Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 4 or 5 days in Seattle in September  (Read 2010 times)

Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: '01 XV16ATN, "14 ZR1000
GPS: Hudson Valley, NY
Miles Typed: 1345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2018, 09:24:55 am »

We are doing our annual baseball trip in Seattle this year.  We will be getting into Seattle on a Thursday morning and leaving on the following Monday.  Just looking for any local suggestions for food, entertainment.  We will be going to SafeCo on the Saturday night.  We are planning on doing a couple standard tourist things.  Duck Tour Friday morning, and we will probably try to get to the Space Needle and the Chihuly Garden and Glass on the day we arrive.

We will be staying in the area near Westlake Center (Pine and 6th st).  

Any recommendations on good pubs, local food joints would be appreciated.  A good breakfast spot in that area?

Let's do the Time Warp again!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3498

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:40:40 am »

Pike Place Market, Museum of history and industry (MOHAI), an Argosy boat tour through the locks, walk on to the Bainbridge ferry and ride it over and back, rent a kayak or paddleboard on Lake Union, ride the light rail to the University of Washington and walk around the campus, take the water taxi over to West Seattle and Alki beach, walk around Green Lake, and Capital Hill if the LGBTQ scene interests you.

As for restaurants, the scene turns over so fast, there's no lasting institutions, ask the concierge.  Except for breakfast, you have to go to Beths Cafe.  One of the last remaining old Seattle places.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15135

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 02:56:44 pm »

The Space Needle is cool because, well, its the Space Needle. But if you want better views for less money, go to the Columbia Tower and take a ride to the observation deck. link

Also, the Underground Tour is a lot of fun, and a really good idea if the weather is not cooperating.

EMP is an amazing place to visit, if you have an interest in music and general entertainment history.

If you have ANY interest at all in quality cinema, check out what's showing at the Cinerama. It is an amazing 70mm cinema restored by Paul Allen.

On a good day (or a good, clear evening), take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island.

Some people will recommend Salty's for meals because of the views of the city you get. But I wasn't that impressed with it and will instead recommend (Ray's Boathouse. Great views across the bay to the Olympics are better than those of the city - and the food's better, too.

For a fun time, you can kill an hour or so by checking out the Home of Kitsch: Archie McPhee. Full of random fun stuff...

If wooden boats and cool sail boats are your thing, the Center for Wooden Boats is really cool to walk around. You can also rent a sail boat there.

Oh, just re-read your post. You're looking for food!!! Ok, in that case and you like a good, greasy, spoon, check out Beth's Cafe. Open 24 hours for your dining pleasure  Cool

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Advertisement

Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:50:10 pm »

I was looking for both food and entertainment.  Thanks for the tips, folks.

greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:12:14 pm »

Depending on the scale of your budget -
Rays Boathouse
Dahlia Lounge
Any restaurant by Tom Douglas
El Gaucho
Red Mill Burgers
Spuds Fish and Chips

Hipster neighborhood restaurants - https://www.google.com/maps/search/restaurants+near+Georgetown,+Seattle,+WA/@47.5487899,-122.3361494,15z/data=!3m1!4b1
Katsu Burger was on Man vs Food
Smarty Pants is a good motorcycle oriented place

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1289

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:51:25 am »

Cafe Veloce (never had a bad experience here)
Smarty Pants (kinda moto)
The Murder Mystery Theater (guest participation dinner theater)
The Fuse Box Moto (motorcycle themed grill)

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 09:13:45 am »

Heading out tomorrow.  Thanks for the recommendations, folks!   Thumbsup

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 01:46:35 pm »

I would like a full report upon your return, please.  :popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:13:07 pm »

We had a very good time in Seattle.  Thanks to all that gave some recommendations.  We were in town for 4 days.
We stayed at the Hotel Theodore which is on 7th and Pike.  The hotel was great and we had a night cap at their bar just about every night.

Day 1 (Thur) - We arrived in Seattle about noon on Thursday.  That day we hit the Space Needle, Chihuly Glass Garden and the MOPOP.  It is very expensive to go up the needle ($57) since the update.  The restaurant is now gone and the lower level now has a rotating glass floor.  We bought a city pass which got us into the 3 different places for $90.  So if anyone is planning on going to the Seattle Center, make sure you look for package deals, instead of paying for each place separately. We grabbed some lunch and beers in the space needle and had dinner at the hotel bar the first night.  It was a great day, and the weather was very nice.

Day 2 (Fri) - We had breakfast at Lola (4th and Virginia).  The breakfast there was amazing we went back for breakfast on Sun and Mon.  The breakfast sausage is amazing.  The Duck tour was that day which is a fun way to see a city and get ideas of things to do.  After the tour we made our way over to the Pike Place Market and walked around the area.  We did the Wings over Washington ride, which we both enjoyed.  September is a great time for vaca because most places are not crowded and there is always minimal lines.  We got right in on the WoW ride so it only took about 20 minutes.  We then headed down to Merchant Cafe for a few drinks, a cool old bar in Pioneer Square area.  I think that was the day we visited the Gum Wall.  We had dinner that evening in Pike Market.

Day 3 (Sat) - We headed to Beth's Cafe for Breakfast, we had to take an Uber ride since it's a bit outside the Downtown area.  The breakfast was good, not great, and was recommended by quite a few people.  I'm not sure if the place has gone downhill in recent years, but I was shocked how few people were there for a Saturday morning.  There were only two other tables with people at them.  The staff was also a bit odd, and not very attentive.
  We did a ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island to get some photos of the city skyline from the water.  That was worth the trip and got some great photos.  After the ferry ride we had a couple drinks at the Merchant Cafe, waiting for our Underground Tour to start.  The tour was very informative and interesting.  It is unbelievable how much a city can change over time.  We had the Yankee, Mariner game that day, so after the tour we headed toward the ballpark.  We stopped in a cool, very small dive bar the Triangle.  We had a couple beers there before heading to the game.  Safeco field is a nice ballpark and we had great seats for the game.

Day 4 (Sun) - Breakfast at Lola's, for the second time.  The place was packed and I didn't realize that some places take reservations for breakfast.  Since we did not have reservations we had to wait around 45 minutes for a table, so we just walked around for a little while.  Something we didn't plan on doing but ended up being a great bargain and a fun time was we went to WNBA finals.  The Storm was playing Washington for the Championship.  It was game 2 of the Finals and the Storm was home at Key Arena.  Tickets were only $15 seat with no ticket fee since we bought them right at the Arena.  It was a close game and the crowd was really loud and into it.  Probably the best bang for the buck of the trip!  That night we had reservations at Ray's Boathouse and the food was delicious.  We had a nice view of the water and the service was excellent.  

Day 5 (Mon) - End of the visit to Seattle.  We had breakfast at Lola....again and then made our way to the airport.

Thanks again to everyone who helped us find some things to do!

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:08:04 pm »

Yay! thanks for the update  Bigok  I'm glad that you had a successful trip.

Day 1 (Thur) - That day we hit the Space Needle, Chihuly Glass Garden and the MOPOP.  It is very expensive to go up the needle ($57) since the update.

Ahem *Columbia Tower* ahem Wink  

Day 3 (Sat) - We headed to Beth's Cafe for Breakfast, we had to take an Uber ride since it's a bit outside the Downtown area.  The breakfast was good, not great, and was recommended by quite a few people.  I'm not sure if the place has gone downhill in recent years, but I was shocked how few people were there for a Saturday morning.  There were only two other tables with people at them.  The staff was also a bit odd, and not very attentive.

Beth's is mostly known for its late-night people. People go there after concerts and stuff, so usually around midnight or so its a hopping place Smile   As for the staff, they were always eclectic when I lived there. Bodies full of tattoos, piercings and colorful hair was the norm. And as for the food, it is a greasy spoon, so I can't say that it would be a 5 star place anyway Shrug

Or maybe it just went downhill  Cool

Member since 2003
Open Sore
Asshat #4

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 10:29:30 am »

I forgot to mention we did also go up the Columbia Tower, on Saturday between the Ferry ride and the Ball Game.  That was much cheaper than the Needle.  Great view up there and a bar!  But if you are visiting Seattle, maybe for the only time, you have to go up the Space Needle.  With the package deals the Space Needle is worth it.

As far as the staff at  Beth's I wasn't referring to their looks as odd.  Just their behavior, very lethargic, and not very chatty.  For a place like that I just expected if it was slow the staff would be a little more engaging with the people there.  The food was good and we weren't disappointed in the food, I guess I just expected a little friendlier place with all the reviews I read on the place.

If you are interested in any of the pictures we took you can check them out on my Instagram account :   eric_fishbone

greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:29 am »

The sullen inattentiveness is part of the charm of Beths.

Glad you had a great time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal