Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Another Engineer quit at back seat bike  (Read 3035 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 370

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1756

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:26:22 pm »

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/06/article/indian-motorcycle-to-offer-a-street-version-ftr-1200-in-2019/

I really want to like this bike but I think the back end of this bike looks horrible

Engineer quit at the back seat and didn’t finish the bike

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:07:18 pm »

That would be a sharp bike for Indian to bring to their lineup.  Thumbsup
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1103

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:14:39 am »

I spoke with a person I know that works at an Indian-Motus dealership a couple of days ago, about this bike.  He said that they really didn’t know much about this bike yet, but here’s his take....

He thinks that it will end up being a Scout with mid controls and a different seat/rear end.  He said that is is significant that Indian introduced the bike at a “urban biker” event in France, as Indian will use this bike as their way to get involved in the world market.  They will continue to make large cruisers for the American market, but don’t think the cruiser type of bike is the one that will appeal in foreign markets.  He thinks that it will turn out to be a naked sportbike.

This same person restores Japanese bikes and shows them at events like Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio and Barber.  He sold two of his restored bikes and bought himself a Scout last year. The engine in the Scout is fantastic.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Advertisement

rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:22:55 am »

But still they should only pay the engineer 3/4 of what he wanted since he quit at the back seat  Lol

UFO

Reputation 226

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13215

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:06:53 am »

Another Engineer quit at back seat bike

Wut? Headscratch

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Webmaster - http://h2sxriders.net - Ride Fast ... Ride Far
Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 997

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:26:23 am »

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/06/article/indian-motorcycle-to-offer-a-street-version-ftr-1200-in-2019/

I really want to like this bike but I think the back end of this bike looks horrible

Engineer quit at the back seat and didn’t finish the bike

This is a pet peeve of mine too. To have a proper tail section means:

a) No ridiculous rear fenders need to protrude way back (and get removed anyway)
b) Passenger confidence and comfort
c) A bit of locking storage space

I'm thinking of the early CBRs compared to today's. They were better street bikes, very fast, and still pretty comfortable. Honda was smart to separate "sport" from "supersport" years ago, but many of the "sport" models are still a bit too dedicated, with no tail section, too much forward lean, too little wind protection, etc.

Yamaha has the right idea with the FZ600R, and Suzuki with the Bandit 1250.

We just need more middleweight shafties now.

-Jeremy
Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1096

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:11:36 pm »

RajFlyboy and Jeremy Z are assuming the bike should have been designed to meet their ideal of aesthetic. Sorry to say. not everyone sees the world through your eyes. The bike is obviously not meant for 2 Up riding. There is in fact no rear seat position, nor foot pegs for a passenger. It is meant to evoke the spirit of a flat track racer (yeah, we all know the 2 up races are all the rage now!), combined with the nostalgia for a cafe racer and the brutishness of a street fighter.

I like it.

If you two don't, so be it.
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2333

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:15 pm »

Last year when I bought the Bandit 1250 as a "day" bike to extend the life of my FJR, I looked really seriously at the Victory Octane. They were giving  them away and I always wanted to buy an American made bike. This bike I will look at again. BUT, the reason I didn't get the octane was a 3.4 gallon gas tank!!  EEK!  I will not have a bike I can't go 200 miles on. That's my standard. If this bike has a gas tank then I'm in the game.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »

RajFlyboy and Jeremy Z are assuming the bike should have been designed to meet their ideal of aesthetic. Sorry to say. not everyone sees the world through your eyes. The bike is obviously not meant for 2 Up riding. There is in fact no rear seat position, nor foot pegs for a passenger. It is meant to evoke the spirit of a flat track racer (yeah, we all know the 2 up races are all the rage now!), combined with the nostalgia for a cafe racer and the brutishness of a street fighter.

I like it.

Hey hey

I want a bike in which I can put my registration and insurance data under the back seat.   The engineers don’t even give us space for this on some of the newer POS bikes

Am I asking for too much ?

But the cut off back ends still look hideous and that’s without adding meals on wheels boxes to them  Lol

Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 997

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:01:32 pm »

I like it.

I didn't notice the lack of passenger pegs, so I guess the bike is actually DESIGNED to be totally impractical. Fair enough, I guess buyers will go into it knowing that.

-Jeremy
jay547

Reputation 255

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3022

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 03:37:37 pm »

I will not have a bike I can't go 200 miles on. That's my standard. If this bike has a gas tank then I'm in the game.

Too bad, you're missing out on a lot of good dual-sport riding.

If they held a gun to my head and said, "you have to ride a cruiser," it would be an Indian but i agree that this bike doesn't look right in the end. And yes, it is my opinion, as well.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »

Wait a minute here.  Wait just one minute...
Are we looking at the same bike?!?
I'm seeing a custom built race bike.  Of course it doesn't have passenger or insurance and registration "accommodations".  Not even a taillight.
As far as google knows, no one knows what the production FTR1200 will look like.

Some of ya'll need to stop stirring shit in the pentagram pattern.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2333

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »

Too bad, you're missing out on a lot of good dual-sport riding.

If they held a gun to my head and said, "you have to ride a cruiser," it would be an Indian but i agree that this bike doesn't look right in the end. And yes, it is my opinion, as well.

Jay, I'm on your side. This is a sport-touring site. So my opinions are based on those types of bikes. Dual sport? OK in my book. Although that is a type of bike I would never even dream about riding like me and the buddies do. Or go the distances we do.

Now if I knew some friends of mine that would ride dirt with me I'd buy a motocross bike tomarrow.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »

The Scout, which undoubtedly this new bike will be based on, comes with a 3.3 gal tank.  Even at 50 mpg that gives a range only slightly over 150 miles.  Like many others here, I like to have a little longer range on my bikes.  Not saying that I ride them dry all of the time, but sometimes I am out in areas where gas isn’t easily found or I’m out riding with folks on FJR’s, St1300’s, or other bikes with larger tanks and more range.  I don’t want to be the one that has to stop every 100-120 miles for fuel.  Very cool bike IMO, but wouldn’t be my choice for actually sport-TOURING.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:21:46 pm »

Wait a minute here.  Wait just one minute...
Are we looking at the same bike?!?
I'm seeing a custom built race bike.  Of course it doesn't have passenger or insurance and registration "accommodations".  Not even a taillight.
As far as google knows, no one knows what the production FTR1200 will look like.

Some of ya'll need to stop stirring shit in the pentagram pattern.

I just hope an engineer or bike company reads this and will be build a proper rear end on a sport bike

jay547

Reputation 255

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3022

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:41:03 pm »

I don’t want to be the one that has to stop every 100-120 miles for fuel.  

That's about my regular stop interval anyway so that part wouldn't bother me. I'm glad Indian is building good bikes. It just makes being a motorcycle fan a little more fun.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:29 am »

That's about my regular stop interval anyway so that part wouldn't bother me. I'm glad Indian is building good bikes. It just makes being a motorcycle fan a little more fun.

I also like to stop every 100 or so miles, just to stretch.  But sometimes there isn’t any fuel around.  Fuel range  can be especially a potential problem in many of the plains and western states.  Not saying I wouldn’t want the bike, in fact I’ll be checking it out closely when it does come out.  Just wouldn’t be my travel bike....so the lack of luggage mounting choices wouldn’t really bother me either.  But I would like a longer fuel range, just in case I needed it.

So many of us have clamored for an “American” sportbike for so long.  One that was dependable and affordable.  Indian may just make it.  But some people still won’t be happy and will just nitpick it.

Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 03:25:10 pm »

Hey hey

I want a bike in which I can put my registration and insurance data under the back seat.   The engineers don’t even give us space for this on some of the newer POS bikes

Am I asking for too much ?

But the cut off back ends still look hideous and that’s without adding meals on wheels boxes to them  Lol

Yes, you are. The bike is not designed for you, but an entirely different demographic. If you don't like it, fine but harping about how it does not have the features you REQUIRE is merely a form of mental masturbation.
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 08:35:29 pm »

Yes, you are. The bike is not designed for you, but an entirely different demographic. If you don't like it, fine but harping about how it does not have the features you REQUIRE is merely a form of mental masturbation.

Honestly I love the “Street Tracker” style bikes and I have mentioned this on other threads and I’d like to build a street tracker out of a Sportster some day (but I want it to have a normal back end with seat)

Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:35 pm »

Honestly I love the “Street Tracker” style bikes and I have mentioned this on other threads and I’d like to build a street tracker out of a Sportster some day (but I want it to have a normal back end with seat)

Given what the photos portray, that is obviously not the demographic they are after. Sadly, you'd be left to your own devices. As a way to do so,start with one of the modern Scramblers and mod it to suit your desire and need.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal