Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Hot weather gear  (Read 7001 times)

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:17:00 pm »

So far I have been riding old school ATGATT, with a partially perforated Dainese jacket in the warmer temps, and leather pants over shorts. Over 95 degrees its hot, and over 98 its painful...but I have slid down the highway twice, and leather is king! So what are some recommendations of slide-worthy warm weather gear that won't make my wallet weep? Is there any tough mesh gear out there for those 100 plus days like tomorrow?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:46:41 pm »

I wear a double layer fully perforated and armored jacket, Joe Rocket.  On tour in extended heat I also wear an evaporative vest under it and over a thin white t shirt.  Lasts 3-4 hours before rewetting.  I’ve tried perforated pants and other armored thin riding pants and they’re all too hot for me so I wear MX style hard shell padded knee and shin guards under my Levi’s in the heat.  I’m after impact protection but I know I’m giving up rash protection.  I also wear armored perforated gloves.

Ride em if ya got em...
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:48 pm »

I moved to South Texas from Connecticut a month ago.  Damn, it's hot here! haha.  Anyways, I just bought a pair of Kevlar lined riding jeans with armor.  Hopefully they will be a good compromise between protection and cooling!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Advertisement

jay547

Reputation 279

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3678

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:50:08 pm »

Anyways, I just bought a pair of Kevlar lined riding jeans with armor.  Hopefully they will be a good compromise between protection and cooling!

That's what I exclusively use. In winter, I wear them over regular jeans.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
VFRide

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 01:06:00 am »

............  I’m after impact protection but I know I’m giving up rash protection.  .........

that's about how I feel wearing my perforated gear.  Better than shorts & a t-shirt. ButI I don't expect the mesh material to hold up in a slide.
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:36 am »

So far I have been riding old school ATGATT, with a partially perforated Dainese jacket in the warmer temps, and leather pants over shorts. Over 95 degrees its hot, and over 98 its painful...but I have slid down the highway twice, and leather is king! So what are some recommendations of slide-worthy warm weather gear that won't make my wallet weep? Is there any tough mesh gear out there for those 100 plus days like tomorrow?

Hey Dean. For pants I have settled RevIt Gear2. About 50% leather in all the slide areas, and high quality Mesh everywhere else. I upgraded the armour too and feel they are the best compromise of protection and air flow.

My Jacket is a HitAir and is quite warm but willing to endure that.
What is making the most difference is my new model HJC70 ST helmet. Flows a ton of air and really is a big improvement in cooling.  

Gonna be 38- 40 here the next few days.  
YYCZED

Reputation 6

Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 12:08:19 pm »

Some of the Rev'It summer gear has built-in zips so that you can add a Rev'It-specific cooling vest. Rev'It is really expensive retail in Canada, so I only buy stuff on sale at motoin.de and fc-moto.de (both have a summer sale on right now) . They also do mesh trousers that zip onto their jackets, but of course with a lot of gear you have to shell out extra for upgraded armour inserts

YMMV
jay547

Reputation 279

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »

What is making the most difference is my new model HJC70 ST helmet. Flows a ton of air and really is a big improvement in cooling.  

I just got the HJC IS-17. It's nice and light and quieter than my previous helmet but zero air flow. If I turn my head 45° to the right and 20° down, I get just a little air but then I can't see the road.

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 07:04:17 pm »

Hey Dean. For pants I have settled RevIt Gear2. About 50% leather in all the slide areas, and high quality Mesh everywhere else. I upgraded the armour too and feel they are the best compromise of protection and air flow.

My Jacket is a HitAir and is quite warm but willing to endure that.

Gonna be 38- 40 here the next few days.  

Hi Jim,
 Do those pants actually let air flow? They are about what I was looking for. I've been riding with that Dainese jacket half open...a bit afraid I will catch a wasp one of these days, but it was 40c in Valleyview this afternoon, and 38 all the way home, so I am taking the risk! LOL I'm riding with my convertible helmet open, but visor half down (always sunglasses) to stop hot air from hitting my face, and to uncover the top vent. It's not bad. I should have wet my head, but traffic was moving well, so I did have a bit of airflow.
 It seems like I don't deal with the heat as well as I did when I lived in the Okanagan...must be an age thing. Lol

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 07:08:11 pm »

I wear a double layer fully perforated and armored jacket, Joe Rocket.  On tour in extended heat I also wear an evaporative vest under it and over a thin white t shirt.  Lasts 3-4 hours before rewetting.  I’ve tried perforated pants and other armored thin riding pants and they’re all too hot for me so I wear MX style hard shell padded knee and shin guards under my Levi’s in the heat.  I’m after impact protection but I know I’m giving up rash protection.  I also wear armored perforated gloves.

Because I have slid twice in my 37 years of road riding,  I can't make myself sacrifice rash protection! I have vented armoured gloves as well.

bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 07:11:09 pm »

Yes, they do flow air. Just widen your legs and I get good air flow. Stand, and it’s a ton. They come with good knee armour and crap hip armour. The leather is similar in quality to that Dainese you bought from me. The Gear2 flow a bit more air than the original Gear pants. The Tornado2 pants are also good flow, but a little less protection.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:14:48 pm by bubba zanetti » Logged
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 07:34:29 pm »

These are likely too small but are about what I paid for a near new pair on EBay.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rev’it-gear-2-pants-eu48.1323923/

Like a lot of RevIt stuff, sizing is odd and these pants tend to fit small. I have about a 37 inch waist and wear a 58 in Gear2
aviationfred

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2008 VFR800, 2000 VFR800, 1996 VFR750 1990 FJ1200, 1990 VFR750
GPS: Wichita, Kansas
Miles Typed: 254

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 12:58:34 am »

I wear a double layer fully perforated and armored jacket, Joe Rocket.  On tour in extended heat I also wear an evaporative vest under it and over a thin white t shirt.  Lasts 3-4 hours before rewetting.

I am a Joe Rocket gear fan. The gear is reasonably priced and IMO looks good. I have seen first hand, how Joe Rocket mesh jackets and pants hold up after sliding on pavement. The mesh does disintegrate and looks horrible afterwards, but in both cases, neither of the riders had any skin that contacted the road.

I personally wear 1 of 4 Joe Rocket Jackets. 1. Mesh and Textile Hi-Vis, 2. Mesh and Perforated Leather. 3. Textile and Leather, and 4. Full textile touring length. As mentioned above, the mesh jackets work very well with a Cool-Vest worn underneath. Keeping your core cool in 90+ degree temps is easily attained and makes the ride more bearable.

For pants, I have 2 pair. 1. an older pair of Klim mesh and textile pants. 2. Joe Rocket textile with zip out panels that expose mesh areas. The Klim pants work great in the heat, my only complaint is that the armor is pretty cheesy and has been replaced with D3O hip and knee armor.

The first photo is with my Mesh and perforated Leather jacket and Klim pants. Second photo is my Mesh and textile hi-vis jacket and Klim pants. Third photo is my Textile and Leather jacket and an older pair of Joe Rocket Mesh and Textile pants. The last photo is my Joe Rocket Touring Jacket, I wear it mostly in colder weather.

My daughter, who is pictured also has Joe Rocket gear on. in the first photo she has a Mesh and textile jacket and Textile pants. In the second photo a full textile jacket.

Fred
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:10:22 am by aviationfred » Logged

IBA #65004
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 09:47:16 am »

Has anyone here tried one of those hi-tech evap. cooling vests?  I guess you gotta wear it over a hi-tech wicking shirt.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:49:42 pm »

Well, two of us mentioned wearing them.  You miss that?

Ride em if ya got em...
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 09:11:47 pm »

Well, two of us mentioned wearing them.  You miss that?

I saw the Rev'it specific one I was thinking of just wearing a generic one under my Mesh jacket.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
jay547

Reputation 279

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:17 pm »

I saw the Rev'it specific one I was thinking of just wearing a generic one under my Mesh jacket.

I've considered doing that, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Let us know how it works if you try it.

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »

I figured I would shop over the fall-winter, and get some vented gear for next year. I just have to make it through this last hot week. But damn! 40-42c/104-108f on my 45 minute ride home today. Records breaking all over. Western  Canada is cookin' this August. I really feel for those of you further south, where the serious heat happens. I think I will survive one more day, but this will not fly for next summer!
 Thanks for all of the recommendations. I am going to try a few of the suggestions here.

aviationfred

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2008 VFR800, 2000 VFR800, 1996 VFR750 1990 FJ1200, 1990 VFR750
GPS: Wichita, Kansas
Miles Typed: 254

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 01:17:59 am »

Has anyone here tried one of those hi-tech evap. cooling vests?  I guess you gotta wear it over a hi-tech wicking shirt.

I have had the opportunity to use 3 different brands of the cool vests that you soak with tap water and wear under your mesh jackets. They do work very well. There are 2 main keys to their effectiveness. 1. A snug fit is required. You want the material to be in direct contact with as much of your torso as possible. 2. They work the best in low humidity, The 80%-99% humidity that is often the case over the eastern part of the USA in the summer months does not promote good evaporation. I have worn regular cotton t-shirts under them and the Heat-Out shirts that Cycle Gear sells. The Heat-Out shirts work better than plain cotton t-shirts. In My Opinion, The cooling vest is a requirement if riding anywhere West of Chicago, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Dallas during the summer months.

Brands that I have tried.. Cycle Gear, Fly Racing and Hyper Kewl. They all work about the same for effectiveness.

This is what I am currently using. http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CoolingVest

A couple of added things. A dry cool vest does have some insulating properties. Worn under a mesh jacket on a cool summer morning will keep your chest comfortable. The vest will also work very well in absorbing rain from an unexpected rain shower. As long as you have not recently recharged it. I know this for a fact, having been caught in some rain this past June while wearing mine. I am in the Hi-Viz jacket, My friend Ron can be seen wearing his cool vest.

Fred
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:50:06 am by aviationfred » Logged

IBA #65004
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 02:27:36 am »

This is the one I’ve used for years.  Saved my azz crossing Nevada one summer. Smile

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/jackets-vests/vests/techniche-hyperkewl-evaporative-cooling-vest/p/27584?CRTP=psc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzK_bBRDDARIsAFQF7zNXL9PiX7kIM_Jz5TJJnWAfkemTGQ9fC5tPAE4ftcYrit-zNcVl8zEaAvGpEALw_wcB

Ride em if ya got em...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal