Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Wildlife encounters while riding ?  (Read 3878 times)

slvrsprint

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 02:23:00 pm »

Not "wildlife" but cows:

I once drove my car into a herd of cows in the fog.  It was like a nightmare, as I avoided one, another would appear in front of me - 3 or 4 times.  I got stopped without hitting one, then was worried I would get hit in the rear by the next car to come along.  I banged on the door of the nearest house and woke up a farmer's wife at about midnight.  She asked what color the cows were.  (?!?)  Theirs were black.  The ones in the road were black and white.  She started to close the door.  I told her I was leaving.  If she wanted to call her neighbor to tell him his cows were in the road, he may get to them before they get hit.

Forward about 40 years:  My brother-in-law hit a black bull on the same stretch of road.  Messed his truck up!

IBA #8027
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

VFRide

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »

I've had bear, deer and elk run across the road in front of me but nothing too close.  Cows are another story.  On a rainy dark night, I clipped one and stopped inches from another. Worst collision was a very big bird that I took square in the visor of a full face helmet.  
nomagnashn

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 15 Ninja 1000
GPS: Omaha, NE
Miles Typed: 264

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 07:16:29 am »

I once had a white bird fly up from the shoulder on the side of I-29 heading south from Sioux Falls, SD.  It looked like a gull.  I tried to avoid it at 75+mph but it ended up nailing me on my helmet.  That friggin' hurt!  I was seeing stars for a minute.  I pulled over for a few minutes to clear my head and then hopped back on the bike and rode home.

Another time, I was riding through central MN on a lonely 2 lane road.  About 1/4 mile ahead of me, an albino moose stepped out onto the road.  I slammed on the brakes so I could stop and get my camera out to get a pic.  I managed to stop and it just stared at me.  As soon as I got the camera out, it took off.  DAMMIT!  Smile

Scott Koskey
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Advertisement

micah2074
Itís good to be the king.

Reputation 38

Motorcycles: FJ-09, YZF600R, Nighthawk 700 S
Miles Typed: 93

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2018, 02:56:42 pm »

Iíve not hit anything bigger than a squirrel......  Had several close calls with deer. I live in the woods. Iíve learned that if I see one to look for others. Around here they seem to run in packs......
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1622

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2019, 09:03:44 pm »

1. Banked over in a 50 mph sweeper and a cat ran out of the ditch. I caught it with my inside foot/footpeg.

2. Riding past a farmhouse and a flock of domestic geese get spooked by something and run across the road right in front of me.  One hit the front wheel, one hit my shoulder. Feathers everywhere.  Broke the front fender of my FJR.

3. Riding 70 mph on I-87 and a small deer t-bones me right in front of my right knee.  Smashed the fairing and tore off the saddlebag. Saddlebag dented the exhaust can and took the tail light and rear fender with it.  Just under $3k in damage.  I stayed upright and got to the shoulder of the road.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Lady Luck is definitely on your side.  

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separatelyĒ
fuller1956

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 03:03:09 pm »

Over the years I have hit or been hit by probably 6 or 8 birds.  I had the anti-deer whistles on the side reflectors on the '84 Moto Guzzi California when a big buck stepped up on the shoulder of the road.  He stopped but when I got home the whistle on that side and the reflector were gone.  Way close.
Years later I was on the way to work in Greenville, NC on the '06 Concours, in the dark, on the interstate, at least 75 mph when the previously hit dead deer appeared.  He had been previously softened up, I had just enough time to loosen my grip on the bars and ride through the middle of the carcass.  No harm no foul.  I did have to wash venison off the bottom of the fairing when I got home the next morning.  Yep, way lucky.
John
jay547

Reputation 252

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2932

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 07:49:24 pm »

A bobcat crossed in front of me yesterday but he was gone before I could get my camera out.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2019, 06:58:43 pm »

When I first moved to Florida I was riding up near the Tarpon power plant and there was a stick laying in the right hand part of the road. I was doing maybe 25 as I moved over to avoid it. Just as I passed it opened up its mouth to show a smile. I jammed on the rear brake and probably scared it off coming to a stop because as I turned around to get a second look, it was just sliding off in the grass. Watch out, Florida logs move.

ďMore than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.Ē - Wilbur Wright
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal