pods_52

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Suzuki GSX650F
GPS: Northern Ontario Canada
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:59:21 am »

I missed my July trip this year, so am looking for an area to head to in late September, early October. I've got 2 weeks to get out of northern Ontario (1 day north of Detroit), spend some time riding the state and get home. Weather is a factor, and Arkansas is looking the best at the moment for weather, distance and a place I've not ridden before.

I follow "Top 100 motorcycle roads in U.S." and they list 6 in AR (plus 1 in Eastern OK),  but some have only been rated by 1 rider. So I'm looking to riders for some feedback on riding in AR.

Thanks!

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1272

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:45:47 am »

Take nearly any squiggly road N of I30 and west of Little Rock and you're good. Make your hotel stay in Russellville and you're in day-trip distances to a lot of good roads (Pig Trail, Push Mountain, etc.). One loop I especially liked was out of Russellville:

I40 W out of Russellville, N on AR23 (Pig Trail) past Brasheirs, go a little bit into MO to St. Paul, then S on 112 (AKA 1518). Keep following it SE (whether it's marked as 121 or 1518) where it might change markers to 4448 down to 502. Take 502 E to 33 and take it S to 215 (there's a nice loop along 1540 that takes you back to 33 and then on to 215. Just W of Oark, take 103 S through Clarksville and then back to I40.

A little farther south is Queen Wilhemina State Park (if you can get reservations at the lodge, and like the prices, then it's nice). The ride that's best is E to W along what is known as Talimena Screnic Byway. Start in Mena, AR, head W on 88, pass the lodge, then continue along OK 1 (same road) and end in Talahina, OK. It's a state park so mind the posted speed limits.

Stay out of Branson, MO (traffic made up of blue hairs) and Hot Springs (always seems traffic jammed).

Watch the weather. It's been monsoon season in this area for the past 2 weeks. Sept is when the 100 temps break and Fall starts but it's also the beginning of thunderstorm season. Highs have dropped to the mid-to-high 80s (lows in the 60s when, 2 weeks ago, the dawn low was 85) but at the cost of increased humidity and rain so hard that visibility can sometimes be an issue.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:49:58 am by Bounce » Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
jay547

Reputation 252

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2932

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:09:54 pm »

A little farther south is Queen Wilhemina State Park (if you can get reservations at the lodge, and like the prices, then it's nice). The ride that's best is E to W along what is known as Talimena Screnic Byway. Start in Mena, AR, head W on 88, pass the lodge, then continue along OK 1 (same road) and end in Talahina, OK. It's a state park so mind the posted speed limits.

That's probably the one Oklahoma road they mentioned. I highly recommend it. It's more scenic than sporty but still fun. The lodge was recently remodeled but we stayed in the campground so I can't really comment on it.

My favorite Arkansas road is 123 from Mt. Judea to Hagarville. Nice scenery, fun curves, good surface, no traffic.

pods, what are the six they listed? I've probably ridden them all and maybe can advise.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Advertisement

pods_52

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Suzuki GSX650F
GPS: Northern Ontario Canada
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:20:24 pm »

Thanks guys!  I'll get these routes on the map coming from the State.  The roads recommended on "Top 100" are Pig Trail, Push Mtn., Talimpana Byway, AR DRagon/123, Ozark HIghlands/Hwy 21, and Sylamore Byway.  Excuse the spelling. Appreciate the weather warning too, disregarded the Colorado monsoons last year.. made for some '"fun" on top of a mountain or two.

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:57 am »

On ANY of these roads, never out ride your sight lines. Always be able to stop as if there is a large farm vehicle stopped and blocking the whole road around the next curve because it very well may be.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 06:30:50 am »

I enjoyed AR-7.

Lots of lazy, S-curves with towns few and far between.

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:53:05 am »

I enjoyed AR-7.

Lots of lazy, S-curves with towns few and far between.

A cruiser's paradise. I used it to relax after riding the technical stuff for about 6 hours.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal