Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Lighthouse Tour of Northern NB  (Read 5386 times)

Acadian Rider

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
GPS: Moncton N.B. Canada
Miles Typed: 1155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:09:51 am »

Last year I started to take pictures of lighthouses in the Maritime Provinces on the bike. I got most of those that were accessible in PEI and some in my home province of NB. This week I spent two days to ride up to the Acadian Peninsula in NB and back home in Moncton and got eleven of them.

If a lighthouse was located on a private road I tried to get some pictures from a public road nearby if I could see it. Some were only accessible by water and since my bike doesn’t float I didn’t get them. My rule when I take a picture of a lighthouse is that the bike and lighthouse have to be visible in the same picture.  

My route for the two days

The first stops were along the Miramichi River / Inner Bay.

Oak Point Range Front Lighthouse located on private property

Let’s try this again with the bike in it

The second stop was not far up the road.

Grant Beach Range Front Lighthouse located on private property

The next one close to Burnt Church wasn’t far either. There were some workers there installing new windows. I asked them if I could take some pictures. I didn’t ask them but it looks like someone is planning to move in judging by the work they are doing.  

Grand Dune Flats Range Front Lighthouse

The next one was not too far up the road close to Neguac NB.  

Lower Neguac Range Rear Lighthouse also located on private property

After that one it was up to the Acadian Peninsula. People are proud to fly the Acadian flag there and even some of the lighthouses are painted with the Acadian flag colours as you’ll see.  

The first one in the Acadian peninsula was the Portage Island Rear lighthouse in Shippagan.  

Portage Island Rear Lighthouse in Shippagan painted in the colours of the Acadian flag

After the Shippagan lighthouse it was time to call it a day and find a campground for the night. This year I purchased some camping equipment for my Alaska trip of June-July and now that I have it I plan on making good use of it. Prior to leaving I had seen that there is a municipal campground close to Shippagan. After checking it out I decided that it would do the trick for the night.

This being after labour day, the campground was not very busy. In fact I was the only camper in the tent section where I was.  

The following pictures were taken in the campground. I did not expect the beautiful sunset over the water. Too bad I didn’t have a pro camera.

Boardwalk in Shippagan camping  

Campsite for the night in Shippagan camping

Sunset over Shippagan Bay

Sunset over Shippagan Bay

V'Nez nous ouère.

2005 - Banff Run   2006 - National   2007- SNOT II   2008 - National   2009 - ESTN    2010 - National & SNOB I  2012- National  2013 - SNOB III & ESTN  2014 - WCRM
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Acadian Rider

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:17:45 am »

The next morning I crossed over to the Island of Lamèque and got two more lighthouses.

I had to take a picture of the first one from a distance because it was located on a road of deep sand and I had nobody with me to help pick up the bike in the likely event that I went down. Furthermore I had taken my skid plate off the bike to change the oil and filter and clean it and had not installed it back on.

Big Shippagan Lighthouse on Lamèque Island

Between the first lighthouse and second lighthouse on Lamèque Island I stopped at the Sainte-Cécile Church in Petite-Rivière-De-l’Île where there is an International Baroque Music Festival every year. It is billed as the oldest Baroque Music Festival in Canada and I dare say most likely the most remote one.  

Here’s a promo clip in French with English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYzCGW7BFA

Sainte-Cécile Church in Petite-Rivière-De-l’Île on Lamèque Island

I did not pick the ugly colours

After the interlude I got to the Black Point Lighthouse nearby. That one is a working lighthouse. There are not many of those left.  

Black Point Lighthouse

Until 1996 you had to take a ferry to get to Miscou Island from Lamèque Island. Since then, there is a bridge connecting the two. Miscou Island has only 530 inhabitants according to the 2016 census.

Bridge to / from Miscou Island

Fishing boats on Miscou Island

Most people that go to Miscou Island go there to see the lighthouse. It is open to the public for a fee. I did not go in.  

Miscou Island Lighthouse

Miscou Island Lighthouse
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:25:34 am by Acadian Rider » Logged

V'Nez nous ouère.

2005 - Banff Run   2006 - National   2007- SNOT II   2008 - National   2009 - ESTN    2010 - National & SNOB I  2012- National  2013 - SNOB III & ESTN  2014 - WCRM
Acadian Rider

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:25:10 am »

Back the other way now and heading towards Bas-Caraquet and Caraquet. On my way I stopped in Shippagan again and took some pictures of the fishing boats out of the water.  

Fishing boats in Shippagan

Recently I had heard in the news that a 14 year old was arrested for torching the Roman Catholic Church in Bas-Caraquet. Sad indeed.  I had totally forgotten about it until a saw the remains of the building.

Burned Roman Catholic Church in Bas-Caraquet

The Caraquet Range Rear Lighthouse in Bas-Caraquet is one where you can get close enough to photograph.  

Caraquet Range Rear Lighthouse in Bas-Caraquet

The Pointe-à-Brideau Rear Lighthouse is located in Caraquet not far from you guessed it Bas-Caraquet.  

Pointe-à-Brideau Lighthouse in Caraquet

And now on to the last lighthouse I got before heading back home. This one is another one painted in the colours of the Acadian flag.

Grande-Anse Lighthouse painted in the colours of the Acadian flag

That is it folks. I left home after lunch on Sep 4, 2018 and got back home for supper the next day after a ride of about 700 km (435 miles) in beautiful weather.    

V'Nez nous ouère.

Advertisement

jay547

Reputation 279

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3678

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:21 am »

Excellent!  Thumbsup

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
NinjaLady

Reputation 99

GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 76

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:10:36 am »

Beautiful scenery and thank you for sharing.
kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 488

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:33 am »

Hey wait a minute -- you have an ADV bike that doesn't go off road?   Razz

Great pics --- thanks for sharing....
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 3299

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 12:12:48 pm »

Good pictures

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
Formerly Known as Bigfoot

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yamaha RSV
Miles Typed: 2870

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 05:36:21 am »

I'm always envious of your trip reports and I want whatever job you have that allows for all this travel.  I'd love to visit that area.  I wish I'd known you before my 30 day tour of New England back in 09 when I retired from my first career.  I had a great time but could have used a little advice from someone more local.
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2022 Ducati Multistrada V4S
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:07:13 am »

Well done!

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Acadian Rider

Reputation 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:02 am »

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody.  

Hey wait a minute -- you have an ADV bike that doesn't go off road?   Razz

Lol Yes I know. It is a beast to pick up by yourself. As mentioned, I wouldn't be able to do it in the sand.

I did plenty of dirt and gravel roads this summer during my trip to Alaska and back. I am now working on a ride report. I'm up to day 23 of 47 days.  

I'm always envious of your trip reports and I want whatever job you have that allows for all this travel.  I'd love to visit that area.  I wish I'd known you before my 30 day tour of New England back in 09 when I retired from my first career.  I had a great time but could have used a little advice from someone more local.

I have now been fully retired for about 2 1/2 years and enjoying every second of it and when I was working I had a flexible employer.

Fire the questions if you ever come up this way and if you do come and I'm around I can be a local guide.    

V'Nez nous ouère.

Rocky

Reputation 13

GPS: Nova Scotia, Canada
Miles Typed: 182

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:02:58 am »

Great pictures. Thanks for the tour.
I rode most of that route myself about 12 years ago.

Still rockin', rollin' and ridin' after all these years
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal