Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: New to sport touring. Need advice on 'new' bike selection  (Read 7167 times)

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 09:17:53 pm »

“Sport Touring” is less about the bike and more about the rider, IMO.  You can “sporttour” on virtually any bike.  The original concept was to take a bike that was “sport” oriented, puts some luggage on it, and head out on the road in search of new twisty roads to ride and conquer.  The bikes that have been mentioned are all solid choices.   It are they right for YOU?  The only opinion that really counts is YOURS.  Find a bike that you are comfortable on and that you want to ride.  One that fits you and your wants and needs.  Don’t be surprised if your first choice is not your last choice.  Most of us have been through multiple bikes before we found “our” bike.  Many of us still haven’t found “it” and continue to try new bikes, still looking for the “one”.  But even if we haven’t found the bike that is perfect for us, we’ve still ridden all of the bikes in similar fashions. Most bikes are just more capable in some areas than others.  Be it handling, power, comfort, relatability, braking, smoothness, wind protection, etc etc. etc.  All bikes are somewhat of a compromise.  Only you know what is really important for you, and usually it takes living with several different ones for a time before that even becomes clear to ourselves.  Even that can change over time.  The bikes I have now are much different than the bikes I had 10-20 years ago, but they are right for me NOW.  Would they have been 10 years ago?  Maybe, maybe not.   Will they be in another 10 years?  Who knows.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Delegate1k

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2007 FJR1300A, Wee-Strom 05 (deceased)
GPS: Colchester, Ct
Miles Typed: 369

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:26 pm »

No one here's mentioned it, but how about a BMW F800GT.  I have a friend who is all of 5'2" and loves his.

Imagination is Intelligence at play. :}
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 06:45:43 am »

^. Those are a great bike!  Not to difficult to find well taken care of used ones too.  

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Advertisement

Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 08:43:31 am »

Forgive me if I repeat...

The Suzuki Bandit 1250 is a good do-it-all bike.

Great price, easy to maintain and
the Givi bags actually look good on it.

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01626/Suzuki-1250GT_1626558c.jpg

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Daboo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW F800GT
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 11:48:47 pm »

I'll put in a second recommendation for the BMW F800GT.

Here's a picture of mine taken on a trip from Seattle to San Mateo along Hwy 101.

The F800GT is about what you're looking for.  As a commuter, it is excellent.  Comfortable, enough fairing to keep the cold and rain off you, but not so much you can't move through traffic easily.  If you're splitting lanes in California, it would be excellent.  It has a belt drive, so there's no chain to clean and adjust.  It also has some nice features like ABS and traction control.  Heated grips.  Gas mileage will range from 48 or so to 70 mpg, all dependent on the type of riding you're doing.

It's also sized about perfect for people like us.  I'm 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam.  The GT fits like a glove for me.

I've used mine for daily commuting in all kinds of Seattle weather, to touring over almost every state west of the Rockies and into Canada.  I've never felt like I wanted a different bike.

I bought mine used, and I suggest you do the same.  You'll save a lot in depreciation and potentially get a good deal on the accessories and mods the previous owner added.  The first owner of mine is a retired cardiologist.  He spared no expense to putting on the best mods.  Madstad windshield...the best airflow management I've ever experienced.  No buffeting at all.  Lowered foot pegs.  Bar risers.  SW-Motech Trax 37 liter side cases and a 46 liter GIVI top case.

New, they are pretty pricey.  Used...they are going dirt cheap.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894   John 14:6
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 01:23:44 pm »

I'll put in a second recommendation for the BMW F800GT.

Actually, 3rd.  I recommended the F800 ST/GTs back in reply 7.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
bimbim18

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2003 Honda Shadow 750
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 09:01:53 pm »

hmm 2 more recommendations for the FG800GT.

My curiousity is peaked again about this bike

@daboo & @delegate1k

What year were yours and how was the reliability/maintenance?

Thanks.
Daboo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW F800GT
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 09:59:04 pm »

I have a 2014 F800GT with 34,000 miles on it so far.  I picked it up in 2016, as a used version.  It's been totally trouble-free.  I've replaced the tires and the rear brake pads.  The fronts still look like new.  The drive belt is an expensive replacement item.  I picked mine up from Bob's BMW with a 15% discount.  It's supposed to be changed at 24,000 miles, but mine still looks like new.  It's not hard to change, unless you use the BMW procedure.  There's a YouTube video showing a guy changing his in about 15-20 minutes in a parking lot.

I had the valves checked a few weeks ago for the first time.  They were all still in spec.  This is one of those YMMV items, but with shims, they should stay within spec.  Someone has hit over 150,000 miles on theirs and had no issues.  It might've been that same member of the F800Riders.org forum who said the valves would stay in spec for the next 100,000 miles.  I suspect there's some truth in that.

I had a Honda NT700V before this F800GT.  I had no intentions of selling the bike.  It ate up miles on the freeway and wasn't too bad in twisties.  But this F800GT is much better.  One measurement I've found is what I feel like after my favorite ride.  I love riding to Artist Point on Mt. Baker.  It's a minimum 7 hour round trip, not counting any stops.  I usually will hike up there for a couple hours too.  Anyway, when I came home with the NT700V, I wasn't exhausted...but a nap was really nice.  I came home on the F800GT the first time...realized I wasn't wanting a nap...but that this would be a good time to mow my yard.  That's a huge difference in how nice the bike is for extended riding.

In the Summer of 2017, I went with a Goldwing rider to Utah from Seattle.  We did some all day riding through the Great Basin to put the boring portion out of the way.  There were some huge storms going through and we rode for hours into strong headwinds and cross-winds.  The cross-winds were strong enough that I felt like they would rip my helmet off if it wasn't strapped on tight.  I wanted to stop while on the Hogback on US12 to plug my Sena 10C in so it would charge.  In about 30 seconds, I realized I had to keep moving.  The wind was so strong, I couldn't keep the bike upright...yet it was fine while moving.

BTW, the wind was bothering him as much as it bothered me...and he weighed close to 300 lbs, and his bike weighs what?...900 lbs?

We would get to our hotel once we got to the national parks, and my riding partner was exhausted.  Remember, he was on a Goldwing.  I dumped my bags and took off to go hiking.  I wasn't tired.

One other advantage I found in getting a light (470 lbs wet) bike, is that you can park it easily.  I stopped many times on my trips this summer and took pictures.  It doesn't sound like much, but I know that on my Honda NT700V that weighed 100 lbs more, there were times I'd decide to pass on a photo opportunity, simply because I didn't want to manhandle that weight on a narrow road shoulder.  And I never worry about the angle of the parking space I pull into.  It's never an issue.  In fact, like when I pull the bike out of the garage in the morning, it is a delight.

I got long-winded.  Smile  You asked about maintenance issues and I had very little to pass on to you.  It just runs and runs and runs.  A belt drive is like a shaft drive for maintenance.  You bring the bike into the garage after your commute, dripping wet.  You get your laptop bag out of the luggage, walk into the house to get dinner...and leave the bike out in the garage dripping wet.  The next morning, you go out and turn on the ignition and ride off.  There's no chain to clean, lube or adjust.  Sweet.

There are some magazine reviewers that say the bike has no character.  I've come to realize that probably means it has no flaws.  Everything the bike does, it does without fuss or bother.  I was riding with a guy on a Ducati shortly after I bought the bike.  I saw two LEOs on the side of the road.  The speed limit was 55 mph, and I figured I was doing about 60, so looked down to see what it actually was.  Oh my gosh!  I'm doing 90 mph and it doesn't feel like it at all!  Luckily, they  were enjoying their coffee or something because they left us alone.

If you'd like...I'll tell you what I really feel about the bike.  Bigsmile Bigsmile Bigsmile

P.S.  On the F800Riders.org forum, you'll find two issues some people have.  Some people complain about vibration.  I don't have it at all.  It's the smoothest bike I've owned.  Others claim the engine heat is enough to scald their thighs.  I feel it...sometimes...but not often.  And it isn't any worse than my Honda was.  I don't know if their problems are real, or just that those owners are more sensitive.  If you get to looking at one, just watch for those two things.  Those two issues don't seem prevalent, but if they turned out to be on the bike you buy, they would be a problem.  Better safe, than sorry.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894   John 14:6
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal