAM RD250, '07 Moto Guzzi Norge, '14 BMW F800GT, 2017 Indian Scout
GPS: Independence, KY
Miles Typed: 606

My Photo Gallery

formerly Yamabuell

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 07:03:51 am »

Long-time member here, but haven't posted for several years.

I've totaled 2 bikes on deer over the last 14 years. In 2004 I headed home (northern Kentucky) from Rabbit Hash before dusk in order to avoid deer; was on a KAW ZZR12; hit a deer on a blind turn; knowing the location, I guess I was doing about 50-55 mph; don't remember much as I was knocked unconscious. Got my first helicopter ride to University of Cincinnati trauma center. 21 fractures, punctured lung, and some deep road rash. I never completely recovered from this.

After the first deer encounter, I swore off riding at night; didn't ride once at night over the next 13 years, until June 2017. Wife and I attended the Red Mile flat track race in Lexington, KY. Rode home late at night on my 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge; took the interstate in order to minimize deer risk; smacked a doe square on, probably while going 75 mph; as in the first encounter, I don't remember much; another concussion; relied on my wife to learn of details. We both got an ambulance ride to the nearest ER. Though we both had full gear, we got some bad road rash. My jacket was shredded as I body-surfed along the road. Wife broke radius and ulna. Though I broke no bones this time, my road rash was so bad that I had to make periodic visits to a wound care center for the next 2 months.

When people tell me that I'm lucky to have survived these encounters, I respond by asking them how lucky is it to hit a deer on two separate occasions?

I've also hit a turtle, a cat, a vulture, a bat, and a few doves.

Jon
kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 186

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 07:25:46 am »

Long-time member here, but haven't posted for several years.

I've totaled 2 bikes on deer over the last 14 years.

Jon

Now that's damned scary ---  so far I've avoided hooved forest rats, but I see dead ones by the side of the road all the time...  I wonder it loud pipes helps keep them at bay?  
Formerly Known as Bigfoot

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Yamaha RSV
Miles Typed: 2870

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 12:43:59 pm »

Did raj ever provide his close encounter stories?  I know the answer but thought I'd ask.  
jay547

Reputation 258

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3063

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 01:04:47 pm »

Hopefully he'll answer when he gets back.

I rode my dual-sport bike Saturday and saw eleven deer in eight different locations. All were literally standing in the road. I guess that's better than crossing the road because you see them in advance.

These are becoming a problem too:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:13:11 pm by jay547 » Logged

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 383

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »

I haven't hit much with a motorcycle.  Lots of close calls.  I agree with what was said earlier about not taking evasive action for animals.  I'll brake and swerve, but nothing drastic enough to crash without hitting the animal.  My neighbor recently took out another neighbor's mailbox swerving to miss a deer.  It's a 30 mph zone.  I think brakes would have been enough to avoid it if she had used them.

Cars are another story.  I guess because they are so much bigger that more close calls are hits.  My wife and I each killed deer with a Ford Explorer we had.  The total damage to the car was a $45 plastic headlight bracket.

I had a run of hitting birds - a hawk, an owl, a rooster pheasant, Daisy's Duck (domestic duck owned by a women named Daisy) all with cars and a gold finch with my face riding my Honda before getting a full face helmet.  It's amazing how hard a 2 ounce bird can punch.

Recently, I saw a post on social media about a car hitting a rabbit.  The writer was irritated that the driver didn't stop to check on it.  

One last thought, if you don't see a deer until it is 10 or 15 feet in front of you, YOU AREN"T LOOKING.  

IBA #8027
Jim M.

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14/ 2005 Yamaha Majesty/ 2001 Yamaha WR400
GPS: VA
Miles Typed: 211

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »

Just coming out of Orange VA on Rt.20 a few years ago on the Concours 14 when I notice a full grown adult Red-tailed Hawk flying out between two trees to my right. Fortunately I was still going about 45mph. I laid on the brakes and stiffened up my right arm for the impact. I hit him full on with my right forearm and was in absolute amazement just how big this SOB was as he tumbled across my lap and chest flailing what had to be 6 feet of wingspan between me and the fairing. I managed to hold onto the bars tight as he made his way across me. Thank goodness I'm a pretty big athletic guy or it would have gone badly very quick! Fortunately I went away with only a goose egg(Hawk egg?) bruise on my forearm, and he regained flight and continued across the highway. Holy crap those things are big!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:29:58 pm by Jim M. » Logged
EODK9Trainer

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Yamaha RSV
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 05:05:35 am »

Hopefully he'll answer when he gets back.

LOL.  Don't hold your breath.
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 06:42:54 am »

LOL.  Don't hold your breath.

Welcome to STN Mr FNG.  

Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1096

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »

In early June I rode into the Okanagan to spend a few nights camping. At others' suggestions, I took Green Mountain Road from  the 3A up to Penticton. Coming around a nice right hand sweeper pretty fast, and lo and behold a VERY large bull just ambling down the side of the road. He was 1500 lbs easily. He pretty much ignored me as I rolled past.
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »

In early June I rode into the Okanagan to spend a few nights camping. At others' suggestions, I took Green Mountain Road from  the 3A up to Penticton. Coming around a nice right hand sweeper pretty fast, and lo and behold a VERY large bull just ambling down the side of the road. He was 1500 lbs easily. He pretty much ignored me as I rolled past.

That would of hurt

jay547

Reputation 258

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3063

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 01:01:21 pm »

Back in '90 or so, I had a friend who hit a bull at night. Killed them both.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:37:33 pm by jay547 » Logged

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 02:00:15 pm »

Back in '90 or so, I had a friend hit a bull at night. Killed them both.

Ouch

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal