Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Target fixation at night....  (Read 6196 times)

kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:32:08 pm »

Anyone ever have problems with target fixation at night?  I've raced down my share of back roads at 2AM... BUT ...  I was riding the other night on 2 and 4 lane back roads in the mountains of WVa, Va, and Western Md -- having fun just riding at a medium pace on the way back from a weekend of hanging out with friends.  Maybe it was too much time in the sun, maybe I was tired?  But I was having difficulty hitting the curves...  It felt like I was running hot into every corner and unable to lean the bike over enough to apex and get any drive out of the corner.   After about 5 blown corners, it finally dawned on me that I was target fixating on the warning signs  on the outside of each curve at the apex.  They were reflective, super attention getters, and sometimes the only thing really visible on the road.  It took another 10 to 15 corners for me to be able to quickly process and then completely ignore the signs.    It was really annoying to realize I was target fixating, and yet not be able to stop doing it.   What was different about this target fixation was that the signs were getting my attention after I'd chosen my turn in point -- I'd be looking through the curve and about to lean it over when the reflection would catch my eye and I'd delay the turn in.  Surprisingly, 4 lane roads were harder to deal with....

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 12:32:21 am »

I find the signs have been way too reflective for the last few years. They actually blind me at night. It makes it harder to see where you are, just like the current crop of overly bright headlights. I actually find myself holding a hand up in front of the bigger signs to reduce the glare. I wish someone in the transportation department would realize this and go back to the old levels of reflectance.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1282

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 08:31:38 am »

Listen to your body (day or night) and slow down when needed. If you think you've already slowed down but are still having issues, slow down more.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Advertisement

Biking Sailor

Reputation 56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 857

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:40:22 am »

Also you might want to check your headlight aim.  I adjusted my new Griso headlight too high and really noticed it by how much brighter the road signs were. Yes, they were blinding at an exit on my commute to work at 5:00 am.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 250

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2252

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:01:01 am »

I only ride the interstates or residential streets at night. So I can't say how the backroads would effect me. Too many animals on the road where I like to ride for me to chance night riding.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 10:38:51 am »

I think it's a combination of better reflective on the signs and headlights being brighter than they use to be.
I really noticed it when I replaced a burned out headlight bulb in my Ninja with a Sylvania SuperStar Ultra.  It's MUCH brighter than the one that burned out, so I put it in/as the high beam.  It makes the signs distracting!

The brighter headlights on cars these days makes driving at night less enjoyable too.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:43:17 am »

Also you might want to check your headlight aim.  I adjusted my new Griso headlight too high and really noticed it by how much brighter the road signs were. Yes, they were blinding at an exit on my commute to work at 5:00 am.

I had the high beam on...  wanted as much forward visibility as possible since it was pretty dark in the trees.  

I think the placement / location of the signs was another factor...  they caught my eye right before the turn in point...  A moment before or after and it wouldn't have been distracting.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:50:27 am by kver » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal